Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 11/5/2009 6:49:52 AM EST
I know this is legal to do as a non-dealer, I just want some clarification. If I am correct...

Must go through an independant carrier (i.e. FedEx or UPS) and not the USPS.

Just wanted to know how you guys usually deal with this. I want to insure it, but do not plan to tell them what it is. Is this ok?
Do I need to tell them it is a rifle?
Am I covered as long as I have a copy of the FFL and it goes to the address listed?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:51:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By semperfiws6:
I know this is legal to do as a non-dealer, I just want some clarification. If I am correct...

Just wanted to know how you guys usually deal with this. I want to insure it, but do not plan to tell them what it is. Is this ok?
Am I covered as long as I have a copy of the FFL and it goes to the address listed?

Thanks

You can ship rifles via USPS. Handguns must go via contract carrier.

I've always shipped rifles USPS. I've never had an issue.

I keep the FFL in a file.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:54:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:55:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Thanks

You can ship rifles via USPS. Handguns must go via contract carrier.

I've always shipped rifles USPS. I've never had an issue.

I keep the FFL in a file.

Can you show me a reference that says I can ship USPS? Dont doubt you, just wanna see. That would be the easiest for me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:55:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/5/2009 6:55:56 AM EST by thebeekeeper1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:58:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
I'd suggest double checking the FFL legitimacy on the BATFE website. It will confirm you are sending it to the correct/legit address.

The FFL will almost certainly (if he has a brain) demand a copy of your driver's license––this is normal, as he must be able to prove who sent him the firearm.

Edit: USPS for long guns is fine and legal.

Do I need to show them the FFL and tell them it is a rifle?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:01:19 AM EST
Just found it on the ATF site.

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Doesnt say anything about declaring what it is. Guess I am GTG.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:09:37 AM EST
I've shipped firearms (1 handgun, 2 rifles) three times and went to an FFL each time, let them handle it all and paid $15 extra.

Yeah, it cost more but I wasn't running all over town or arguing with some bureaucratic fuck at UPS OR a UPS Store (which is something I've done on things not firearm related).

All three times it went off without a hitch.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:15:11 AM EST
Not to hijack, but what about a stripped lower? It seems like it could go either way.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:15:16 AM EST
Just found it on the ATF site.

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Doesnt say anything about declaring what it is. Guess I am GTG.

Thanks

You are correct, I called the Postal Inspector to inquire about this very same thing, and he stated verbatim what the ATF site stated, and emphasized (which common sense told me regardless) don't place any markings inidcating theres a firearm in the package....

" HANDLE WITH CARE - EXPENSIVE ASSAULT RIFLE WITH LOTS OF TACTICOOL ACCESSORIES ENCLOSED"

and as mentioned, you can check FFL's online and if the FFL doesn't ask for a copy of your license, double check his status!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:20:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By gamesniper:
I've shipped firearms (1 handgun, 2 rifles) three times and went to an FFL each time, let them handle it all and paid $15 extra.

Yeah, it cost more but I wasn't running all over town or arguing with some bureaucratic fuck at UPS OR a UPS Store (which is something I've done on things not firearm related).

All three times it went off without a hitch.

That's all well and good if you can find one who'll do it for $15. I've seen them charge anywhere from $25 to $100.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:43:10 AM EST
I usually go UPS hub. No need for overnight for long gun.
I had to go FFL to FFL to ship to NY (Ban state).
Top Top