Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/1/2002 3:01:05 PM EDT
Does anyone know if there is any way that I can legally register a new home-finished receiver as a short barrelled rifle? I know that I can get a shorty conversion done on a form 1 (I think that's the form) upon submission of the paperwork with LEO signoff if it's done with a branded and serialed lower, but can I do this on a homebrewed lower? I'm not too concerned about 'assault rifle' features. I don't have any particular use for a flash hider or bayonet lug or even a folding/collapsible stock. I'd be perfectly happy to build a shorty in post-ban configuration if that's what it takes to be legal. OK, assuming I CAN do it on a homebrewed receiver, and this receiver has never been built into a firearm, would this have a five dollar transfer tax, or would it be the 200 dollar variety? I'm asking that because my understanding is that the 200 dollar tax applies to CONVERSIONS, while newly made SBR's take a five dollar tax. While I'm at it, let me ask this one, too: I'm just days away from getting my slightly belated Christmas present to myself, a new AR built with a spanking new Bushmaster complete lower and a post-ban converted Colt SP1 upper that has not been assembled to the lower yet. Legally, this lower has never been assembled into a firearm yet. Can my gunsmith (who is a title II manufacturer) assemble this as an SBR (Assuming all the paperwork is done first) under the 5 dollar transfer tax, or will it be 200? Remember, this lower has never had an upper on it and it't factory fresh. Or, does the manufacturer of the [red] receiver [red] have to be the one to assemble it into an SBR to be eligible for the 5 dollar transfer tax option? CJ
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:06:56 PM EDT
$5 is for an AOW (any other weapon), what you are building is a SBR (short barreled rifle). Due to the fact you are building a AR15 with a buttstock you will infact have a SBR and have to cough up the $200. As to the legality of building your own reciever for your post ban SBR, I have no idea! Hope I helpd a little! [beer]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:11:47 PM EDT
Your "home-brewed" rifle would have to have a serial # attached to the receiver, you should refer to ATF site for serial # choice, as I think they prefer a minimum of (4)alpha or digits. It is best to do the Form-1 (SBR) yourself, less as far as transfer tax and C2 involvment. AOW may save some money, as example, I have a C2 around corner, asked about an AK receiver, he said he would register as AOW for $100 on his Form-2, then transfer be $5 on Form-4. If I did it, cost me $200 on a Form-1, so only $95 difference, but I would still have to pay a "Krinky" fella to build AOW. Mileage may vary, but do the SBR yourself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:15:29 PM EDT
The $5 Tax is for the transfer of an AOW. An AOW is: 1) A Gun that is neither a rifle, shotgun, or a handgun under 18 USC 44 Sec. 921. This means, that it must have never had a stock. Otherwise it would be a Rifle. It must also have a Vertical Foregrip as without one it would be considered a Pistol. 2) A smoothbore Pistol. 3) A Gadget Gun (Cane Gun, Ring Gun, etc...) 4) A smoothbore gun (Shotgun) that never had a stock, or it would be a Shotgun. Any of the above firearms will transfer for $5. But, making on a Form 1 still costs $200. It might be cheaper to find a C2 Manufacturer who can register it Tax-Free. He will charge a fee for the service. Then you can get it back for a $5 transfer fee. If you make one on a Form 1, then you don't have to hassle with a C2. But, on an AOW you loose all the other advantages of not using a C2. Since an AOW cannot be assembled until the Form 1 comes back, I would go the C2 Route. But, as previously stated opinions may vary. One advantage is if you can find a C2 (Unlikely but possible) that has his own range, he can build the AOW, register it in 24 Hours and let you shoot it on his range until the Form 4 goes through for you to buy it. A Form 1 is definitely preferable on SBRs, and any other converted gun. This allows you to continue using your AR with 16"+ Barrel until the Form 1 comes through. Then you can convert it to whatever barrel length tickles your fancy. If you go C2, then you cannot get your gun back until the Form 4 goes through and it will actually cost you more than doing it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:29:51 PM EDT
This is getting weirder and weirder. So a Thompson with a pistol grip and a vertical foregrip, but no stock, would be an AOW. OK, THAT I understand. An AR with no stock...too ugly to consider. Pass. So I guess I'm not going to go the AOW route, anyway. If I decide I want to go the SBR route, I guess I can do it later, since it looks like I'm not going to get it via the 5 dollar tax route. Just for curiosity's sake, if you convert an AOW to a standard AR configuration, what do you have to do to make/keep it legal? CJ
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:00:33 PM EDT
Well, this may get wierd: If you take the AOW and add a stock and a. the barrel is less than 16" you've just made an unregistered SBR. This is Not good. b. the barrel is greater than 16" you're probably OK, but you would still have to comply with the AW ban. Should be able to switch back and forth. However, if it's registered as an SBR and you a. remove the stock, no problem whatever the barrel length. b. shorten the barrel, no problem c. remove the stock and shorten the barrel, you have what looks Just like an AOW w/o any of the advantages. Transfer would be $200 and AW ban would still apply. Bottom line- If you're going to spend $200 and manufacture yourself, and you don't care about a flash suppressor, build an SBR. [img]http://home.ec.rr.com/jyantorn/images/omars/Oly9mmSBR.JPG[/img]
Top Top