Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2015 10:01:04 PM EDT
Hi all,

never had t do this before. This is on a 99 suburban with Vortec 5.7. Old starter out, new one in but it sounds like it grinds a little. Old one didnt have any shims. new one didnt come with any. any good resources on how to get this right before it focks up the flexplate?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to a transmission shop and ask about the shims. They come in various thickness though.

They might give you some.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have the old starter?  Might not be a bad idea to get dimensions of the starter gear, and see if there's a better fit from a different application.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If its grinding it's not in there right.  The fit shouldn't have a shim.  Sometimes the old bolts seem like you have it all the way in, but it's just a hair out - which means the whole thing will be out of alignment with the flywheel.

I'd pull it off, wipe everything clean, get good light on the whole project, and put it back it - making absolutely sure it's all the way properly in place and tightened.

ETA:  Are you also sure you have the RIGHT starter?  1999 350/5.7L were funny, and I think there were 3 or more different ones to choose from the last time I replaced mine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If its grinding it's not in there right.  The fit shouldn't have a shim.  Sometimes the old bolts seem like you have it all the way in, but it's just a hair out - which means the whole thing will be out of alignment with the flywheel.

I'd pull it off, wipe everything clean, get good light on the whole project, and put it back it - making absolutely sure it's all the way properly in place and tightened.

ETA:  Are you also sure you have the RIGHT starter?  1999 350/5.7L were funny, and I think there were 3 or more different ones to choose from the last time I replaced mine.
View Quote

Yeah, the starters did looks different but the paper work said they were direct replacements. I'll check it this weekend. supposedly its gottas have 1/8ths clearance between the pinion shaft and the flexplate teeth. I'll go from there. was looking at this.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top