Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:04:38 AM EDT
Going to replace my much beloved little German car with some kind of small-medium SUV.

I like the older Troopers and Monteros, maybe look at some 4Runners too.

I need to get some kind of 4x4 SUV thats not too expensive and that I can work on myself mostly.

I know the basic stuff to look out for, but what about any problems specific to these types?

Always needing to haul stuff around (big dog, stuff from Home Depot, targets, rifles in cases etc..)
never should have bought a car in the first place but it sure is fun to drive.

Wish me luck,

Flyer
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What!

No love for the old Isuzu Trooper?

Another shameless bump for my own needs....

Fly safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Not heard too many problems about them.

They're underpowered and top heavy (0-60 times in the 12's), but seem to hold up until they see 150,000 miles.  My uncle owned one and loved it, but began to experience a multitude of problems at 157,000 (what car doesn't?) and eventually ditched it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

I'm hoping to find an example that has already been fixed up, new transmission/clutch,
timing belt and etc.

Kinda like my car !!!

Flyer
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a 1994 Trooper with 233,000 miles on it.  We purchased it around 160K and have driven it all over including two trips to Missouri/Illinois from FL.  So far, we have replaced tires, brakes, radiator, shocks, battery, thermostat, timing belt, spark plug wires, a bent idler arm and had a shock mount rewelded to the frame.  The shock mount thing was my bad.  

All of the above is standard stuff really.  The 4 wheel drive no longer functions (about $500 to fix) and it looks like the power steering pump is next.  Honestly, we don't expect much more from a vehicle at it's age and mileage.  We paid cash and enjoy no car payments, so we don't complain.  The 4 wheel drive worked nicely when it worked.

Look for one that was made in Japan.  Those units are built rock solid and we haven't been plagued by annoying crap like handles and knobs breaking off and stuff like that.  The interior has held up remarkably well and we are finally seeing a touch of body rust on one door about the size of a dime.  Not too shabby really.  Aluminum rims are nice too.

We truly enjoy having this vehicle, but with gas prices where they are, my wife and I are now carpooling to work and she quit her job that required the long haul in the SUV.

Hope this helps.  We are truly a fan of this vehicle.  I honestly don't know what we will do when it finally dies.  Probably cry.

-White Horse

p.s.  This was more a picture of hurricane Dennis, but the Trooper made it in.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like the Jeep Cherokee would be the ideal vehicle for you. Get one with the 4.0l engine and the AW4 auto trans. Bullet proof engine and drivetrain.

Big enough to haul shit, small enough to fit in tight places. Great turning radius, awesome 4x4, decent fuel mileage, and tons of power off the line.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sounds like the Jeep Cherokee would be the ideal vehicle for you. Get one with the 4.0l engine and the AW4 auto trans. Bullet proof engine and drivetrain.

Big enough to haul shit, small enough to fit in tight places. Great turning radius, awesome 4x4, decent fuel mileage, and tons of power off the line.

Wouldnt the 5 speed trans be stronger than the auto?  I know their auto isnt bad, but  usually manuals are tougher.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I did'nt know troopers were made anywhere but Japan.

Where else were they built?

Thanks,

Flyer
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a Cherokee, troopers were NOT good vehicles, and are expensive to fix, head gasket problems, clutch problems, 150K engines. Monteros are expensive to fix and parts are hard to find which $$$$$$$$$$$$$ more. +1 4.0+auto cherokee, one of the best cheaper true [tho unibody]4x4s out there. Find parts ANYWHERE, lots were soccermom driven. Or get a yota 4 runner or a Nissan xterra or a pathfinder.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#9]
missing wheels are usually a bad sign.  if it doesn't have wheels, i'd ask them to drop the price a bit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top