Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 8:05:24 PM EDT
I heard if you fill a milk jug with acetyline and shoot it, it explodes.

Anyone ever heard of it?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll blow your face off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck getting acetylene into a milk jug and having it stay there long enough to shoot it.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I could see where it might work. Acetylene only needs 30psi to spantaneously polymerize, and you could easily get that compression around a bullet. Wouldn't need much to initialize.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Its even more fun to fill a garbage bag full of Oxygen and Acetyline from a torch (make sure you fill it via a long hose with a rubber band around the neck of the bag so when you pull out the hose it closes, as the mixture is very static electricity friendly) then set it off via a sparkler or roman candle or rocket ignitor.... very nice boom, if you're within ~100 feet you definitely feel the shockwave hit your body

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Possible.  I made an acetylene-oxygen "bomb" with a gallon milk jug.  Set it off with a firework.  Took ALL the grass off a 2 foot diameter circle.  Impressive.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone has posted pics here before but about 3-5yrs ago, my sister's ex-b/f and his dillweed buddy made acetylene balloons for 4th of July.  They had about 8-10 good-size balloons on the ex-b/f's front truck seat and the dillweed buddy went to go retrieve a few more to toss out and explode.  Well, something happened and they all went off at once right in his face.  It completely demolished and blew out the truck cab, totalling the truck and sending his dumbass to the hospital with some pretty extensive facial/head injuries.

Eta:  Found the pics on this site:

http://www.lampton.com/safety.htm

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good luck getting acetylene into a milk jug and having it stay there long enough to shoot it.  

Not hard using calcium carbide.

I've blown a couple of trash cans using oxy-acetylene.
Fill a punch-ball balloon.

Straight acetylene gives you a big sooty fireball and a nice whoomp.
90/10 oxy-acetylene has much more brisance. A lot more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't think about that.  I was imagining the OP holding a hose from a tank over the opening of the jug.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The trick with acetylene is that it won't do much at all unless the acetylene/oxygen ratio is just right.

If it's too lean - nothing.
If it's too rich - maybe a little pop.
Just right - you'll blow all of the windows out of your shop.

To get it right, set your cutting torch to a good crisp cutting flame and reach up with your gloved hand and snap out the kernel.
Then fill a balloon up with the mixture. Start flicking lit cigarettes at it.

Please don't forget to post the AAR directly from the emergency room.

We promise not to laugh.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think about that.  I was imagining the OP holding a hose from a tank over the opening of the jug.  

Why thats exactly what I was thinking, if by hose you mean the one coming off the cylinders that you cut with
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a "neighbor" shoot latex gloves full of acetyline one night when I lived on a farm......

Pretty impressive, even from a mile away.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Every 4th of July the family gets together and we fill balloons with oxy/actetlyne and tie them off to balloons filled with helium so they float...then we shoot them with roman candles...the

concussion & noise is amazing...you literally can feel it in your chest....by the way don't overfill the balloon with acetelyne( it just makes a anti-climactic "poof" or fireball), just use the acetelyne as a

catalyst as the oxygen makes for an incredible explosion... I always thought it had a high CDI factor!!! (although my wife just shakes her head & looks on )
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The good thing we have here is the relative difficulty and expense of getting a cylinder of acetylene for general jacking around.

Get some calcium carbide for miner's lights and learn how to generate acetylene for backyard ballistic experiments.  Every hardware store carried lights and carbide when I was a kid, I would have to shop around now.

Getting acetylene is difficult? Where?

There are 3 supply houses within 20 miles of my house that I can think of, and probably a few more I'm not remembering.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Someone is going to blow there hand off
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Garbage bag + tracer.  Lets you be a good distance away.  Be prepared for an explanation to the cops if you have neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Dibs on any ammo and the safe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
My brother and I used to do stuff like that with the cutting torch.  Thats until dad realized after the second tank was empty something was amiss.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Some friends of mine had a cabinet shop back in Louisiana. They also did a bit of welding there as well. The place had  a big yard, and they regularly hold big holiday parties, crawfish boils, pig roasts, etc.

One year for New Years eve, they filled a garbage bag (drum liner) with oxy-acetylene mix and gave it a 4 foot long newspaper fuse. We were all about 100 feet away when it went off. It ranks among the top 3 loudest things I have ever heard. The shock wave was like standing in the surf and having a big wave crash into your body.

I would not want to be close to one of those when it goes.

As for the calcium carbide, have a look at spelunking supply websites. Many cavers like to roll "old school" and use carbide miner's lamps. I have one I bought, and a pint can of carbide for it that's about 15 years old.  I opened the can last year and the carbide is still good. I thought the humidity would eventually degrade it, but the can seals up good I guess.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Someone has posted pics here before but about 3-5yrs ago, my sister's ex-b/f and his dillweed buddy made acetylene balloons for 4th of July.  They had about 8-10 good-size balloons on the ex-b/f's front truck seat and the dillweed buddy went to go retrieve a few more to toss out and explode.  Well, something happened and they all went off at once right in his face.  It completely demolished and blew out the truck cab, totalling the truck and sending his dumbass to the hospital with some pretty extensive facial/head injuries.

HOLY SHIT.

Here's one of the pics.

Trust me, check out the link.

Check that shit out, it ripped the rear half door off the cab...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLY SHIT.
Here's one of the pics.
Trust me, check out the link.
http://www.lampton.com/TRUCK2.JPG
Check that shit out, it ripped the rear half door off the cab...

Yup.....can you imagine calling insurance?

eta:  the guy that the balloons blew up on is extremely lucky to be alive with no permanent damage.....he was in the hospital for 5-7days I think.  Both of them(my sister's ex and the guy it blew up on) are retarded fuckwads.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pretty damn simple.  It works.

2 liter bottles are much more airtight than milk jugs.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#23]
There's a big caver's campout every fall called the TAG (Tennessee-Alabama-Georgia) Fall Cave-In. I haven't been in quite a few years, but when I did go, it included acetylene/trash bag bombs 24 hours a day for the entire weekend. Lots of other wild stuff, too. What a party.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:37:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#25]
oxy/act makes REAL good propellent

some testing pre-carriage

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:50:08 AM EDT
[#26]
If you want to have some fun. Fill a small bag up of oxy/acetyline and stick the bag near the joint in a pipe someone is stick welding. I seen it done before. It's funny!!! Also seen a guy sharpen filler rod to look like tungsten in a guy's tig rig. Guy goes to light off... woops!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:54:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Used it to make a pipe cannon and launched a flaming tennis ball into orbit.
Sounded like howlitzer..
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Possible.  I made an acetylene-oxygen "bomb" with a gallon milk jug.  Set it off with a firework.  Took ALL the grass off a 2 foot diameter circle.  Impressive.

Done it before.  Stand back, wayyyy back.  Not going to fool with it again.  One of those hold my beer moments from my youth.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:59:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#30]
When my daughters father in law has a few beers he takes party ballons & fill them oxy-acetylene.  Then he lays the ballon on the ground, lights a cigarette, puts a cigarette filter in one ear & a finger in the other.  He wants to be safe, you know.  Then touches the lite cigarette to the ballon.  One hell of a boom & pressure wave!  It's one of those hold my beer & watch this moments.  And yes he's a red neck. And fun to be around!

Oh, he does this in town.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:14:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#32]
My brother used to like telling a story about one of his A/C coworkers.  The guy and his buddies were filling up garbage bags with acetylene from his torch and setting them off in his back yard.  The first one was really loud and they decided to move to the front yard after filling up another one.  Well, he didnt make it to the front of the house before it kaboomed.  He took out the windows on the side of the house and blew his balls off.  I'm not sure if my brother meant that literally, but that's always how I took it.

Don't play with acetylene.  You'll blow your balls off.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The trick with acetylene is that it won't do much at all unless the acetylene/oxygen ratio is just right.

To get it right, set your cutting torch to a good crisp cutting flame and reach up with your gloved hand and snap out the kernel.

We promise not to laugh.

Acetylene has an IMPRESSIVE range between LEL and UEL.  Like between 2 and 100%.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:46:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We promise not to laugh.

Acetylene has an IMPRESSIVE range between LEL and UEL.  Like between 2 and 100%.

Yup, you're pretty close:

Flammable
       Limits - Lower:

2.5%

Flammable
       Limits - Upper:

80%

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#35]
When I was in high school, I went to a buddy's house one New Year's eve. His folks were gone and he had a party. Just as I get there, I see a bunch of people running into the house. I asked  my friend what was going on, and he said he had filled a trash bag with acetylene and oxygen and put a long bit of fuse on it. Right about then, the back yard lit up, there was a massive blast, and every window on the back side of the house blew in.

He had seriously miscalculated the damage the shockwave would do, particularly since his back yard was surrounded by an 8 foot block wall.

I turned around and left-I could already hear the sirens, and didn't want to be there when the cops and fire department showed up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Some idiot will eventually let acetylene out of a tank at a high enough pressure to have it flash instantly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top