Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 6:10:55 AM EDT
I'm in process of auctioning an antique shotgun that I acquired at an estate sale a few years ago. It's a break-down type so that will make fittting it in a box much easier. It will only require a C&R to ship and I'm familiar with the procedure for legal transfers, but is there a preferred carrier? I don't want to get into a pizzing match with the trolls at the counter over at USP/FEDEX/etc...

Which is the easiest carrier to use? What do you declare?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm in process of auctioning an antique shotgun that I acquired at an estate sale a few years ago. It's a break-down type so that will make fittting it in a box much easier. It will only require a C&R to ship and I'm familiar with the procedure for legal transfers, but is there a preferred carrier? I don't want to get into a pizzing match with the trolls at the counter over at USP/FEDEX/etc...

Is it an antique or a C&R?

Either way, the easiest method of shipping would be priority mail.  The cheapest, including insurance, should be UPS.  If the shotgun is a C&R, you will be shipping to a licensee and notification to the carrier of the contents is not legally required.  UPS however, will want to know and not telling them could jepordize any insurance claims.  

If the shotgun is an antique (made before 1899) then you don't have to ship to a licensee.

The postal regulations for mailing firearms can be found in Section C024 of the Domestic Mail Manual.  Each clerk should have a copy at their window.  For UPS, here is their tariff for shipping firearms:

Firearms will be transported between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618, enacted October 22, 1968), as amended by the Firearms Owners' Protection Act (P.L. 99-308, approved May 19, 1986, and a subsequent amendment thereto, P.L. 99-360, approved July 8, 1986)("the acts"). law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof, and law enforcement agencies of any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state, or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local law. The shipper must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery to each package containing a firerm. Adult means a person 21 years of age or older. UPS, in its sole discretion, may require the shipper to select a UPS Next Day Air Service for any shipment containing a firearm. Handguns, as defined by the Acts, will only be accepted for transportation via UPS Next Day Air Services, but will not be accepted for transportation via UPS Drop Boxes, Internet Shipping, or in response to a request for On-Call Pickup Service. Firearms, including handguns, will not be accepted when presented for shipment at locations of The UPS Store or any Third Party Retailer (as described in Item 1090).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:30:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it an antique or a C&R?

The serial number suggests that it was mfg sometime between 1899-1901.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Disassemble and place it in as short a box as possible.  A long skinny box just screams "GUN!!!  Steal me!!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top