Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/7/2007 10:24:29 AM EST
The News Story

Woman fights for life after psycho goes on knife rampage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY ALISON GENDAR, JOHN LAUINGER and CHRISTINA BOYLE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Sunday, October 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story

The dramatic moment when an off-duty cop became a hero, shooting 2nd Ave. slasher.

The knives used in the bloody assault.

Susan Barron, a breast cancer survivor, was stabbed repeatedly by madman while walking her dog.

Off-duty NYPD Transit cop Gregory Chin, shot the stabbing suspect.
Michael Daly: City should be proud of Amarjit
He struck down 'a wonderful person'

A shirtless madman wielding stolen knives went on a bloody midtown rampage yesterday - stabbing a restaurant worker and a psychologist walking her dog before being shot by an off-duty cop, authorities said.

Deranged Lee Coleman stood wild-eyed over the dog-walker, methodically plunging a knife into her body and face over and over - even pausing to change knives as the woman lay in a pool of blood, screaming for help.

The crazed mental patient got into several confrontations while running up Second Ave. near 35th St. before he took aim at Susan Barron, 67, who was walking to church to have her dog blessed, sources said.

Barron, who lives in the neighborhood, was stabbed at least 10 times in the face, neck, arms and abdomen, leaving her badly mutilated, witnesses said. She was rushed to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition.

"He was chopping down on her," said Andrew Fink, 29, who was getting into a cab when the attack took place. "I saw him hit her at least 10 times. She was screaming and crawling along the street and people were running away.

"It looked like she was trying to crawl into the intersection. She was crying out in pain. He looked very intent. He was systematically bringing the weapon down on her."

Police said Coleman, 38, has a history of mental illness and has been in and out of psychiatric clinics. He was off his medication, sources said.

He has prior arrests in Georgia in 2001 for child abandonment, assault, theft and receiving stolen property. He was also arrested in 2004 in New Jersey, but police were unclear on the charges.

Coleman's frenzy along Second Ave. began shortly before the 10:40 a.m. stabbing. His first stop was Starbucks on 32nd St., where staff caught him rifling through drawers behind the counter, police said.

He left empty-handed and walked a few blocks north to a deli, engaging in an argument with a person there.

Coleman then walked to Texas Smokehouse restaurant. He asked to use the bathroom, but instead went behind the counter and stole four knives.

Chef Amarjit Singh, 56, was slashed across the face and neck as he tried to stop Coleman, police sources said.

Singh fled the restaurant onto Second Ave. followed by Coleman, who came face-to-face with Barron at the corner of 35th St. and, without warning, turned the knives on her.

Barron - wearing a neck brace from a recent accident - fell to the ground, holding her cane in one hand and her black Scottish terrier, Velvet, on a leash in the other, but the attack continued.

Coleman was seen standing over Barron, stabbing her and slashing her body "like a piece of meat," sources said. "He had so many knives that he had to put some down on the ground" while he stabbed her with others.

Despite being badly injured, Singh returned to the scene as Barron was being attacked, rushed into the restaurant and grabbed towels and aprons to stem her bleeding.

An off-duty NYPD Transit cop, Gregory Chin, who was on vacation and had been eating at the Gemini diner near where the attack took place, spotted the mayhem and intervened.

"Drop it, drop it, drop the f------ knife," he screamed at Coleman, a police source said.

Coleman ignored Chin's order and advanced aggressively, wielding the knives, forcing the cop to fire one round with his off-duty weapon, hitting Coleman in the stomach.

Two bridge-and-tunnel officers helped wrestle Coleman to the ground, where he continued to resist arrest after he was wounded, witnesses said.

"Clearly this guy [Chin] is a hero," said Allan Chapin, 66, who witnessed events from the diner window. "This guy saved a few lives. He [Coleman] was wrestling like crazy, and it took four policemen to subdue him and get the cuffs on."

Coleman had been especially upset over an ongoing problem with a girlfriend, sources said.

Family members met with Coleman Friday night and convinced him to see a psychiatrist, sources said. But Coleman bolted as relatives tried to shuffle him into a car to drive him to the doctor.

Singh was hospitalized at Bellevue in serious but stable condition, while Coleman was in stable condition at the same hospital. Coleman was charged with attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

Chin was given a sobriety test - which he passed - under a new and controversial NYPD policy introduced last Sunday.

cboyle@nydailynews.com

I was in NYC yesterday with family. The out-laws took wife and daughter & me to American Girl Doll - show and tea.

Girls didn't like the smell. They took a cab to and from.

My FIL and I walked from Penn Station to the store, then waited for them at TGI Friday - while sipping $7.50 16oz beers - then we went to $20 per person tea and ate mini-sammiches with our pinky fingers out.

My 6 yo loved it, I wish I thought of creating overpriced dolls and accessories then had a store with a little theater and a cafe that I could charge outrageous amounts.

If the the ARFCOM figurene business takes off I want to open the first retail store!!! Whe could have live action ARFpocolypse shows and dinner pics!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:59:31 AM EST
So, should the cop have to have had a breathalizer? Does that mean the cops are not allowed to carry guns if they are going to have a few beers?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:12:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2007 11:16:46 AM EST by bloodsport2885]

Originally Posted By Tacberry:
So, should the cop have to have had a breathalizer? Does that mean the cops are not allowed to carry guns if they are going to have a few beers?

Depending on your state, its illegal to carry while under the influence or anywhere that sells alcohol by the drink. Even if you can legally drive, the presence of alcohol while carrying will burn you.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:45:26 PM EST
According to our dept. regulations you are supposed to be "fit for duty" 24/7. I believe the dept. likes to keep that vague for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:50:31 PM EST
Shoulde fired twice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:14:20 PM EST

So? If he had pounded a few beers, witnessed this rampage, and did nothing, he would of been in the right according to dept policy?

As long as he called 911 he would of been in the right. But if the responding supervisor questioned him and he was drunk he could be suspended for being "Unfit for Duty". They actually wonder why none of us want to get involved off-duty.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:38:10 PM EST
Thank God none of the "ordinary" people shot the guy, but instead stood around and watched him stab, stab, stab, while they waited for somebody who was "authorized." That's why NYC is such a safe place.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:43:48 PM EST
The thread title is somewhat misleading.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:48:45 PM EST
Good shoot.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:49:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Extorris:

So? If he had pounded a few beers, witnessed this rampage, and did nothing, he would of been in the right according to dept policy?

As long as he called 911 he would of been in the right. But if the responding supervisor questioned him and he was drunk he could be suspended for being "Unfit for Duty". They actually wonder why none of us want to get involved off-duty.

Ok. Forgot the "call in knife-wielding maniac on stabbing rampage" and then sit back. I guess this "Unfit for Duty" policy would apply to even using pepper spray, baton, or even just control/restraint techniques with hand? If so, I can see why LEOs there don't get involved while off-duty.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:26:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Milquetoast:
Thank God none of the "ordinary" people shot the guy, but instead stood around and watched him stab, stab, stab, while they waited for somebody who was "authorized." That's why NYC is such a safe place.

"Ordinary" people aren't allowed to carry handguns in NYC.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:37:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:

Ok. Forgot the "call in knife-wielding maniac on stabbing rampage" and then sit back. I guess this "Unfit for Duty" policy would apply to even using pepper spray, baton, or even just control/restraint techniques with hand? If so, I can see why LEOs there don't get involved while off-duty.

Yes, it applies for everything you mentioned. Like I said, they actually wonder why we don't want to get involved off-duty.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:40:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tacberry:

Yes, after a shooting cops should be tested for any sign of impairment.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:45:35 AM EST
Says a lot about NYC that there weren't concealed carry permit holders around so as to prevent the situation to progress as far as it did.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:51:01 AM EST
the off-duty cop should have put at least 2 more rounds into that piece of shit...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:00:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By Smead:
Says a lot about NYC that there weren't concealed carry permit holders around so as to prevent the situation to progress as far as it did.

If there were any gangstas, muggers or dug dealers around they were almost certainly carrying, but you really can't expect them to help out in this situation.

Only criminals carry handguns on the streets of NYC and they're certainly not going to lend a hand in a situation like this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:50:59 AM EST
I was listening to the Beck show this morning and he said there are less that 300 CCW in the city of New York. It would not surprise me if someone makes Chen's life a real legal hell because he did not talk nicely to the nut case before he shot him. Now after doing a few years in the psyco ward, he will be back on the streets again.

Maxwell
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:17:43 AM EST
The meat of the story:

Deranged Lee Coleman stood wild-eyed over the dog-walker, methodically plunging a knife into her body and face over and over - even pausing to change knives as the woman lay in a pool of blood, screaming for help. Too bad she wasn't willing/able to defend herself.

The crazed mental patient got into several confrontations while running up Second Ave. near 35th St. before he took aim at Susan Barron, 67, who was walking to church to have her dog blessed, sources said. Wow... Glad she's got her priorities in order.

Barron, who lives in the neighborhood, was stabbed at least 10 times in the face, neck, arms and abdomen, leaving her badly mutilated, witnesses said. She was rushed to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. Her scars will be a nice reminder of what it feels like to be a sheep.

"He was chopping down on her," said Andrew Fink, 29, who was getting into a cab when the attack took place. "I saw him hit her at least 10 times. She was screaming and crawling along the street and people were running away. Notice all the witness accounts? Let's hope this event made a few people a little wiser! The sheep are well trained.

Barron - wearing a neck brace from a recent accident - fell to the ground, holding her cane in one hand and her black Scottish terrier, Velvet, on a leash in the other, but the attack continued. And this was supposed to stop the attack? Oh yeah, now I remember... This is what the sheep are taught: "Give the BG anything they want - Even your life. It's better that way. "
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:24:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 11:28:44 AM EST by FB41]

Damn! Even when you're "on vacation" (as stated in the article), you can't have some beers and you have to be fit 24/7?!

[edited to fix early posting ]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:33:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 11:40:14 AM EST by Mike_Mills]

Originally Posted By BLY:

"He was chopping down on her," said Andrew Fink, 29, who was getting into a cab when the attack took place. "I saw him hit her at least 10 times. She was screaming and crawling along the street and people were running away.

"She was screaming and crawling along the street and people were running away."

This is what always happens. Not just in NYC, either.

A similar case from NYC that's been studied to death is the murder and sexual assault of Kitty Genovese. She was attacked in the hallway of her apartment building and was stabbed multiple times and died. Her neighbors would open their doors to see what was going on, then close their doors. No one even called the cops until later. The cops did not respond even after being called.

Wikipedia On Kitty Genovese
You must be able to defend yourself. It is part of our constitutionally guaranteed "right to life,..."
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:33:53 AM EST

Michael Daly: City should be proud of Amarjit

Damn straight!

An off-duty NYPD Transit cop, Gregory Chin, who was on vacation and had been eating at the Gemini diner near where the attack took place, spotted the mayhem and intervened.

I could care less if he had been drinking before he intervened. He stopped the attack. In fact, he's the only one who did anything to help the sheeple.

I have a feeling he would have done the same even if he weren't a LEO.

(FWIW, there does come a point when you may be too intoxicated to make a proper decision and you may end up shooting the wrong person, or even getting yourself killed... But, if I or anyone else is being viciously murdered, I think we would rather have an intoxicated person try to help. Shit happens, and when it hits the fan, things get dirty: You can't always expect the the best outcome from the worst situation.)
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:37:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By FB41:

Damn! Even when you're "on vacation" (as stated in the article), you can't have some beers and you have to be fit 24/7?!

[edited to fix early posting ]

Yep, pretty much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:39:45 AM EST
Who gets their dog blessed? Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:41:11 AM EST
Ban knives. Do it for the sheeple. Call out the Million Moronic Mothers calling for tougher knife laws.

Oh, wait a minute; there already is a law on the books about possession of knifes with blades over two inches (I think) on the books.

Call off the requests to Jessica Jackson; et al.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:49:40 PM EST

I could care less if he had been drinking before he intervened.

Neither do I but his department would have cared. Had he been drinking he would of been suspended w/o pay, had his firearms removed from him, and had his career ruined.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:03:14 PM EST
So if you have had a few drinks you may be better off just leting some one die? That is fucked. Didn't General Grant win the Civil war shitfaced?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:27:53 PM EST

So if you have had a few drinks you may be better off just letting some one die?

If I had a few drinks in me I would call 911 anonymously and leave the area. That's just because I have seen what my dept. does to cops who are deemed "unfit for duty" at an off-duty incident. Even those who did not even draw a firearm or have one on their person. Sorry, but unless it's a family member or another loved one, I'm not risking my job or my pension. Besides, if you are "having a few" you shouldn't be carrying anyway IMHO and therefore shouldn't be getting involved with knife wielding EDPs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:59:37 PM EST

I could care less if he had been drinking before he intervened.

Neither do I but his department would have cared. Had he been drinking he would of been suspended w/o pay, had his firearms removed from him, and had his career ruined.

This is what happens when RED COMMUNISTS run a city. They fear anyone with a gun, 'civilians', police, military (National Guardsmen at airports without magazines in their weapon).

If you're drunk as a skunk, you should probably stay out of the fight unless someone brings the fight to you. But even if the cop had had a couple of beers, he was more useful that the idiots who just ran away.

Fortunately NH doesn't have those silly laws about alcohol/bars and guns.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:53:47 AM EST

But even if the cop had had a couple of beers, he was more useful that the idiots who just ran away

True, but here in NYC he would have been rewarded by being immediately suspended w/o pay.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:56:11 AM EST
You were in NYC and went to TGI Friday for beers?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:05:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Who gets their dog blessed? Seriously.
LOL, who's the mental patient there, seriously though if the cop would not have intervened with NYC's gun ban and crazy self defense laws all you would have is witnesses to a stabbing and would not even make the police blotter on the weekend rag.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:32:14 AM EST
Why'd Chin only shoot the guy once? Shoot 'em to the ground, people.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:11:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cypselus:
Why'd Chin only shoot the guy once? Shoot 'em to the ground, people.

Most likely he was thinking about the Sean Bell incident. Those cops "Shot 'em to the ground" and now they're on trial and facing prison time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:33:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By cobra-ak:
Since aluminum bats are now banned the paisans from Bensonhurst can now carry the Brooklyn Crusher

Sorry, we don't let anyone carry a product from Cold Steal in Bklyn. We have our standards.
Top Top