Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2001 2:00:48 PM EDT
I sold a older pistol (Tokarev) to get some $$ to buy a newer one for the wife, I need to send it to this guys FFL.  How do I go about this?  UPS, USPS, Fed EX.  DO I tell them?  Mark it machined parts, etc?
Never done this before can you guys help me?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I drove to UPS and shipped it myself.
Everyone else will make you use an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a CZ-52 not too long ago(Last Year?) on an online auction.  I have a C&R so the guy shipped it directly too me.  I don't know if it is still legal or was ever legal, but he shipped it via the post office.  Cost me 17.00 in shipping I think.  I don't know if he told them it was a pistol, they didn't ask me when I went and picked it up; and I sure as hell didn't volunteer it!
guns762
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
UPS or FedEx, and yes, you have to tell them what it is.  Not only that, you have to pay extra for next-day air.  They did this because lots of guns were getting stolen while being shipped.  Their solution?  Hit us for more money instead of dealing with the employee theft problem.  You can't ship a handgun USPS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
How does it work with long guns? I have a Mossberg 500 that needs to have the safety selector replaced. Mossberg tells me by email to just pack it up securely and mail it to them.

Do they just mail it back to me when it's fixed?
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You can legally ship your firearms to an FFL holder for modifications and repair.  When they are done, they can ship them right back to you.  You don't have to use an FFL dealer for this.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
UPS or FedEx...
It's open highway robbery.
I shipped a 1911 off for a trigger job and carry bevel.. Total cost: $160 for work.

Shipping there via UPS: $31.00, how nice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
It's illegal for a normal citizen to send a handgun through the US Postal Service.

[b]HOWEVER[/b], a FFL can do so.  Take your pistol to a friendly FFL and have him ship it.  Priority Mail is one hell of a lot cheaper than overnight UPS/FedEx.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought a CZ-52 not too long ago(Last Year?) on an online auction.  I have a C&R so the guy shipped it directly too me.  I don't know if it is still legal or was ever legal, but he shipped it via the post office.
View Quote

For some insane reason, FFLs (including C&Rs) can ship handguns to each other via the mail but regular folks cannot (there are some exceptions but we won't go into that).  Typical of US laws, it is okay for Bob Smith, regular guy, to send his his pistol via UPS but putting it into the mail is evil.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I sold a older pistol (Tokarev) to get some $$ to buy a newer one for the wife, I need to send it to this guys FFL.  How do I go about this?  UPS, USPS, Fed EX.  DO I tell them?  Mark it machined parts, etc?
View Quote

Non-FFLs must ship handguns via common carrier which is FedEx, UPS, Airborne Express.  Your brother Bob might qualify as a common carrier but I'm not sure.  The law requires that you tell the carrier that there is a gun in the box and prohibits them from marking the box to indicate that a gun is inside.  The recomendation is also that you don't put anything on the outside to indicate that a gun is inside.  For example, if you are sending it to "Jim's Guns"  make the address "Jim's".  Many dealers have a "safe name" that they use on packages like "Jim's Sports".  Sure the final delivery guy figures it out but most of the handlers inbetween don't know.

Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
C&R FFL's cannot mail handguns.  They can be mailed between dealers, manufacturers and distributors in "normal trade shipments".  Anyone can mail rifles or shotguns.  Also, there is no federal law that requires you to notify the carrier that a firearm is in the package as long as you are shipping to an FFL holder.  Notification is only required when shipping to a non-licensee. (There are certain circumstances where the recipient does not need to have an FFL.)
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say that you're incorrect, EOD Guy, Federal law most certainly [b][i]DOES[/i][/b] require a carrier to be notified of the shipment of a firearm:
[b]A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
[/b]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#12]
For any remaining non believers.

FROM FED EX:
but applies to DHL, Airborne Express, RPS, etc as well.

Firearms. FedEx will only accept shipments of firearms when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by federal, state or local regulations when these conditions are met. FedEx will accept and deliver firearms between all areas served in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight and may not be sent C.O.D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the shipper is required to inform FedEx that the package contains a firearm. Firearms may not be shipped in one complete piece. When tendered for shipment, the firearm must be rendered inoperable, either by removing the firing pin in the gun and disconnecting the barrel, or by some other means so the package does not contain a completely assembled, usable weapon. The outside of the package should bear no label, marking, or other written notice that a firearm is contained within. This includes the abbreviation of the name of the shipper or recipient if the name would clearly indicate that the package could contain a firearm. Firearms and ammunition may not be shipped in the same package. Ammunition is always an explosive and must be shipped as Dangerous Goods. Signature release is not available for shipments containing firearms.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws including those pertaining to labeling. The local division office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) can provide assistance with the packaging and shipment of firearms.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
From UPS:

Customers must observe the following procedures to ship firearms, including handguns, via UPS:

UPS accepts firearm shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. UPS daily pickup accounts can also ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, On Call Air Pickup®, and One-Time Pickup. Firearms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlightSM service, or international service. Firearms will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.
UPS accepts handgun shipments from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Counters. Handguns are not accepted for shipment via UPS Letter Centers, UPS SonicAir BestFlight service, UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On Call Air Pickup, UPS One-Time Pickup, or international service. Handguns will not be accepted when presented for shipment at a UPS Authorized Shipping Outlet or a UPS Commercial Counter.
Firearm shippers shipping through a UPS Customer Counter must have a letter on record with UPS stating their status as an authorized firearm shipper.
The shipper must affix a UPS label, requesting an adult signature upon delivery, to each package containing a firearm.
Packages containing handguns must be shipped via UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® service.
Packages containing handguns must be segregated from other packages being tendered to UPS. Handgun shippers must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Counter clerk of any package containing a handgun.
UPS prohibits the inclusion of ammunition in packages containing firearms, including handguns.
In locations where a UPS Next Day Air service is not offered, packages containing handguns must be shipped via the most premium domestic air service availa

Guess it all boils down to:
I drove to UPS and shipped it myself.
Everyone else will make you use an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#14]
i sent a ruger to their factory for repairs threw the us postal service.i was told to do so by ruger so i question that it is not legle for me to do that .
but to be totally on the up and up simply break down the pistol and devid them up into 2 packages.this way you are sending part only.and besides insure it ,you dont have to say whats in it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#15]
i think it is stupid to tell post office fed x ups etc that your shipping a gun.thats a sure way for it to be stolen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Jim Dandy,  
I am correct.  If you will read the regulation (27CFR178.31(a)), it says that notification is required when shipping to a person OTHER THAN a licensee.  I also have 2 separate letters from BATF HQ confirming that notification is NOT required when shipping to a licensee.  You are quoting the answer to question B9 in the FAQ section of the green book.  The letters I have admit that the answer is incorrect.

On the other hand, if you don't declare a firearm, you will have a hell of a time pursuing an insurance claim.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Scooper,

If Ruger told you to ship a pistol via the Post Office, they were telling you to violate, at a minimum, US Postal Regulations.  I believe the Postal regulations have the force of Federal law.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Garden Weasel EOD guy are both correct.  I am a 7 year employee with FedEx and the post from Weasel is completely taken from our service guide.  (Corporate policy)
Eric, sorry about the emails early today that were not totaly correct.  Family members and several friends have shipped firearms using FED EX to a FFL without declaring the contents and without removing any parts.  I do not endorse this method, although what they don't know.....
Although you may have a hard time with claims if you did not declare contents and something happened to your package, but not likely when shipping FED EX.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Uh, no EOD Guy, you're still incorrect. Later.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Jim Dandy,

OK, both Edward M Owen Jr, Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch at BATF HQ and Gary L Thomas, Chief of the Firearms Program Division at BATF HQ, say that I'm correct.  What do you have that says otherwise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top