Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2005 6:55:46 PM EDT
Shootouts coming to NHL: Milbury
WebPosted Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:19:50 EDT
CBC Sports
According to Mike Milbury, the shootout is coming to the NHL.

Mike Milbury is GM of the New York Islanders. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Milbury, general manager of the New York Islanders, predicted Tuesday that games still tied following an overtime period will likely be decided by penalty shots when the NHL resumes play.

"If they don't have a shootout, I'll be shocked," he said. "That's an easy one.

"The fans want it. And it's the least we can do after spitting at them for the last 12 months."

Milbury offered his prediction on the one-year anniversary of the last game played in the NHL.

The league and NHL Players' Association have failed to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement since the players were locked out last Sept. 15 by commissioner Gary Bettman, who cancelled the 2004-05 season on Feb. 16.

But NHL executives are testing out several proposed changes, namely the tag-up offside, smaller goaltending equipment and the shootout, at a three-day research camp in Toronto.

"It sounds like most people want a definite outcome, a win or loss, one way or the other," said Vancouver Canucks director of player personnel Steve Tambellini.

"We have, traditionally, been very conservative as a group," Milbury said. "There isn't any doubt about that.

"We've tried to be respectful of the game's history and heritage. But the coaches haven't.

"They've coached the hell out of it. They've coached defensive hockey and worked the trap and angles and crowding in front of the net and goalies have cheated ... over the last number of years.

"We've got to respond. Other sports respond."

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Shootouts coming to NHL: Milbury
WebPosted Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:19:50 EDT
CBC Sports
According to Mike Milbury, the shootout is coming to the NHL.

tinypic.com/5pmuqh
Mike Milbury is GM of the New York Islanders. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Milbury, general manager of the New York Islanders, predicted Tuesday that games still tied following an overtime period will likely be decided by penalty shots when the NHL resumes play.

"If they don't have a shootout, I'll be shocked," he said. "That's an easy one.

"The fans want it. And it's the least we can do after spitting at them for the last 12 months."

Milbury offered his prediction on the one-year anniversary of the last game played in the NHL.

The league and NHL Players' Association have failed to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement since the players were locked out last Sept. 15 by commissioner Gary Bettman, who cancelled the 2004-05 season on Feb. 16.

But NHL executives are testing out several proposed changes, namely the tag-up offside, smaller goaltending equipment and the shootout, at a three-day research camp in Toronto.

"It sounds like most people want a definite outcome, a win or loss, one way or the other," said Vancouver Canucks director of player personnel Steve Tambellini.

"We have, traditionally, been very conservative as a group," Milbury said. "There isn't any doubt about that.

"We've tried to be respectful of the game's history and heritage. But the coaches haven't.

"They've coached the hell out of it. They've coached defensive hockey and worked the trap and angles and crowding in front of the net and goalies have cheated ... over the last number of years.

"We've got to respond. Other sports respond."

CW
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I read that a lot of players left the NHL and will not be coming back, there is still no contract and the rumors abounding the internet mean that Stern will try to follow Bettman's advice and do the same to the NBA.......
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The NHL is kaput, I'm sorry. There might be another American/Canadian league but I think hockey will take the way of soccer, all the elite players will play in the Europena leagues. SOme of those Russian owners pay DAMN good.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
They might have shootouts but they wont have any fucking fans.
Fuck em. Baseball lost me in the nineties and hockey can take a long hard suck on my ass now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So is there or isn't there gonna be a fucking season coming up?

Yes, there will be.  As I stated in the MI HTF, there will definitely be a season this year.  The owners and union already agreed on 90% of the issues (100% of all the major issues).

Don't listen to the nay sayers.  They say those things because that's what they WANT to happen.

Link Posted: 6/9/2005 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, there will be.  As I stated in the MI HTF, there will definitely be a season this year.  The owners and union already agreed on 90% of the issues (100% of all the major issues).

Don't listen to the nay sayers.  They say those things because that's what they WANT to happen.

Riiight sure.

On the other hand...

GO BLACKHAWKS!
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riiight sure.

On the other hand...

GO BLACKHAWKS!

Listen youngster, you know not what you're talking about.  You may be an expert of Cranola Crayons but when it come to hockey, you're an amateur.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riiight sure.

On the other hand...

GO BLACKHAWKS!

Listen youngster, you know not what you're talking about.  You may be an expert of Cranola Crayons but when it come to hockey, you're an amateur.  

Is that truly the best insult that you can come up with?

ETA-I'm only 19.

"Youngster"-hah!

How are old are you...if I may ask?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riiight sure.

On the other hand...

GO BLACKHAWKS!

Listen youngster, you know not what you're talking about.  You may be an expert of Crayola Crayons but when it come to hockey, you're an amateur.  

FIXED
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Listen youngster, you know not what you're talking about.  You may be an expert of Crayola Crayons but when it come to hockey, you're an amateur.  

F  IXED

Good one, brother!
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm 34 years old, you toddler!  
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I just wish hockey would  comeback.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I once went to a 0-0 tie game, boy did that suck.  I'm all for shootouts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
What game did you go to INferno?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just wish hockey would  comeback.

Amen!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#17]
How do you like ChrisLe? Rangers Sabres or Islanders? Or maybe even The Devils....

I Actually miss watchin Hockey Night In Canada.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How do you like ChrisLe? Rangers Sabres or Islanders? Or maybe even The Devils....

11 year season ticket holder...NY RANGERS!

The Blackhawks and Red Wings can suck buttermilk out of my arse as far as I'm concerned.....

ETA: Coming back home after two tours in the sandbox only to find Hockey was on strike was rather disconcerting to say the least. I really do miss going to games...
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I hate the Wings and I live near them, I Like the Senators.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

MN Wild vs..forgot who.  It was a couple years ago..might have been their 1st year as a team.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm 34 years old, you toddler!  

I'm ONLY 15 years older than you, but yet I'm a toddler?  Heh

*shakes head at Sin_Bin*
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MN Wild vs..forgot who.  It was a couple years ago..might have been their 1st year as a team.

I like ALL hockey teams and players, it's just that I root for my hometown team!  Besides, the Wings are an impressive organization.

Anyway, I'd love to see a Wild game.  Getting the chance to see Gaborik in action, live, right in front of me would be a treat!

I'd also like to see Ilya Kovulchuk (Thrashers), Dan Blackburn (Rangers), and Tuomo Ruutu (Blackhawks) in person.

Hell, I'm just a big hockey nut!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a friend from MI who's a real hockey nut and has season tickets to the Lightning. Boy is she pissed!
Tampa has promised them a "Stanley Cup Ring" for keeping their seats but she hasent got it yet. It's a running joke between us on what the thing will look like. When she gets it I'll see if I can get a pic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Hell, I'm just a big hockey nut!  

That's an understatement.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Heh, I always said hockey could fall off the face of the earth and I would never notice...  it did and I just found out...

LB

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I saw the shootouts this year in the ahl with the rochester americans and I liked it. I never thought I would. Of course they didn't do it for the playoffs.Lots of people who ask me about hockey say "why do they tie all the time". Todays nhl might be better off with shootouts because 90% of the teams play trap defense and people don't want to pay $50.00 to see a tie. I'm a long time fan and for the last few years I have not been going to many games. of course the detroit redwings can buy any players they want and are fun to watch but for me as a sabre fan I have been bored to death with the play in the adams(northeast) divison.They really do need to make it like football, where every team has a chance.
I loved hockey the way it was when they didn't have all that crap on the ice and the boards. And the dumb rap music they play now is lame. I loved the music they would play in toronto and montreal in the old days.Who could forget the organ music from chicago.the old buildings had such great atmosphere.
I hope to god they don't make the nets bigger. Just make the goalies wear the smaller pads. remember the old days the goalies looked so small. my favorite players were paul coffey and pat lafontaine. If you get a chance to go to toronto,  see the hall of fame. It was a blast. Brings back great memorys. Sorry rambling to much.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#27]

people don't want to pay $50.00 to see a tie

You've got that right!  People want to see a winner and a loser.

And it's nice to see other folks using the old names.  The Wings are part of the Norris Division and will always be so.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#28]
either way, nobody will give a damn.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Put your money where your mouth is.  I'll bet anything the arenas will either fill to capacity or reach 80+%.

Are you up for it?
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Guess whats going to happen when the nhl starts up. the teams that are way over the cap will have to buy out the contracts and get rid of some players and then the small market teams will be able to pick up some great deals. Its always fun to see trades and player movements. Players are going to move like crazy. That will bring excitement the first year back after the lockout. Every team will have a chance to pick up some good players. Boston only has 4 players under contract. they will have the pick of the litter. Teams that only gave one year contracts will be well off.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put your money where your mouth is.  I'll bet anything the arenas will either fill to capacity or reach 80+%.

Are you up for it?

If it does, for how long?

Face it, very few people give two shits about professional hockey anymore. It's kinda like the erik estrada of the sports world.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Even the nba had a tough time with the playoff ratings. The finals were at a all time low. I guess people don't really care about most sports anymore. Football is the one people still love watching. There will always be the fans that were there before and are the hardcore faithful that never give up on the sport.
What does it tell you that more kids now are playing poker instead of playing baseball.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#33]
There are shootouts in the Central Hockey league(minor league) and they are very exciting. Saw several last year in Tulsa. I've been to just one NHL game(Coyotes vs Sharks) and two tickets in the nosebleed section were $110. In Tulsa there really isn't a bad seat in the house(7800 seats) and I can buy two great seats for $32. Saw two NHLers in the CHL last season, and was less than impressed. Morrow and Lukowich. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be getting the CenterIce package.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#34]
We have Shootouts up here in the WCHL.  Every time they game ends and they line up for a shootout I fucking cringe. I HATE IT!  Do both teams still get a point for taking it to overtime?  

One thing I do like is the removal of the redline.  On that note... as a fan of hockey... FUCK THE NHL.  I'm going on strike this year.  

Go Aces,
~Dg84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top