Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 4/24/2009 7:40:27 PM EDT
I guess being as new as I am here, I should clarify this.

We have approximately 22,000 acres of wooded land behind our house, some wooded, and some wetlands. I was in the wooded area, property owned by a local man. I shoot back there regularly, but I think it came to an end, at least if I don't want things to get violent (and I don't really). We have a new neighbor that moved in, moved down from New York. He is very vocal, and very confrontational when he gets upset.

Prior to going into those woods to shoot, I did three things (for real).

I called the police depart and found out the rules
I called the code enforcement division (I believe that's what it was)
I called the property owner (and he gave me complete permission to shoot in an area back there)

Code said it was private property, and to call the owner and get permission. The police department said the same, and told me to be 300 feet from the closest living abode. I did everything, and was as legal by all the regulations I could be. Initially I was shooting my .22 out there, away from the houses (the opposite direction), my back was to the houses (and I was well beyond 300 feet into the woods). Essentially firing into dense woods, on private property. The neighbor heard me, and confronted me a day later when I was in my front yard saying goodbye to a friend of mine. He asked if I was shooting in the woods, and I said "yes sir". He informed me I needed to stop, and he was livid when I told him I had permission by the land owner and police department to be out there. He truly turned beat red, and walked over to me in my driveway and was screaming so loud, neighbors were coming out (this is the truth, and not an exaggeration). I have never heard someone cuss that loud, for that long, in my life, bar none. I tell you the truth, the guy was that livid. He told me again, do not shoot out there.

He was literally 12 inches from me on my property, and out of control, and I was doing everything I could to get him to settle down. The neighbors were watching, not all, but several houses were watching. He was balling his fists, stating that he wished I would swing at him. In the end I elected to walk away with him screaming, and went into my house. I sat down for dinner (about 25 minutes later if I remember correctly) and a knock came at my door. It was the police. I invited the police in, and was polite, there was no reason not to be. I explained everything I did, my preparations, permissions, and everything. I then offered to get the property owner on the phone, the police officer said it was not necessary. He informed me it was perfectly legal, and that there was no wrong doing. I then led the police officer out into the woods, and showed him the makeshift gun range, where I fire from, direction and everything. The officer was very cool about it, and thought it was nicely done (as a matter of fact, I had cleared the area, and the homemade range). The neighbor saw us go in the woods, and unfortunately he saw us come out acting like friends. This made it worse.

In the end, my wife and I left with the family while the police officer was back at the neighbors house, telling them it was legal. While the cop is making notes, and we are getting in the car, the neighbor and his wife are yelling at us, and the police officer is telling them to knock it off, they did not listen. I was informed by the neighbor... "I don't care if its legal or not, don't go back there shooting again."

Like I said, I know I am new here, but this really happened, and it was a lot more intense then I am able to type out. I guess my question is this, how would some of you have handled it, and what would you do now?
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Guy sounds like a real piece of fuckin' work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's legal, it's legal. Not really much he can do about it.

Fear the dog that doesn't bark, and all that. I don't think this stooge will actually do anything.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell him to kiss my ass, go inside grab my gun and go back in the woods shooting again.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
continue shooting. You're Gun > His words.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
if its legal and your in the clear tell him to blow you.

tannerite FTW~!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to start shooting something louder than a .22. I'd spend all fucking day out there just because that guy is a douche bag. I'd start buying blanks cheap just to make noise for him. Had he approached you more politely i'd tell you to ask him if there's a time that would be better for him and try being a considerate neighbor. After that fiasco, i'd say all bets are off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Blade at 45 degrees?  
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as you're abiding by your state/county laws, and the LEO checked everything out to ensure it was on the up and up, you're fine. Maybe as a goodwill gesture, you should write the neighbor and explain that you don't do it to anger he and his wife, and that you're putting safeguards in place and being responsible. If you really don't want to rock the boat, maybe suggest you'll give them prior notice when you're going to shoot? You took the high road and thats good, always put yourself above assholes being confrontational.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip> and what would you do now?

Use a larger caliber.  Roughly .50 BMG larger.  

I'm thinking 20mm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell the New York Obongoknight to F-off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're ass is covered, then he can't do anything. Tell him to mind his own business.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell him to call the police again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Have fun shooting in the woods

Tell the guy to shove it.  But be polite
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Get written permission from the land owner. Go shooting again as soon as possible. Have your video camera ready when the neighbor shows up. Tell him if he sets foot on your property again that you will have him arrested. Get a restraining order. Be prepared to defend your life.

edit;

Do you have an AK? Do you know how to bump fire?
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Get some OC spray for the next time he get in your face.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Go drop a steamer on his front porch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I would continue to be polite to the neighbor, smiling at him and waving each time I entered and left the woods for my continued shooting trips.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#21]
That guy is some sort of messed up - what the hell makes him think that it is a good idea to be that confrontational with someone that he knows has a gun - in Florida.  It's not like Florida was in the news a couple years back about passing a castle doctrine law (or as the media and Bradys dubbed it: "shoot first" law)... oh wait.  I would be very careful, this guy seems unbalanced.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Tell him to fuck off, and if he comes on your property again press trespassing charges.

ETA if he gets violent defend yourself.  Start carrying all the time if you don't already.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd tell my new neighbor to go fuck himself and tell him to stay off my property and out of my face.

This.

or if you need a picture to help you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I would go out there and shoot until I couldn't pull the trigger anymore if that had happened to me.

Also, never invite the cops into your house, that's just not smart.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I guess we know where the next Florida Ar15 shoot is dont we?

The fact your gonna let an out of state New Yorker win.....For shame.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip> and what would you do now?

Use a larger caliber.  Roughly .50 BMG larger.  

I would be out there with my Barrett the very next day.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep doing what you're doing.  Keep calling the cops when the guy acts stupid.  Eventually he'll go to jail.  That'll either fix his attitude, or he'll go to jail and never get out.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Invite a bunch of friends with guns to shoot. Shoot LARGE caliber rifles starting from 7 am, Make sure to invite someone with a F/A belt fed also. Buy LOTS of ammo for the MG.

Run it full tilt for 3 or 4 hours when you know the NY douchebag is home.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd tell my new neighbor to go fuck himself and tell him to stay off my property and out of my face.

This!  

Next time shoot the .308 or 12-gauge

Guy sounds like an "ass-hat".  

Call the police next time he trespasses on your private property.

rich

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#30]
cover your ass and get the docs on paper , fire a few warning shots next time he is on your land... call cops for tresspassing too next time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, I guess we know where the next Florida Ar15 shoot is dont we?

Oh if only I could be there...  

I'd need to finish classes and have a lot more money first...
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I truly hate people like that, the simple fact is that he is a bitch.  Do whatever you want, if he starts any more crap tell him to get off your property, if he refuses have him arrested and get a restraining order.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#33]
tell him to go back to new jersey because we dont want him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe he's pissed because you didn't invite him to go shooting with you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd watch this clown. If he is bitching at you in front of the police, he may do worse when they are gone. You seem to be in the right here, and it is great to be able to shoot right outside your door and not pay range fees, but I would leave a few in the chamber for the walk back home. You never know what this dick is going to do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#36]
oohhh, I can't say what I would do but I would LOVE to have you neighbor as my neighbor.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Let us know when and where and invite people for a machine gun shoot.  :)

I have similar problems with neighbors and I just ignore them.  Not a effin' thing they can do.  Recently I upgraded to tannerite just to up the anty.  Yeah I'm the asshole.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As long as you're abiding by your state/county laws, and the LEO checked everything out to ensure it was on the up and up, you're fine. Maybe as a goodwill gesture, you should write the neighbor and explain that you don't do it to anger he and his wife, and that you're putting safeguards in place and being responsible. If you really don't want to rock the boat, maybe suggest you'll give them prior notice when you're going to shoot? You took the high road and thats good, always put yourself above assholes being confrontational.

This would be a good idea if he was dealing with someone rational.

But he's not.  He's dealing with a nutcase.  And that's the problem.

My advice?  I would find another range.  If this guy wants to push things while the OP is holding a weapon, it might go south fast.

The OP is completely in the right, but sometimes you have to let discretion be the better part of valor and choose your battles carefully regardless.

It's probably not worth the shitstorm to prove you are right in a case like this, even when you ARE right.  Especially if said shitstorm winds up involving a self defense shooting, however justifiable the circumstances.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm thinking that you need to ask the landowner for permission to host an ARFCOM shoot.  Invite some local cops/deputies to join you, include full-auto firearms and tannerite, and have a BBQ afterward.

Normally I try to make nice with my neighbors, but this one is beyond redemption.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Go shooting again.

Invite the cops.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd watch this clown. If he is bitching at you in front of the police, he may do worse when they are gone. You seem to be in the right here, and it is great to be able to shoot right outside your door and not pay range fees, but I would leave a few in the chamber for the walk back home. You never know what this dick is going to do.

Triple feeds are not the best way to go in a gunfight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd make sure I got out there as ealy as was legal and stay as late as was legal, and conduct lots and lots of "load development tests" on everything weapon I owned.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I have no problem shooting when he is not home, but if he catches wind of it, I think it could turn violent, I really do. That's just not the relationship I envisioned with my neighbor. The last thing I want to have to do, is to confront this guy, in the woods, THAT is my big concern.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We have a new neighbor that moved in, moved down from New York City.

I would bet 1,000 internets he's from NYC and probably never fired a gun in his life.

Fuck NYC, upstate is normal, even my super liberal friends will go to the range with me....

EDIT: Carry some pepper spray.  Nothing would be funnier if he steps on your property yelling and flailing his arms and you pop him with some pepper spray.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#45]
When he comes back the next time, I would be wearing dual sixguns. As soon as he started yelling I would tap the butt of my gun and say "Are we cross?"

j/k

I would seriously tell him to fuck off. Really. "Fuck off dude!"
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't go shooting alone, bring witnesses. Keep a loaded gun on you that you're not firing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#47]
So a new guy recently moved to Florida from New York and wants to tell you what you can and can't do even if it's perfectly legal?

He can choose to adapt to the way things have been, still are, and will continue to be; or move his loud mouth ass back north to his prison state; but you shouldn't change your way of life to suit him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Invite a bunch of friends with guns to shoot. Shoot LARGE caliber rifles starting from 7 am, Make sure to invite someone with a F/A belt fed also. Buy LOTS of ammo for the MG.

Run it full tilt for 3 or 4 hours when you know the NY douchebag is home.

This would be my choice. With or without the F/A - but that'd be a real nice touch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't go shooting in the woods alone now, a witness will be valuable if the guy totally melts down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have no problem shooting when he is not home, but if he catches wind of it, I think it could turn violent, I really do. That's just not the relationship I envisioned with my neighbor. The last thing I want to have to do, is to confront this guy, in the woods, THAT is my big concern.

He threatened you in front of witnesses, including the police. A confrontation in the woods might be just what the doctor ordered. Don't forget your shovel.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top