Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 1:33:05 PM EDT
Howdy
We all use them and our eyes obviously need protection, but the quality of our vision is largely responsible for our accuracy, speed and success with our firearms so optical quality is VERY important , so I would like to have people give reviews of their shooting glasses. I hope each review will give an opinion on:

OPTICAL QUALITY, SAFETY LEVEL, ERGONOMICS, FOGGING, LENS COLOR, DURABILITY, RX CAPABILITIES, INTERCHANGEABLE LENS and anything else you believe relevant.

I personally do not believe price is relevant to the protection of one's eyes, so I did not include it as a criteria.

My personal experience has been that "optically" the Zeiss and Decott glasses are superior, unfortunately they only make them for shotgun sports and I had hoped to find some of equal optical quality for combat style shooting and have not been able to accomplish this. I never see much about this subject on forums and believe it to be more important and urgently neccessary to us all than most of threads I've seen. I so often see shooters using $6.99 glasses from Wal Mart and think why would you spend that much $ on that gun, scope, match grade ammo, custom sights, etc. and then utilize it all with your most important sensory instrument (your eyes) having to function through a .05 piece of plastic from Taiwan that a goldfish would refuse to look through?! I guess its supply and demand. We obviously do NOT DEMAND superior optics for our eyes and shooting ability, so no one bothers to make them. I hope to find out I am wrong, but I have yet to see anything that is remotely of the optical quality of the Zeiss Glasses that is designed for Combat Shooting!

God Bless
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want good ballistic quality glasses, there is really only one way to go: Oakleys

I used to laugh at people who wasted 200 bucks on sunglasses, but when I finally got tired of el-cheapo glasses, I bought some M-Frames. Now I will never go back.

The optical quality is superb, and you can wear them all day with no headache or fatigue. They stay in place and are so comfortable I often forget I have them on. The Iridium ones are also good at hiding what you are looking at, a bonus at times.

I am extremely pleased with my M frames, and I would not hesitate to buy a new pair should my current pair be destroyed.

That is, of course, unlikely, as the M frames have interchangable lenses, allowing you to go from the Black Iridium lenses to the clear ones in seconds, and any shade in between. Most of the Oakley lenses also do not distort color, which is a real plus. They have the lowest optical distortion of any glasses I have seen, enabling you to use even high magnification optics without problem.

I really dig mine and I am only sorry I didn't buy them sooner. My advice is to go someplace where you can try on all 4 of the different lens types if you decide to buy M frames. I thought the heaters would be the best for me, but it turns out the strikes and hybrids fit my face the best.

Oakley's stuff also exceeds ANSI standards by a pretty wide margin. They are expensive, but they are superb protection and are very durable....
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

I had narrowed it down to the Oaklys and the ESS Ice. I have for now chosen the ICE because you can put prescription RX lenses behind the ICE interchangeable lenses and remove at will. This way I can use the RX lenses for shooting pistols and then pull them out for rifles. The Oakly have to make the entire set of lenses each in RX which costs a fortune and then I would need normal set of lenses for rifle and another entire set of RX for pistol. OUCH $$$! So, for now - one set of ICE lenses and the removable RX lenses. I am so far very impressed with the ICE lenses optically and I own 7 pair of Revos so I'm very particular on my glass. The ICE are also 2.4 mm thick! I have not had the RX holder filled yet, so can't comment on how it works. Thanks again!

God Bless
El-Kabong
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you want good ballistic quality glasses, there is really only one way to go: Oakleys

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Wiley X
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Wiley X is the only way to go.
Oakleys are nice, and I own about 20 pair, but in reality they are sunglasses.
Wileys are sport specific, the lenses are about twice as thick as M frame lenses.
Also a complete set of frames and three lenses are the same price as just a basic set of Oakleys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wiley X is the only way to go.
Oakleys are nice, and I own about 20 pair, but in reality they are sunglasses.
Wileys are sport specific, the lenses are about twice as thick as M frame lenses.
Also a complete set of frames and three lenses are the same price as just a basic set of Oakleys.

Can Wiley X's have prescription lenses or are compatible with them?

I need me shooting glasses too in the future
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes they are available with prescription lenses.
Heres their web site:
www.wiley-x.com/
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:59:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes they are available with prescription lenses.
Heres their web site:
www.wiley-x.com/

Cheers.  

Not bad prices too, although they will end up costing a hell of alot more here
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Uh, Wiley Xs are no where near Oakleys.  They may be thicker, but they aren't neccessarily more protective.  Oakleys are the only lenses that meet ANSI standards and are optically correct.  Search for the review that Private Pilot magazine did on different glasses.

Oakleys are the only way to go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Uh, Wiley Xs are no where near Oakleys.  They may be thicker, but they aren't neccessarily more protective.  Oakleys are the only lenses that meet ANSI standards and are optically correct.  Search for the review that Private Pilot magazine did on different glasses.

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm partial to Oakley's but that's just based upon my limited personal experience. I just ordered a new pair of Polarized 2.1 E-Wires for what it's worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top