Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 9:32:23 PM EDT
I do not have an FFL. I want to ship a handgun to another state, to the person purchasing it. I realize I must ship to an FFL dealer. But is it correct that, I do not have to ship FROM MY FFL dealer?  Can I ship it myself via FED EX overnight?

Also.....do I need to get a copy of the buyers permit or is that the responsibility of the FFL dealer??

THANKS!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I realize I must ship to an FFL dealer. But is it correct that, I do not have to ship FROM MY FFL dealer?  
View Quote

That is correct.

Also.....do I need to get a copy of the buyers permit or is that the responsibility of the FFL dealer??
View Quote

His permit to do what? You need a signed ink copy of his FFL that you are shipping to.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
His permit to do what? You need a signed ink copy of his FFL that you are shipping to.
View Quote

No, and many to most dealers won't give you a signed original unless you're also an FFL.

The "signed in ink original" only applies to shipments received by an FFL from another FFL.  Non-licensees can ship to the licensee with a photocopy or no copy at all.

Palmer - you have nothing to do with the transaction on the buyer's end, basically.  That's why you're shipping to an FFL in the buyer's state - to do their state's mandated checks, and perform the federally-required NICS check.  

(BTW, most states don't have a permit to purchase system... Colorado, for instance, is cash and carry, same-day, as many as you want.  Permits?  we don't need no steenking permits!).
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#3]

His permit to do what?
View Quote

I meant his CCW.

you have nothing to do with the transaction on the buyer's end, basically. That's why you're shipping to an FFL in the buyer's state
View Quote

Great, Thanks, thats what I was lookin for.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Non-licensees can ship to the licensee with a photocopy or no copy at all.
View Quote

Under either circumstance, how can a seller be sure he is sending his gun to an FFL? What if someone scanned their dealers FFL and changed the address on it to their own?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
palmer: Check with your pistol permit office in your County where your permit was issued. They may want documentation as to the disposition of your pistol.  Since you're not selling it to another NY PP holder or NY FFL you won't get a purchase order from the purchaser or a receipt from the NY dealer.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Under either circumstance, how can a seller be sure he is sending his gun to an FFL? What if someone scanned their dealers FFL and changed the address on it to their own?
View Quote

You can go to the BATF FFL eZCheck web site and verify the validity of the license and the premisis address.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You can go to the BATF FFL eZCheck web site and verify the validity of the license and the premisis address.
View Quote

Okay, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
NCPD Pistol License Handbook:

[img]http://www.rantpipe.com/Articles/Includes/NassauPistolPermit/NassauCountyPistolHandbook/PistolHandbook10.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.rantpipe.com/Articles/Includes/NassauPistolPermit/NassauCountyPistolHandbook/NassauCountyPistolHandbook.asp[/url]

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, when you go there tell NC they can kiss my ass for there $200 expiring target/hunting permit!  Under state law the maximum fee is $10 but they got around that by having a special bill passed in the legislature.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
In case anyone cares, I did get an inked signed copy of the FFL, shipped the handgun overnight by FedEx. A few days later, the FFL I sent it to sends me a bill of sale for the gun. I take the bill of sale and the inked signed copy of the FFL to my county pistol permit section to have the gun removed from my permit. The person there helping me said everything looks fine, another worker sticks his nose into it and starts to make a big stink, that I should have shipped FROM an FFL. I said where is this written, that I should have known?  The answer I got was that I should have checked with them first. So, I said the "Pistol Permit Handbook" should be revised so people would know this.

Anyway, I got a slap on the nose and was told from now on, go thru an FFL on both ends.

Today I sent another handgun to the same FFL, but of coarse I sent FROM an FFL and it set me back $76.00..........ouch!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Relevant info from the BATF site:

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1[/url]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or [i][b]to a licensee in any state[/b][/i].
[Emphasis added]
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top