Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 3:11:33 PM EDT
How much would it cost to ship a car accross the country? say a Blazer?, what about smaller cars like maybe a Lumina?, and what about a Deuce and a Half?, I ask because I've found some unusually good deals, and I'm wondering if shipping could bite me....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the deals are smoking, the shipping will eat up any savings.  It cost me about $600 to ship a motorcycle from Florida to NY.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The deals are very smokeing, as I think the sellers also are, what I'm not sure but it has to be some good shit....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
About 800 to 1,000 bucks at the high end...

I checked just a few weeks ago.

Look up auto transport on google. Their are a shitload of auto transport brokers. Make sure you get someone who is insured and reputable. Your car will most likely ride on one of those big open auto carriers you see on the freeways all the time...

The cost goes up the further you are away from a shipping depot or if your car is going to a less popular destination. Lots of people ship cars back and forth from the east and west coasts, so shipping a car to California from NJ is cheaper than say NJ to Idaho.

It's actually pretty cheap if you take into account the cost and risk of towing it yourself,
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How much would it cost to ship a car accross the country? say a Blazer?, what about smaller cars like maybe a Lumina?, and what about a Deuce and a Half?, I ask because I've found some unusually good deals, and I'm wondering if shipping could bite me....

a quote from DAS, a K5 Blazer from Ft Lauderdale to OKC was going to run $1400
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I just shipped a car from Vermont to Washington state last fall.  Took a week and a half to get there (depends on whether the driver has several drops and pick ups in the in-between states) and it cost me $1200 bucks.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Look up United Road Services on the net. They are the largest auto transporter in the biz. They have affilations with alot of local towing companies. For example towing co. picks up vehicle, transporter makes a routine stop and picks it up, then transporter delivers it to another local towing co. and then towing co. delivers vehicle after communication with the owner. Sorry for the long explaination, I am in the towing biz.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#8]
It cost me about $1200 to ship an S10 truck from L.A. to near Detroit,MI. I used Reliable Carriers,who are just around the corner.  I should add that this was 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
in 2000, daughter shipped an Infiniti I30 from chicago to LA..cost about $800
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
It cost me $1300 to have a Ford Excursion brought across 3 states, and that was after doing my homework. Prices are up because its becoming so common and shipping times/waits for pickup are up too.  Its mostly brokers handling the deals and then having "whoever" can pick it up within the window doing the driving. They just post a job on the trucker sites and wait for a "yes" or empty promise to pick it up.  
There are alot of nightmare stories out there. Look for the web site that has most of the brokers listed with their customer feedbacks/comments. That is the best plan because trying to get the cheapest one and save $100 could be greatly regreted.
Mine went pretty well until the truck driver called and said he had 200 miles left to go and was nearly out of gas!  He called back later and said his credit card worked after all and to be waiting with cash.
The bottom line was he picked up on time, delivered on time and it wasn't damaged. Imagine my relief.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
passport transport helped me out a few years ago cost was DAMN good compared to alot of others made the deal worth it.

you can also try goldrush but passport was a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I shipped a car from Los Angeles to Northern VA 1996.  Cost me abouit $700 IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I asked this of Nationwide about 6 months ago.  Near as I can recall, it was about $2.50-$3 per mile for a deuce and a half.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Speaking of which there are A LOT on eBay for what seems to be not much money at all - any idea how much for one in good condition?  

Last week there was also a large Swedish Volvo military vehicle that looks sort of like an APC.  Unfortunately its in Sweden and it listed a price of $1900 to have it shipped to the US.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]
On Ebay, and other sites, or buying from an individual I usualy see Deuce and a Halfs going for between $3,000-$5,000, buy them direct from the government however, and there about $35-$50 (your tax dollars at work....), hence this question....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I paid around $200 to haul my Suburban between SC and MD.  That was 3 years ago.  Jet Blue can often time get you out to the west coast for $99 one way.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I own my own truck (18) for a "parking lot" (car hauler) to load up a normal car is relatively cheap.

A 2.5 will be around 2.50 or MORE a mile.
Id haula car/suv, and a deuce and a half from Ca to Fl for around 6000 bux and NO less.
but then again, id look out for it too.
PM me if you are getting these from the same area, I may be able to take care of ya

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
On Ebay, and other sites, or buying from an individual I usualy see Deuce and a Halfs going for between $3,000-$5,000, buy them direct from the government however, and there about $35-$50 (your tax dollars at work....), hence this question....

That's all? I have a feeling momma is going to be mad at me soon...........
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes believe it or not, it's not a miss print, I've never seen any vehical that they sell go for more than around $500, and thats for desirable stuff like 2004+- less than 5,000 mile mint condition passenger cars, but Deuce, and a Halfs, blazers, and older cars usually don't even sell and when they do there in the $35-$50 range, good deals on other stuff to like a box of about 200 M-7 bayonets for about $150, or rifle racks for about $35....
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I cost me around 850 to ship a camaro from Arizona to Ohio 3 years ago
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Last year I sold a Camaro for $30k and transported it coast to coast for $2250.
The buyer wanted it hauled out in an enclosed trailer, and out of the weather. He couldn't find anyone to do it cheaper. Between fuel costs and hotel rooms, I just barely broke even.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Bayonettes too?

I wonder if any of these are sold here in Missouri, where I could just go pick them up. Time for some web searching.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top