Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 2:44:56 PM EDT
Okay,

I know what has to be done to register a short barrel rifle.  

1)What has to be done about a shotgun.  

2)Is a short barrel shotgun an AOW?

3)Also what are the legal issues when using a folding stock.

Basically what info can anyone provide on this.  thanks in advance

medcop
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
1) The exact same procedure, except check write in "short barrel shotgun" instead of "short barrel rifle" on the Form 1. About the only quantifiable difference is that the minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 18", while for a rifle it's 16".

2) No - they're two separate types of firearm.

3) Shotguns must observe the pre/postban restrictions if they're semi-automatic, and not assembled before 9/13/94 in such a way as to be grandfathered.  Short-barrel shotguns have the same restrictions on magazine capacity, stock, pistol grip, etc.  The ATF website explains the features for a 'semi-auto assault weapon' shotgun in its legal FAQ.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay....

I want to build a short barrel Mossberg 500

I need to fill out and get approved with a Form 1. I then can build the shotgun with a short barrel.

So once this is done...I can put a top folding stock on this weapon with a pistol grip?

Thanks again

medcop

Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The top folding Choate stock is the worst thing you can put on a shotgun. Sure it looks good in the closet but the top fold completely blocks any type of aimed fire while folded and the pivoting buttplate which lays flat when folded on the top of the gun is always pivoted in the wrong position when you need it quick on your shoulder. If you take the time to open it and properly check that it's on you shoulder before you pull the trigger I guess it's ok but in IPSC action type shooting it always ends up wrong and my bruised biceps will agree with me.

Just go with a fixed stock and 12.5" barrel. That alone will get the looks you need. Remember if you start with a stocked Mossberg it will cost $200 and must be a short shotgun. If you start with a Cruiser unless you stock it it's an AOW but will still cost you $200 to build then $5 on it's next transfer. If you want an AOW find a title 2 manuf. to register it for you  and you do the work after it's registered.

I have an AOW for sale as pictured.

[img]http://www.cableone.net/uziforme/rogue.jpg[/img]
$350 shipped to your local dealer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheeper than Dirt is currently selling the folding stocks like seen on my SBR 870.
[img]http://members.aol.com/bishop042/8702.jpg[/img]
These stocks are really nice, not like those CRAPPY Choat stocks.

[b]"The top folding Choate stock is the worst thing you can put on a shotgun. Sure it looks good in the closet but the top fold completely blocks any type of aimed fire "[/b]

Remember when the stock is folded and you are using the pistol grip there isn't any aimed fireing anyway.

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top