Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 4/19/2007 3:28:23 PM EST
Where can I find a box the right size for shipping an AR carbine upper? Tried Office Depot and Office Max but they didn't have anything suitable and they wanted $14 for a tiny roll of bubble wrap! Where should I be looking?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:30:37 PM EST
In the dumpster behind the strip malls. And get old newspapers to wrap it in. An over sized box stuffed with good packing is better than a box the right size with minimal packing, you can never OVER pack something.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:16:00 PM EST
You do NOT want a long skinny box that screams, "Firearm - STEAL ME!!!"

Also, long skinny boxes are more easily damaged.  They WILL stack something on it and it will bend in the middle.

You want a shorter rectangular box.  Split the upper from the lower, and wrap each half in lots of bubble wrap.  Reinforce both ends of the upper with 3-4 layers of cardboard to prevent the ends from breaking through and being damaged.  Nothing is worse than receiving a firearm withe muzzle sticking out of the box and damaged.

2" wide fiberglass strapping tape is your friend.  Use lots of it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:19:08 PM EST
If it's a flat top try a map tube. If it has a carry handle, try making a cut and folded carboard envelope for it. Wrap it in newspapers. Declare it as machine parts to your shipper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:28:01 PM EST

Quoted:
If it's a flat top try a map tube. If it has a carry handle, try making a cut and folded carboard envelope for it. Wrap it in newspapers. Declare it as machine parts to your shipper.

I guaran-damn-tee you that will arrive wherever damaged or not arrive at all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:28:39 PM EST
Go to USPS webpage and look for the long triangular boxes.  Those work great!

Wal-Mart has huge rolls of bubble wrap on the cheap.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:29:21 PM EST
the post office has these nifty triangle shaped boxes that are damn perfect for an upper to fit into. I got my first one shipped to me like that and thought it was a great way to go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:30:11 PM EST

Quoted:
Where can I find a box the right size for shipping an AR carbine upper? Tried Office Depot and Office Max but they didn't have anything suitable and they wanted $14 for a tiny roll of bubble wrap! Where should I be looking?

FEDEX has triangular long shipping tubes that should work fine with some bubble wrap.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:49:31 PM EST
remember.... "machine parts"
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:00:01 PM EST
Yup, just drop by your post office and tell them you want one of those triangular shaped shipping boxes. I think they are about 36" long. And they are free. That's what I shipped my uppers in before with very good results. I put the upper in one of those gun sleeves, then packed lots of newspapers into the ends of the box, as well as around the sides. That'll give you all the protection you need.
Top Top