Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/23/2004 6:47:07 PM EST
I am left handed but shoot a rifle very well right handed because I am right eye dominant, but the trouble is shooting a handgun. I have to shoot with my left hand and I get all screwed up because I have to close my left eye, I cant shoot the broad side of a barn with a handgun this way, any sugestions??
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:50:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:05:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:10:03 PM EST
practice? I discovered last weekend I shoot well lefty or righty
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:11:22 PM EST
Shoot with both eyes open/ You should be shooting like this anyways.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:12:27 PM EST
I am left hand left eyed dominant.When I shoot a pistol right handed I keep both eyes open.I dont even think about it.My two boys are left eyed right hand dominant. They both shoot left handed with a rifle and right handed pistol with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:16:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By cnorton:

how do I do this?? Please excuse my ignorance on the subject
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:19:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By repub18:

Shooting is all about the front sight. Just practice focusing on the front post with both eyes open. With practice, you will be able to pick up the front sight very quickly and naturally regardless of what hand you are shooting from.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:20:55 PM EST

+1

Another option for aimed fire left-handed with a dominant right eye is to shoot left-handed (one hand) with the pistol canted about 45 degrees inward (i.e., with the sights toward the right). This is one method suggested for one-handed combat shooting in the event your stronger arm becomes disabled. This is not the “gangsta” sideways shooting method, but is halfway between sideways and upright.

I’m sure that some here will disagree with me, but it does work as an expedient. Otherwise, you have to train your left eye or your right hand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:21:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By repub18:

Shooting is all about the front sight. Just practice focusing on the front post with both eyes open. With practice, you will be able to pick up the front sight very quickly and naturally regardless of what hand you are shooting from.

I should probably take some formal pistol classes, im only 19 so dont get that much time shooting the pistols
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:29:12 PM EST
Top Top