Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2006 8:55:46 PM EDT
Can you get this beer anywhere other than Texas?

I'm just wondering since it's probably the best beer in the world.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:56:53 PM EDT
Yes.

I've seen it for sale in Arkansas.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:58:15 PM EDT
Yup. No problem getting it in my local supermarket in San Diego county.

Haven't checked here in Montana... yet.

Yum, yum.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:59:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 9:00:10 PM EDT by Cahill]
I'm a huge Shiner fan, I am in alabama right now and you can get it here.

I think of it an a comfort food. i don't think it is as 'fresh' over here ( like the tags still have a winter promotion in the summer) but it's Shiner none the less
What a great beer
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:01:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

yes it is
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:04:52 PM EDT
I think I might have seen it when I was up in Virginia. I know I've seen it in Arizona.

Bock tends to give me heartburn, tho...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:08:05 PM EDT
Damn good stuff. One of the few American beers I like.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:08:39 PM EDT
It's all over Louisiana too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:13:36 PM EDT
Practically every grocery store in AZ has it......

and it really is one of the best beers ever !
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:18:19 PM EDT
I like their Hefeweizen better.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:20:39 PM EDT
I bet you can find it anywhere you can find Blue Bell as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:23:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:

eh. i've always thought it tasted like soap.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:25:06 PM EDT
You know, I never had it before Gunstock 05. I tried it over a 10 day span while in TX(about 60 of them, just to make sure I really liked it) and am now a huge fan. Luckily, my local beer-man carries it here in CO.

--VT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:38:37 PM EDT
I live three blocks from on of the best liquor stores in College Park, MD. And they carry it, along with the Light, Blond and Hefeweizen. It's something like 5.50-6 bucks a sixer, so it's not a bad price for some pretty good beer. A good value beer. But if you think it's the best, you need to try more beer (or don't, since not many beers are better at that price).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:48:10 PM EDT
It is in OK. and MO. Big fan here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:52:27 PM EDT
cali and arizona have it, good stuff, even have it on tap here in AZ at local steak house.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:02:11 PM EDT
It's available here in the Phoenix area in many bars and grocery stores.

Mmmmmm, Shiner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:04:43 PM EDT
It's available in SE WA. I have never bought it though. I only drink cheap beer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:12:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By freeride21a:
cali and arizona have it, good stuff, even have it on tap here in AZ at local steak house.

Unfortunately that local steakhouse couldn't even figure out how to hang the Texas flag right side up on the wall.

I expect more from a place called 'Texas Roadhouse'.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:14:44 PM EDT
+1 on Hefeweizen. Also Premium/blond is just plain good beer. I grew up 10 miles from the brewery, and could never figure why people drank that boch. Go and take the tour, kick ass and educational.

Anyway, all the flavors are here. No Blue Bell though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:34:08 PM EDT
yuengling
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:38:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

Unfortunately that local steakhouse couldn't even figure out how to hang the Texas flag right side up on the wall.

texas roadhouse is from indiana.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:42:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:

texas roadhouse is from indiana.

There ya go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:45:32 PM EDT
Its in Pennsylvania and Washington. I never drink the stuff personally, tastes like ass.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:04:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chips:

Originally Posted By Burley:

eh. i've always thought it tasted like soap.

that's because it is soap
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:40:55 PM EDT
good ole shiner

quite possibly one of the best beers ever, another fine texas product

i remember when me and my friends bought a keg of it...one of the best weekends of my life

wasnt drinkin tonite, but i saw this thread and had to head to the fridge to get a cold shiner

may i also recommend to you out of towners that stop here a beer called zeigan bock

also, yeungling or whatever the hell it is (damn yankee beer) sucks ass
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:07:56 AM EDT
I went to Texas last weekend. It was my first time in over 10 years, and I'd heard a lot about this Shiner Bock, how it was the best beer in the world, and only available in Texas.

So, when I got to Austin, and to the supermarket with my brother, the subject of beer came up, and I just HAD to try the Shiner Bock that I'd heard so much about.

I was less than impressed.

Still the weekend was good. Lots of good food, TX BBQ especially. So it wasn't a total loss. I think I'll stick to my Firestone Walker.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:09:01 AM EDT
Bass > Shiner

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:26:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 12:27:47 AM EDT by MoparMike]
Ziegen is good stuff too, but only sold within the TX state lines.

And Yuengling has WAY TOO MUCH friggin hops in it.

Well, I am off to get a St. Pauli's Girl before bed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:38:46 AM EDT
Import German Beer > American Beer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:16:25 AM EDT
Check here for availability. www.shiner.com/about/faq.html#
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:36:54 AM EDT
Shiner is available at the local grocery store in Oregon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:46:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 4:50:28 AM EDT by mousehunter]
Shiner Bock is a weak immitation of what it was 20 years ago. It has been seriously mainstreamed (not to mention the price increase - I drank shiner when it was a discount beer - growing up next to the Brewery. I think it was $2.35 a six at one point (in the 80's). Some of the new Shiner beers are much better than bock. I really like Shiner 96 (Hefe is good as well). Guess I should not rag on bock, but it is just not what it once was.

That said, I miss Celis (of Austin). I want my Grande Crue back. Celis was what Shiner could have been. Course that is both a compliment and a warning. Celis was excelent beer. But they were bought out and shut down. Shiner was essentially bought out as well, but expanded rather than shut down (funny, I think the expanded Shiner still is smaller than Celis was)

I started my Bachlor Party (a three day event) at the Hospitality room in Shiner. I highly recomend the visit. I am pretty sure what we were served there is not quite the same as what they sell. 4 (free) 6oz beers and we were all feeling a bit too happy. Then we went to Howards (basically Shiner Brewery's brew pub) - and got sloshed with $1.25 pints.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:51:32 AM EDT
I've bought it at a beer distributor here in MD, and had it on tap at a Hooters in Huntsville, AL.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:55:48 AM EDT
We have it in a lot of places here in Virginia.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:00:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mousehunter:

That said, I miss Celis (of Austin). I want my Grande Crue back. Celis was what Shiner could have been. Course that is both a compliment and a warning. Celis was excelent beer. But they were bought out and shut down. Shiner was essentially bought out as well, but expanded rather than shut down (funny, I think the expanded Shiner still is smaller than Celis was)

Man, i used to drink Celis rasberry like they where going to quit making it. Im glad i did, because they quit making it!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:02:15 AM EDT
Has anybody had the limited run of Shiner's 96 Marzan? Wow!

They are going to have a run for the next 4 years up until the 100th Anniversery of the brewery. I hope that they make it permanent after that.

By the way, no problem finding Shiner in Georgia.

Yeungling is decent beer and I would like to kindly remind the gentleman in Texas that the Yankess won, so they get to make the rules (and any beer that they damn well please).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:33:14 AM EDT
I agree, not as good as it used to be. Back in the 80's it was much smoother and had a more full bodied taste...it may be the difference between natural carbonation in the fermenting and nitrogen burst (or whatever they use now). A while back Shiner was bought by a larger company and marketed nation wide. Almost immediately it just didn't taste the same.

I can't remember which one it is, but the special run with a horney toad on the box is some pretty good stuff as well. Gotta say, I still like it (especially on tap) but it's no where near the "micro-brew" that it was 15-20 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:39:13 AM EDT
Shiner is O.K., for an American style bock (now there's an oxymoron ). However, since you're in the right neighborhood to get it, you should really step up to St. Arnolds. There are so many to choose from, and they are all soooooo good.

CO
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:06:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MoparMike:

BLASPHEMY!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:07:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deadcat:

BLASPHEMY!

+1 Yuengling rocks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:46:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

BLASPHEMY!

+1 Yuengling rocks.

Do you guys get it down in Virginia? I used to go down to Manassas to chill with some friends and never saw it down there, but could find it pretty regularly in Maryland(I used to live in Chambersburg PA).

On another note, is there any postal restrictions in shipping a couple cases of beer cross-country? Dude in my platoon turns 21 in 3 weeks and would like to have some good beer for him to try since he's from California.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:48:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

BLASPHEMY!

+1 Yuengling rocks.

Do you guys get it down in Virginia? I used to go down to Manassas to chill with some friends and never saw it down there, but could find it pretty regularly in Maryland(I used to live in Chambersburg PA).

Living in a college town has its perks. I have access to a wide asortment of beer. Just about ALL of the Restaurants and bars have Yuengling on tap and most gas stations will have it in the bottle
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:55:20 AM EDT

[
Do you guys get it down in Virginia?

Even the regular grocery stores here in central VA have Yuengling. I used to drink it often in upstate NY when I was in college. Yuengling beats the hell out of drinking the local Genessee

Shiner Bock is available here in Charlottesville,VA. I had some once,but wasn't particularly moved by the experience. It was ok.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:29:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:34:59 AM EDT
Fox Mulder (The X-Files fame) made it popular nationally
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:18:56 PM EDT
Has anybody had the limited run of Shiner's 96 Marzan? Wow!

+1 billion on that.

My daughter and her boyfriend gave me a nice wooden case of it for Christmas. Damn good beer. Now I need to find a good project for the wooden case it came in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:32:38 PM EDT
we have it at the beach in Tarheel.
I haven't drank in over a year, but my mouth is watering for one now, BASTARD!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:34:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

SB is incredibly good. We drink a lot of it...too bad the rest of the world doesn't know about it.

HH
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:34:57 PM EDT
you can get it anywhere in Shreveport, LA.....but we are very close to Texas
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:36:34 PM EDT
never had it. someone want to send me a case? I'll write you a check.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top