Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
10/30/2020 2:42:12 PM
Posted: 1/1/2004 8:24:04 PM EDT
The guy next to me was breaking his in.

He let me squeeze off a few rounds. Wow! All I can say is, I could barely keep a grip on it.

The recoil was that bad. I can't imagine what it would be like without the gas-operated action.

It made the .357 mag snubbie that I was shooting feel like a .22 in comparison.

I also let him shoot my Beretta CX4. He'd never even heard of it. He's one of those gun nuts that don't get on the internet I guess.

All he said was, "I got to get me one of these!"
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:26:07 PM EDT
I shot [b]EricE's[/b] Desert Eagle and thought the kick was worse than my .454 Casull...every else said the opposite.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:30:40 PM EDT
Makes me wonder what this cartridge will do to a person...I mean what is the energy imparted to target?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:34:03 PM EDT
I think it comes close in comparison to 45/70, doesn't it?

I mean, .458 SOCOM is something close to the .50 ae Beowulf, right?  And since the closest comparison to the .458 SOCOM in the 45/70 marlin........
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:34:53 PM EDT
Well I think there's no doubt that the cartridge offers conclusive stopping power.  But I had the same thought as you, I'm used to shooting a 6 inch S&W .44 mag but I swear the Deagle tried to jump clear out of both hands, I almost dropped the damn thing in the mud!

I used to have a Deagle in .44 mag for a short period of time, and its recoil was much more managable than the S&W with the same loads.  A real joy to shoot, and made a pretty good fireworks display with H110 powder.  Still, its really a cartoon or a caricature of a handgun IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:36:02 PM EDT
I had the privilege to shoot one that belonged to a friend of mine.  After 3 shots, I had enough.  The area between my thumb and fore finger of my palm was sore for the rest of the day.  At least I can say I've actually shot one.  I kept the 3 cases too.  I did like the looks I got when shooting it.  Just about everyone on the line stopped shooting and stared at me.  It was like that range scene from RoboCop.  [:D]

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:45:03 PM EDT
Yeah, as for quick follow up shots or double taps with the DE .50,

hahahaha!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:49:30 PM EDT
Raven, the Beowulf isn't a true .50 AE, its based on that cartridge but is very different.  There are .50 AE uppers out there, I think Tromix made some, but the Beowulf is a different animal, it is its own cartridge.

Info on the .50 Beowulf:
[url]http://www.alexanderarms.com/beoammo.html[/url]

The casing is different from the .50AE:
[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=874879[/url]

I was right, the .50AE uppers were made by Tromix:
[url]http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_50AE.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:15:34 PM EDT
Not too long back at an indoor range somewhere I read that a guy rented a .50 Desert Eagle and bought a box of ammo.  After a few rounds, he'd had enough, and brought the pistol back out to the counter with the leftover ammo, and left.  

The counter guy, who had never fired the .50DE, took the pistol and ammo back onto the range.

Best guess of the coroner was that the gun got away from him on the first round.  Trying to keep from dropping it, he somehow discharged the second round into his head.

Ruling:  Death by accidental gunshot wound.

That's a LOT of recoil.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:17:26 PM EDT
Yah, I fired one once..in an indoor range.

You didn't hear it, you felt the concussion.

And just like everyone else...after a couple rounds, I had had enough of it.

Of course, I went through the rest of the 20 round box of ammo I bought for it (a rental at the range where I happened to be). Couldn't stop shooting it when I had ammo left for it. That would have been unmanly. [:)]

Developed a real nasty flinch after the 10th round or so...I didn't *completly* limp-wrist it, but after those first 10-12 rounds, I didn't  hit paper past 25 feet...I was flinching that badly with the thing. Didn't stovepipe it, though. (If you limpwrist one of those things, it'll stovepipe constantly. You can get away with limpwristing a 9mm or even a .45 most of the time, but not that monster..)

It's neat, if I ever need to stop Godzilla, a T-72, or 15 people in a line at once. (Front to back, not left to right.)

Now...if they made something like that, but put a stock on it and a longer barrel...(and kept it kinda heavy)...it'd make a damn handy carbine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:19:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker:
Not too long back at an indoor range somewhere I read that a guy rented a .50 Desert Eagle and bought a box of ammo.  After a few rounds, he'd had enough, and brought the pistol back out to the counter with the leftover ammo, and left.  

The counter guy, who had never fired the .50DE, took the pistol and ammo back onto the range.

Best guess of the coroner was that the gun got away from him on the first round.  Trying to keep from dropping it, he somehow discharged the second round into his head.

Ruling:  Death by accidental gunshot wound.

That's a LOT of recoil.
View Quote

...and that's another reason to always finish your box of ammo at a rental range.

That sucks [:(] [:(]

The first 5 rounds I shot from the one I rented, I loaded singly into magazines. Rounds 6-10 were in one mag, but the other 5 rounds had the magazine all to themselves..I was too damn afraid of it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:23:24 PM EDT
If you guys had ever fired a AutoMag 5 in 50AE you would not think so bad of it in a handgun.

The DE is the hardest kicking of all 50s.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:24:59 PM EDT
Bah...

Hang onto her and go for the ride.  I love the DE50.  The beachball muzzle flash is outstanding at night.  Resembles a meteor coming out of the barrel.  BIG.

First time I shot my 50AE, it shot low, and hit the base of my target and blew the sawhorse in two, vaporized the eggplant, blew out the plywood behind it, knocked over a file cabinet, hit the gravel bank behind it, and caused a slope failure, sending 10 yards of dirt sliding down the other side of the berm.

Loved that gun.  Ended up selling it though, but just recently bought another DE in 44mag.  A much better shooting experience.  Takes the 44mag round and makes it feel like a wimpy 45auto.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:25:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2004 9:26:15 PM EDT by raven]
Originally Posted By -Duke-Nukem-:
Raven, the Beowulf isn't a true .50 AE, its based on that cartridge but is very different.  There are .50 AE uppers out there, I think Tromix made some, but the Beowulf is a different animal, it is its own cartridge.

Info on the .50 Beowulf:
[url]http://www.alexanderarms.com/beoammo.html[/url]

The casing is different from the .50AE:
[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=874879[/url]

I was right, the .50AE uppers were made by Tromix:
[url]http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_50AE.htm[/url]

View Quote

Wow.  I thought it was an upper for the .50 AE.  Thanks for the edification.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:26:08 PM EDT
Now I would love to get the DE .44 mag.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:28:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
I shot [b]EricE's[/b] Desert Eagle and thought the kick was worse than my .454 Casull...every else said the opposite.
View Quote

Pansy.  [:X]

I shot both the DE .50 and the Taurus .454, and I have to say that they are both brutal, but the .454 is slightly worse.

As I recall, when Wolfpack shot the .50, he dropped the gun and ran around in circles screaming like a girl that his wrist was broken.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:32:16 PM EDT
The guy got the DE .50AE as a present for their 10th anniversary. The wife was there as well, and she shot the gun, too (just one round, as I recall).

You have to admire a woman like that (and she was around 5'2" if that).
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:33:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
If you guys had ever fired a AutoMag 5 in 50AE you would not think so bad of it in a handgun.

The DE is the hardest kicking of all 50s.
View Quote

I'll vouch for that...only because I can't imagine anything kicking harder than that at the moment [:)]

Reminds me of one of the hired hands at my local funstore...who, while is probably not a bad guy, raises serious doubts to his ability to find his ass with both hands and a flashlight at times. One time I overheard him telling a customer that he had hunted with a DE .50...he put a scope on it (fine), braced it on his left forearm, and would shoot it one-handed.

This pegged my BS meter at the "man the lifeboats, we're going under" level.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:37:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:44:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

Reminds me of one of the hired hands at my local funstore...who, while is probably not a bad guy, raises serious doubts to his ability to find his ass with both hands and a flashlight at times. One time I overheard him telling a customer that he had hunted with a DE .50...he put a scope on it (fine), braced it on his left forearm, and would shoot it one-handed.

View Quote

I have owned a DE Mark XIX .50AE for a few (six or seven) years. I bought this new with a serial number less than 200 of the first ones made in the USA.
Last Saturday I fired forty rounds through this pistol one handed. I do not understand what the claims are of excessive recoil. I find a .44 mag revolver to have much more recoil than the DE.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:46:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AILapua:
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

View Quote

I have owned a DE Mark XIX .50AE for a few (six or seven) years. I bought this new with a serial number less than 200 of the first ones made in the USA.
Last Saturday I fired forty rounds through this pistol one handed. I do not understand what the claims are of excessive recoil. I find a .44 mag revolver to have much more recoil than the DE.
View Quote

I only fired four rounds through the DE in succession. It may be that I needed to get used to the recoil, as it was the hardest recoiling gun I have fired to date.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:55:12 PM EDT
As long as the bullets are going down range and the brass bottles are not cracking you in the forehead, all is well.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:55:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DVDTracker:
I shot one at Armored Fire, north of Minneapolis.  Put 20 rounds through it.  For me, recoil was hefty but manageable.

[url]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Vacations/Minneapolis.%20June%202002/Pete%20&%20Desert%20Eagle%2050AE%2001.jpg[/url]

Here it is in recoil, and I think you can see the shell ejecting.  I was trying to do some rapid fire with it, but the muzzle blast kept blowing the target back (see the pic).
[url]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Vacations/Minneapolis.%20June%202002/Pete%20&%20Desert%20Eagle%2050AE%2002.jpg[/url]

I found it to be pretty accurate.  I'd love to have one, but I don't need another gun that costs a $1/round to shoot.  
[url]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Vacations/Minneapolis.%20June%202002/Desert%20Eagle%20Target.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Damn man,  when were you in MN?  That is the indoor range alot of us go to.

I rented one there when they had free Glock and Desert Eagle rentals.  Gun rental was free but I had to pay $22-24 for a box of 20.

The one I shot was either a piece of crap or worn out.  The slide lock didn't work,  and I wasn't used to the death grip required to keep it from failing to feed.  Useless for anything but abusing your hand and putting a grin on your face IMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:59:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:01:33 PM EDT
at one of the bowling pin matches I went to with my grandpa in Ca a guy had one in 50aw we  couldnt resuse the bowling pins after he got done. You would pick a pin up to reset up and it would literaly fall apart becouse the wood splintered inside so bad.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:05:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jakezor:
View Quote

That was June '02, after the BRC.  I only put one box through it, but the DE I shot worked fine.

I'll post in the Hometown forum the next time I'm in MN.  Lots of family there, but I fear that my next trip will be for my grandfather's funeral.  He has prostate cancer and was given 6-12 months during his last checkup.
View Quote

HAH!

That's where I rented mine from, too [:D] I was out at our MN office for a couple weeks...grabbed a friend from the office, and went to check the place out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:05:40 PM EDT
View Quote

That was June '02, after the BRC.  I only put one box through it, but the DE I shot worked fine.

I'll post in the Hometown forum the next time I'm in MN.  Lots of family there, but I fear that my next trip will be for my grandfather's funeral.  He has prostate cancer and was given 6-12 months during his last checkup.
View Quote

Ok it was a while ago then.

Let us know,  always good to meet others on the board.

Hope your next visit to Minnesota isn't for that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:07:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gunbert:
Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
View Quote

Pansy.  [:X]

I shot both the DE .50 and the Taurus .454, and I have to say that they are both brutal, but the .454 is slightly worse.

As I recall, when Wolfpack shot the .50, he dropped the gun and ran around in circles screaming like a girl that his wrist was broken.
View Quote

Yea ok, what's your point? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:07:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AILapua:
View Quote

Either you're really, really used to it, you have some kind of compensator hanging off of the end, or you're shooting some underpowered loads [:D]

Not saying it can't be done, but it's not something I'll believe until I see it...
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:29:56 PM EDT
I shot a .50 in a rifle, and it was manageable, but still quite a beast.

Don't get me started on what a .475 Tremor will do to your shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:08:49 PM EDT
I shoot a friends .50AE Desert Eagle regularly and don't find it all that bad but then again, I like shooting his .460 Weatherby too.

[BD]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:33:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2004 11:38:41 PM EDT by luger355]
i agree with osprey, I've shot the 50 DE many times even one handed. It's not comfortable but it is possible.
Ive also shot 44mag hand loads out of a buds contender that were a lot more punishing.

The trick to shooting the big boys is not to put the death grip on em and attempt to man handle the recoil.
Pull the trigger and let em fly. It makes your magnum experience a lot more fun[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:02:04 AM EDT
I shot one at Armored Fire, north of Minneapolis.  Put 20 rounds through it.  For me, recoil was hefty but manageable.

[url]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Vacations/Minneapolis.%20June%202002/Pete%20&%20Desert%20Eagle%2050AE%2001.jpg[/url]

Here it is in recoil, and I think you can see the shell ejecting.  I was trying to do some rapid fire with it, but the muzzle blast kept blowing the target back (see the pic).
[url]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Vacations/Minneapolis.%20June%202002/Pete%20&%20Desert%20Eagle%2050AE%2002.jpg[/url]

I found it to be pretty accurate.  I'd love to have one, but I don't need another gun that costs a $1/round to shoot.  
[url]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Vacations/Minneapolis.%20June%202002/Desert%20Eagle%20Target.jpg[/url]
View Quote

I rented one there when they had free Glock and Desert Eagle rentals.  Gun rental was free but I had to pay $22-24 for a box of 20.

The one I shot was either a piece of crap or worn out.  The slide lock didn't work,  and I wasn't used to the death grip required to keep it from failing to feed.  Useless for anything but abusing your hand and putting a grin on your face IMO.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing when I read his post, Jakezor!

I, too, have shot that very same D.E. 50 handgun a few years ago, my brother did as well.  It never FTF'd on me though.  Armored Fire has become notorious for never cleaning their rental guns, and they gum up & jam (often the case with their 9mm handguns).  When I rent there, I REQUEST that they at least lube them before sending me out on the range with it...  But somehow I doubt dirt or carbon deposits could stop the .50 from cycling properly.  [;D]

I burned through a whole magazine with it, and it certainly is 'flinch-inducing'.  It jumped around a lot, but I never dropped it.  I hit all the shots on C.O.M. and was happy with the results.  I liked how when you're standing 10' BEHIND the person shooting that D.E., that you can STILL feel the blast rustling/blowing your clothes a decent amount.

Tracker, Sorry to hear about your grandfather.  I hope that the doctors were wrong and he is able to enjoy life for a while longer.  Please post in the Hometown forum next time you stop in.  Some of us might have some time to go over to Armored Fire for fun, or to a bar or something.  Occasionally we have "ARFCOM MN B.D.A. - AR15.com Minnesota Beer Drinker's Association" meetings as well...  Hopefully we can organize another ARFCOM MN BDA meeting soon.  There's a MN AR15.com shoot in St Cloud, MN this sunday 12 noon too.

Let us know when you're in town.  All the liberals love those Peace pins I bought and often wear...  Until they look closer!  [shock]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:10:36 AM EDT
A few years ago, on a memorable trip to a local indoor range, I was introduced to MR. Desert Eagle .50 AE.  I was shooting a custom ported 686 with hot loads and a slicked-up HP.  Soon, .357 (not SIG) brass is rattling into my stall!  “Okay, someone’s got a Coonan.”  I dutifully collected the brass to return to its owner.  The 686 blast would wake folks in adjoining stalls, but I soon felt a real shock wave from six stalls down. Upon returning the brass, I discovered the owners of the Coonan to be some LE types, and after they saw and fired my handguns, they presented the .50 AE and broke out a full-auto 9mm AR.

Shooting the AR was a pleasant diversion, but the Desert Eagle was truly a wooly mammoth.  I had a difficult time gripping it (I’m not a big guy), but went into a locked isosceles and slow-fired five rounds.  I then foolishly decided to return to a firm Weaver stance:  the recoil of the shot whipped that big beast BEHIND my head, missing the temple of my glasses by scant millimeters.

I’m sure it would be a great hog gun for my brother (6’4”, 260).
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:15:44 AM EDT
I've shot 50AE DEs a couple times, and while the recoil was robust, it wasn't nearly as painful as the 4 inch S&W 44 Mag I used to have when shot with full-house Magnum ammo.  It had a hard push, but a push nonetheless.
What WAS impressive was the beach-ball size fireball it created at the indoor range...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:20:12 AM EDT
... My .50AE does not recoil as severely as my S&W 500 magnum. Not even close.

[img]http://members.cox.net/stevenaz1/4holes.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:58:43 AM EDT
Am I missing something here? I've shot one of these in 50AE and I honestly didn't find the recoil all that bad. I'm not a big guy (5'10", 160)or hefty. The DE seemed to have a lot of push and some muzzle rise but painful? Not really. The gun has got to weigh about 4 lbs or so and is gas operated. That is bound to soak up some recoil. I have a 44 mountain gun that I think has a sharper recoil but still managable; I'm good for 50-100 rounds with it. I did shoot a 454 taurus and even that didn't seem that bad. I'm assuming the porting helps a lot. What's bad is J-frame with full-house .357 loads and 158 grain bullets. Now THAT smarts and is very sharp. For me, bolt rifles off a bench are tough though. 20-30 rounds through my LTR and I'm done. That little sucker kicks. 200 rounds through the FAL though and no prob; it must be the gas operation and weight.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:15:56 AM EDT
I have one of tony tromix's .50ae uppers on an AR, imagine the energy of that round out of a 16" barrel.

it is amazing, and does recoil!
Top Top