Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 11:14:18 PM EDT
I don't know if this is the proper forum for this subject. I tried to post it at the Handgun form but this topic somehow does not fall under "technical discussion". Hence the post here.

I was shooting at the range a few days back when I noticed another person shooting his 1911 using his left hand. It was obviously his weak hand since he looked awkward / uncomfortable shooting with it. His right hand was somewhat positioned accross his stomach fully bandaged and was in, what I thought was a splint. The RO informed me that he was a Liutenant in the Philippine Army.

We both finished at the same time and were packing when we greeted and introduced ourselves to each other. "Stupid" as I was, I asked him -matter of factly- what happend to his right hand that had him shooting weak hand. To my embarrasment, he told me that he LOST his right hand to a grenade blast. It was only then that I realized that what he had was a prosthetic arm. Of course I apologized. Fortunately he took no offence.

He mentioned that he was having a hard time adjusting to the situation - not so much the shooting part but the mag change and the charging of the slide. Hence the question:

How does one change mag and rack the slide in a situation like this? Are there mag pouches that would make reloading for situations like these easier?

Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
multiple ways

to change a mag you can reholster and reload, pinch the pistol between your knees/behind your knee/under your armpit, etc

to rack the slide you can charge the pistol uses the sights on your pockets, holsters, etc
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Put the gun under the weak side arm, between the thighs or inits holster.  Recharge with a fresh magazine.  Rack the gun on the holster.  Get beck in the fight.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Pockets tend to rip. The holster is good, but could be awkward. The belt is a good choice while standing, and if you are kneeling, use the back of your shoe.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]

I have no technical advice to add, but you should watch the film "Way of the Gun".  At the end of the movie, two seriously wounded shooters labor their way through accurate one hand mag changes on their 1911s.  Good depiction of how it can really go down, IMO.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank's for the "tips" guys ... they were all very informative. At least I could suggest those things to the young officer at the range should I ever  bump into him again.

Hmmm ... i've got to see that movie then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top