Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2016 9:48:54 AM EDT
Hi folks . Here's the issue . My mother spent the summer with her sister in Michigan as a post retirement vacation upon returning she contacts me stating she left her carry gun in her sisters safe (moms in KY) . I've looked at several options to have the firearm shipped back to her home but the restrictions and requirements read like the shuttle manual . One option said removal of firing pin another said barrel or upper shipped separately . Frankly I don't think the folks shipping the firearm have the aptitude to remove the firing pin nor would I want anyone inexperienced pulling parts out of her pistol. Can anyone offer straight forward legal options or suggestions to return her firearm. I dusted off her old 637 j frame I'd been housing in the interim but when I took her to the range to bone up on her skills it became quickly apparent she no longer has the strength to confidently wield her wheel gun making the return more urgent. I have no experience or had the need to ship or receive a firearm that didn't involve a FFL transfer any advice or suggestion on cost effective , expedient and legal means of getting this firearm back where it belongs would be greatly appreciated .
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi folks . Here's the issue . My mother spent the summer with her sister in Michigan as a post retirement vacation upon returning she contacts me stating she left her carry gun in her sisters safe (moms in KY) . I've looked at several options to have the firearm shipped back to her home but the restrictions and requirements read like the shuttle manual . One option said removal of firing pin another said barrel or upper shipped separately . Frankly I don't think the folks shipping the firearm have the aptitude to remove the firing pin nor would I want anyone inexperienced pulling parts out of her pistol. Can anyone offer straight forward legal options or suggestions to return her firearm. I dusted off her old 637 j frame I'd been housing in the interim but when I took her to the range to bone up on her skills it became quickly apparent she no longer has the strength to confidently wield her wheel gun making the return more urgent. I have no experience or had the need to ship or receive a firearm that didn't involve a FFL transfer any advice or suggestion on cost effective , expedient and legal means of getting this firearm back where it belongs would be greatly appreciated .
View Quote

FFL time.
YOU cannot ship the gun.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi folks . Here's the issue . My mother spent the summer with her sister in Michigan as a post retirement vacation upon returning she contacts me stating she left her carry gun in her sisters safe (moms in KY) . I've looked at several options to have the firearm shipped back to her home but the restrictions and requirements read like the shuttle manual . One option said removal of firing pin another said barrel or upper shipped separately .
Neither UPS or FedEx has such requirements.

Frankly I don't think the folks shipping the firearm have the aptitude to remove the firing pin nor would I want anyone inexperienced pulling parts out of her pistol. Can anyone offer straight forward legal options or suggestions to return her firearm.
The legal options:
1. Mom returns to Michigan and brings it back with her.
2. Mom returns to Michigan and ships the firearm to her home in KY. While legal, neither UPS/FedEx policies allow this.
3. Your aunt ships the handgun with UPS Next Day/FedEx Overnight to a licensed dealer in KY who will transfer it to your mom via a Form 4473 and NICS.
4. Your aunt takes the handgun to a MI dealer who can ship via USPS Priority Mail for less than half the cost of UPS/FedEx to a licensed dealer in KY who will transfer it to your mom via a Form 4473 and NICS.

I dusted off her old 637 j frame I'd been housing in the interim but when I took her to the range to bone up on her skills it became quickly apparent she no longer has the strength to confidently wield her wheel gun making the return more urgent. I have no experience or had the need to ship or receive a firearm that didn't involve a FFL transfer any advice or suggestion on cost effective , expedient and legal means of getting this firearm back where it belongs would be greatly appreciated .
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The Dog has a far more accurate reply.

But either way the OP cannot do much.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]
If you look at the ATF'S q/a section it covers this. When hunters travel to huntingblocations, they many times mail their rifles ahead a few weeks to keep from dealing with flying with them.
This is legal if the rifle is locked into a case with the key only possessed by them,(without key access by reciever, there is no transfer of possession).
So, a firearm found in the mail with the sender being your mom sending the reciever being your mom shows no transfer and therefore legal.
When I do this, I send to myself C/O my buddy,.when I show up, I have the key to the case which makes it legal. No transfer has taken place.

So if this is your mama's carry gun, how was it forgotten in the safe. Most carry guns never see the safe as they are.....carried.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you look at the ATF'S q/a section it covers this. When hunters travel to huntingblocations, they many times mail their rifles ahead a few weeks to keep from dealing with flying with them.
This is legal if the rifle is locked into a case with the key only possessed by them,(without key access by reciever, there is no transfer of possession).
So, a firearm found in the mail with the sender being your mom sending the reciever being your mom shows no transfer and therefore legal.
When I do this, I send to myself C/O my buddy,.when I show up, I have the key to the case which makes it legal. No transfer has taken place.

So if this is your mama's carry gun, how was it forgotten in the safe. Most carry guns never see the safe as they are.....carried.
View Quote

That might true for long guns but not pistols  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you look at the ATF'S q/a section it covers this.
The ATF FAQ on shipping firearms is rife with errors. Read the actual citation below the FAQ answer to find out the truth.

When hunters travel to huntingblocations, they many times mail their rifles ahead a few weeks to keep from dealing with flying with them.
It's his mom's handgun, not a rifle. Only licensed dealers and manufacturers can mail or receive by mail a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun.
You are confusing TSA requirements for checked luggage containing firearms. No ATF, DOT or USPS regulation requires a lock or locked case.
While there may be a Colorado law that requires you to use a locked case, Federal law and ATF regulations do not. Federal law only requires that you ship the firearm addressed to yourself at that out of state address, and that only YOU open the box.

I have around ten carry guns sitting in my safe. No Federal law or ATF regulation on how many carry guns a person can have either.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top