Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 8:17:05 PM EDT
Sheriff sends Mexico a jail bill
February 15, 2006
Oregonlive.com
www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1139972111105190.xml&coll=7
PENDLETON -- Umatilla County Sheriff John Trumbo has sent Mexico's president a bill for $318,843 -- the cost of jailing 360 Mexicans last year.

Trumbo says the government of Mexico ought to pay for the room and board of its citizens in the county jail.

U.S. taxpayers "have to pay for housing these guys in the jail; they have to pay for the courts, the prosecution and the defense," Trumbo said.

"Somebody has just got to say, 'Enough is enough.' "

Fernando Sanchez, general consul for the Mexican government in Oregon, said Tuesday he thought that Mexican President Vicente Fox would respond to the letter. He also said Trumbo's analysis was too limited.

"My view is that he's not taking note of the economic contribution of the workers there in Umatilla County, which is significant," Sanchez said.

He said Mexican workers boost the economy of an agricultural region such as Umatilla County.

In the letter he mailed to Fox last week, Trumbo argued that "each time an illegal immigrant from Mexico was booked into our jail, we were forced to release local prisoners to make bed space available to your citizens."

Trumbo said he doubts he'll receive a check but hopes his point will be heard in Mexico and the United States. "The public needs to be educated about what the cost is," he said.

"I have no problem with those who come here legally," he said. "We have a real nice Hispanic population here who work hard and pay their taxes."
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Can I send them a bill to recoup my tax dollars?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
- That's awesome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It is about f'king time
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
[Vincet Fox]They just want to take the prison cells even the blacks dont want to inhabit[/Vincent Fox]

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
This "sending Mexico a bill" has been done a few times now.

It would have been funnier if he's sent Fox a box of poo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This "sending Mexico a bill" has been done a few times now.

It would have been funnier if he's sent Fox a box of poo.

Hmmmmm.............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top