Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2001 5:36:40 AM EDT
I got to go to the gun range the other day and my friend had got a new STG58 and let me shot it and I loved it.

I'd just like to know from a few guy's who have them how hard is it to replace your Gas piston for this rifle and do you need and special tool because he want's to get a new gas piston from DSA and he was wondering how hard it was to do. Thanks for the help.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks so easy that I think that I can even do it. Be sure to have him get "the" book on it.
Should be about $10 from DSA.
I have one of these rifles too. I really like it. Real dependable also. Get one yourself :)
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
pulling the gas piston is part of basic cleaning on this rifle.

push button on gas plug, turn gas plug.

your friend needs the manual:
[url]http://gallery.uunet.be/pevame/pevame/falmanual.htm[/url]

great rifles.  i've got a couple and i don't miss the AR10 at all anymore.

scott out
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#3]
They're great rifles that run without a problem all day and night long. The best 7.62 NATO rifle at the price.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I handled a Century FAL at the range yesterday for the 1st time. It was a nice looking gun but I was amazed and supremely disappointed by the sights. I have never in my life seen such a piss poor set up where by you have to cram your face into the buttstock to be able to see through the sights. I was barely able to get a sight picture. Some one throw me a bone, is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Getsome,

The US made stock that Century Arms uses on their FAL clones is apparantly made for people with no cheekbones. Many people replace it with a US made stock of the proper profile. On the plus side, the unusually high comb of the Century stock probably works well with a scope mount.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd just like to know from a few guy's who have them how hard is it to replace your Gas piston for this rifle and do you need and special tool because he want's to get a new gas piston from DSA and he was wondering how hard it was to do. Thanks for the help.  
View Quote

Your friend's smart to replace the gas rod.  It's a breeze to remove, but remember to lock the bolt back (or just unhinge the gun) when putting the plug back on.  Otherwise the rod is stopped by the bolt, and you can't get the plug completely in. Took me a while to figure that out [:I]
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I handled a Century FAL at the range yesterday for the 1st time. It was a nice looking gun but I was amazed and supremely disappointed by the sights. I have never in my life seen such a piss poor set up where by you have to cram your hear into the buttstock to be able to see through the sights. I was barely able to get a sight picture. Some one throw me a bone, is this normal?
View Quote

A lot of guys replace the mil stock with a humpback from Penguin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I took a buddy to the steel plate shoot today with his new Century L1A1 inch with a metric Imbel receiver. He paid $460.00 for it. In my opinion an incredible value. Reliable and very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm also thinking of one the one I'm looking at is a STG58 with 2-20rd mags new barrel is a  Styer Century with the Imbel receiver and it's going to cost me $479.00.

I don't know if I should save up the money to buy the DSA one or not.

With the Styer one for about the same price a little less then the DSA rifle. I can get 6 mags ,A DSA scope mount ,the Gas piston,The FAL manual and 1000rd of ammo. For about $768 or something in the $750+ range.

I don't know if I should just go with this or save up for the DSA rifle tell me what you think.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Edited by garandman
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
btt
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Edited by garandman
View Quote

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a L1A1 on a IMBEL receiver.  It is my favorite 7.62 rifle right now.  I bought this one complete.
I just ordered a L1A1 and FAL G1 parts kits from Tapco.  I will be buying receivers for these in the next few months.  I have put together a few AR's, and figured to give the FAL a shot.  
If anyone was going to get a L1A1 kit, I would act soon, because it seems like the ones being shipped are getting worse and worse as time goes by.  I have seen kits (a friends)that was shipped last winter had crisp almost new barrels and 95% finish.  The kit that I just seen (same friend for second rifle build up) had a useable bore and 40%-50% finish, with deep surface rust.  I hope mine are at least this good when they arrive.
I can really get into buying FAL magazines.  I just bought 15 used 20rnd magazines from DSA for $5.00 each.  Finish on these magazines ranged from 75% to 95%.  

OSA
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know how many mags you need to buy from DSA to get the discount price? Also how hard is it to place a new barrel on a STG58 what type of tools does it take?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top