Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/12/2016 3:29:57 PM EDT
But fun

I don't use them a lot but it is interesting. Its hard to fight the habit of tying to get down on the rifle and look through the optic

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]

now go hog hunting...
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Shooting isn't bad, it's patrolling with NODs that sucks. Is that a stump or a sarlacc pit? Only one way to find out......
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

now go hog hunting...
View Quote

Im still waiting for them to populate my AO

I would love to do that heligunner shit down in TX though
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Shooting isn't bad, it's patrolling with NODs that sucks. Is that a stump or a sarlacc pit? Only one way to find out......
View Quote

My jarm is being wonky lately. I got finished shooting this shit. Im like a mile into these woods. Its 25 degrees. Dark as shit. NOD wont turn on

I mess with it a bit, still no worky. Figured battery had died. I walk out in complete darkness hearing coyotes all over the place

Get to the car, she turns on.... The magnets in the jarm are going bad or something. Im going to have to disable the auto off feature
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
it is refreshing and fun.  take your RDS or whatever you use and enjoy the freedom.  i stalk the deer around here.  they think they can just duck down in the grass and won't be seen.  I can sometimes get up to about 20-25y with a green dot on their forehead before they get spooked and run off.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It's all fun and games until someone shines a 200+ lumen flashlight at your face.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's all fun and games until someone shines a 200+ lumen flashlight at your face.
View Quote

Do you even IZLID, bro?

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Seeing in the dark is bad ass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then the autogating kicks in.  

Nothing happens except my NODs dims automatically.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
it is refreshing and fun.  take your RDS or whatever you use and enjoy the freedom.  i stalk the deer around here.  they think they can just duck down in the grass and won't be seen.  I can sometimes get up to about 20-25y with a green dot on their forehead before they get spooked and run off.
View Quote

Oh man its crazy how close Ive gotten to a few deer at night with NODs

They are not the brightest creatures.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you even IZLID, bro?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you even IZLID, bro?

That shit completely ruins the NOD tube and blinds the eye that wasn't covered by the NOD.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Youll start hearing a whine and that's about it.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't say I'm much brighter - I walked up on a buck one night and got to within about 30 feet before thinking that might not be a great idea for me if he decided to attack whatever it was that was walking up to him.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can't say I'm much brighter - I walked up on a buck one night and got to within about 30 feet before thinking that might not be a great idea for me if he decided to attack whatever it was that was walking up to him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its funny because I thought the same damn thing when I got close to them. Ive only seen does and small bucks out there however.

If it charges me I can shoot it right?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Takes some getting used to but after you do its easy and awesome.

Thats why When the US Army developed and fielded third-gen night vision devices in the 1980s, it adopted the slogan "We own the night."
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Should be able to do this from the low ready or even under the arm

Dont try putting the rifle up to your head unless you got PVS 14s over the opposite eye - Def wacked my rifle into 7 Bravos alot and have even caused them to turn off in the middle of some shit
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#17]
i had one stalking me the other morning. must have thought I was Mom.  I had an SBR, no round in the chamber and this set of glowing eyes was running at me from around 75Y or so.  My only thought was  that it was something rabid (coyote, chupacabre, etc) how loud it was going to be (did not have suppressor with me) and wake up all the surrounding property owners.  this was like 5am or so.

luckily it was just Bambi, when I made a noise it turned around and ran off.  got the heart rate up for me
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Dont try putting the rifle up to your head unless you got PVS 14s over the opposite eye - Def wacked my rifle into 7 Bravos alot and have even caused them to turn off in the middle of some shit
View Quote

Yup I shoulder the rifle just to get stability and have recoil management. But head stays off the rifle. Ive caught myself at times trying to get a cheek weld with NODs though just out of habit

I just don't have enough time on them to be really proficient.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thats why When the US Army developed and fielded third-gen night vision devices in the 1980s, it adopted the slogan "We own the night."
View Quote

Its a absolute game changer.

I mean you can whack bad dudes up to a couple hundred yards in complete darkness.

Whats not to love about that
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

'I swear, officer, honest mistake - he started charging me and I had to shoot him'
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

'I swear, officer, honest mistake - he started charging me and I had to shoot him'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that would be the best chance to say, "he was making a move; I had to get it on," then I don't want to be on this planet anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup I shoulder the rifle just to get stability and have recoil management. But head stays off the rifle. Ive caught myself at times trying to get a cheek weld with NODs though just out of habit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A zeroed laser is a great thing (guilty)

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I mean you can whack bad dudes up to a couple hundred yards in complete darkness.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's hard not to acutely realize the significant advantages as you walk around the woods at night with no lights on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If that would be the best chance to say, "he was making a move; I had to get it on," then I don't want to be on this planet anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I swear sir I got it on film.

I think the DNR guys may have a problem with that though
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one great thing about living in BFE - I'm pretty certain that would get an "Eh, sounds reasonable” from the local constabulary.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the way to find out involves neither tripping nor getting eaten.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's hard not to acutely realize the significant advantages as you walk around the woods at night with no lights on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Ive ran into a guy doing something shady out there one night. He was running down the path seen in the video for some reason. I hunkered down. He got within 10 yards of me and I figured he saw me so I say "Hey man stop"

Holy fuck I think that guy about pissed his pants. He never saw me at all. I flipped up the NODs and turned on the rifle light so we could see each other. I asked him what he was doing out there so late and he stuttered around and said he got a truck hung up down there or something or another. Vehichles aren't allowed or easily gotten back there so who knows. I told him Id go my way and he go his.

I would have loved to hear him tell his side of that story to his buddies
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yup.

Ive ran into a guy doing something shady out there one night. He was running down the path seen in the video for some reason. I hunkered down. He got within 10 yards of me and I figured he saw me so I say "Hey man stop"

Holy fuck I think that guy about pissed his pants. He never saw me at all. I flipped up the NODs and turned on the rifle light so we could see each other. I asked him what he was doing out there so late and he stuttered around and said he got a truck hung up down there or something or another. Vehichles aren't allowed or easily gotten back there so who knows. I told him Id go my way and he go his.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

No shit there I was

And I swear to go this guy just pops out of no where telling me to stop, he had a rifle, and a helmet and he must of been like a Navy SEAL or something
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

LOL

There have been several occasions when bumps in the night have prompted be to throw on my helmet and go traipsing around in my woods.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No shit there I was

And I swear to go this guy just pops out of no where telling me to stop, he had a rifle, and a helmet and he must of been like a Navy SEAL or something
View Quote

Oh god man Id pay good money to hear that story. I honestly wonder if he had some pot plants back there some place.

I live in bum fucked no where so I guarantee everyone thought this guy was making the shit up. That forest reserve is not well known in this area either.

I saw him coming so far off too. Dude would run for a bit. Stop, check his phone, run some more, check phone again
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Ha-ha.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/trurolla_05/12432556_10153270628420869_394170258_o.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/trurolla_05/12432556_10153270628420869_394170258_o.jpg

The NOD 1%.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#35]
If you had an nvg on one eye and thermal on the other eye would your brain overlay both images?

Would it be an advantage?

Would site sponser TNVC sell it for 11dy12billion dollars?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The NOD 1%.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NOD 1%.

I need a kickstarter campaign to fix my low-light depth perception reduction syndrome.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you had an nvg on one eye and thermal on the other eye would your brain overlay both images?

View Quote

Why do that when you can get a Fusion Device or a COTI?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off to google all of that. We are living in a technological age of awesome.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prepare for your mind to be blown.

By the time I am dead we will have technology available to humans that will make Predator look like Gizmo from Gremlins.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#40]
You should try it in an S1010b flight suit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

By the time I am dead we will have technology available to humans that will make Predator look like Gizmo from Gremlins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's that saying? Any technology far enough advanced would appear as magic????

Take some NOD's back to the 1600's and you would be burned at the stake.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Group buy?

Ill post videos for you guys if you let me keep it
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What's that saying? Any technology far enough advanced would appear as magic????

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my paternal grandfather was in Korea, a COTI would have been magic.  Extrapolate the speed and direction of technology development and our grandkids will be laughing at some silly jungle monster killing the former Governor of Minnesota in the movies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When my paternal grandfather was in Korea, a COTI would have been magic.  Extrapolate the speed and direction of technology development and our grandkids will be laughing at some silly jungle monster killing the former Governor of Minnesota in the movies.
View Quote

Give it a bit more time and price dropping and these will be the next "OMFG we need to ban them for the children" type item.

Look at all the cool new shit, GOV/MIL/LEO only
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I need a kickstarter campaign to fix my low-light depth perception reduction syndrome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NOD 1%.

After using my thermal a bunch I'm holding out for an FGS.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#47]
It's even more fun doing it in a shoot house !
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I've used a device like this a few times. Its pretty cool.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's even more fun doing it in a shoot house !
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've used a device like this a few times. Its pretty cool.

https://tnvc.com/shop/images/87005/DSNVG_6-1.jpg/
View Quote

Want

Want

Wait....

Need

Oh... Gov/LEO/MIL only
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top