Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 6:41:55 PM EDT
Thinking of doing my 18 inch 870 to a 14 inch, and a buddy thought I would be able to do the Form 1 and select the "fee" box, due to the weapon being soley used for LE work.

Is it this simple or are there other steps beside the normal For 1 process?

Note: my Chief is not real gun friendly so I usually have my progun Sheriff sign, would this be an issue?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is a personal shotty, you have to pay the tax, if it is an agency weapon, no tax paid.  That is my understanding, but not gospel!

As far as the Form 1, it's pretty straightforward.  You should also have no problem w/ the S.O. signing off rather than your chief, and you can also get the Director of the State Police, or some Judges.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You plan to use this weapon for duty use?  You feel your chief won't sign the NFA forms permiting it's creation?  You use this weapon in a justified shoot.  Where do you suppose your chief will be?  Something to think about.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I am issued a 14" Remington 870 and I would trade it in a second for an 18" barrel with more magazine capacity through an extended tube.  In my mind, it has never been worth the trade off in ammunition loss.

I would leave it like it is and put an extended magazine on it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
An agency south of me issues 14 inchers which I though was cool as shit but the guys didn't seem to like them much at all. The form 1 and a 200 tax be required if it's your gun if its not you still got paper to do just no tax.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top