BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2006 12:12:36 PM EDT
Sheriff Wants OK To Target Blacks    
10-27-2006 8:32 AM

(Gretna, LA) -- Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee says he is giving the black community a choice. He says the community can let his deputies start to go into black crime ridden neighborhoods to question and frisk young black men, or accept high crime. Lee says unless he targets blacks there will be continued shootings, killings and other violence. The New Orleans NAACP says this threatens to erase all of the progress they have made working with looking for solutions to stopping black on black crime. Officials with the civil rights group want a meeting with the sheriff today.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to read what the sheriff actually said.  "Targeting blacks" sounds like a hack of a summary.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd love to read what the sheriff actually said.  "Targeting blacks" sounds like a hack of a summary.

Harry Lee is asian, maybe he gets a free pass to say stuff like that?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Really, just how fucking stupid is the NAACP's statement? The only real way to stop black on black violence is to lock up the ones doing it! In a way I think that the want to maintain the status quo so they stay viable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok.

The options are.....cops going into crime ridden neighborhoods and questioning and searching and arresting suspects, or not doing that.

And the Sheriff is giving the people a choice.....

Wow....that's sad.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Really, just how fucking stupid is the NAACP's statement? The only real way to stop black on black violence is to lock up the ones doing it! In a way I think that the want to maintain the status quo so they stay viable.

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok.

The options are.....cops going into crime ridden neighborhoods and questioning and searching and arresting suspects, or not doing that.

Wow....that's sad.

Ummmm.... I think he means without the normal Constitutional protections such as needing "reasonable suspicion."  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok.

Wow....that's sad.

Had to deal with similar situation at my former agency.  Citizens were complaining that the police were targetting black neighborhoods.  We were told to target high crime areas, which just happens to be black neighborhoods.  Forget the fact that the city is 70% black in population.  So, we had to direct resources into the "rich and yuppie" part of town too.  Needless to say, crime suppression units couldn't find any crack houses in neighborhoods filled with white collar workers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Harry Lee is asian, maybe he gets a free pass to say stuff like that?

There has to be a joke here- Harry Lee? The Asian Sensation!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok.

Wow....that's sad.

Ummmm.... I think he means without the normal Constitutional protections such as needing "reasonable suspicion."  

Take the word "black" out of the original post and see how it sounds.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How can the "black community" give him permission? Either he what he does is constitutional, or it isn't. If it is he doesn't need permission, and if it isn't the "community" can't give him permission to violate individual's rights.

my guess would be that the NAACP has threatened with civil rights infringement lawsuit in the recent past.

edit: or profiling, or racism, bigotry, yada yada yada horseshit
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How can the "black community" give him permission? Either he what he does is constitutional, or it isn't. If it is he doesn't need permission, and if it isn't the "community" can't give him permission to violate individual's rights.

Doesn't matter if it's constitionally correct or legal, if he doesn't at least act like he's trying to get them on board he'll see riots and lawsuits galore.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted: Needless to say, crime suppression units couldn't find any crack houses in neighborhoods filled with white collar workers.

Now that is mighty strange... no crack houses, no hookers, no gang activity, no car jackings, or other crimes in the non-crime ridden districts.

Very strange... I think Al Sharpton, Kwesi Mfume, Jesse Jackson and Sheila Jackson-Lee need to look into this matter. I'm sure there is a reason why the cops couldn't find any criminal activity in the non-crime ridden districts.

Oh, I know... because you white cops are covering for the white criminals and Bush is pulling your strings - so, apparently it is BUSH'S FAULT!!

We already know that Bush hates black people, that's why he used the Halliburton Hurricane Machine on the black people in New Orleans.

Stupid fucking PC dweebs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted: Needless to say, crime suppression units couldn't find any crack houses in neighborhoods filled with white collar workers.

Now that is mighty strange... no crack houses, no hookers, no gang activity, no car jackings, or other crimes in the non-crime ridden districts.

Very strange... I think Al Sharpton, Kwesi Mfume, Jesse Jackson and Sheila Jackson-Lee need to look into this matter. I'm sure there is a reason why the cops couldn't find any criminal activity in the non-crime ridden districts.

Oh, I know... because you white cops are covering for the white criminals and Bush is pulling your strings - so, apparently it is BUSH'S FAULT!!

We already know that Bush hates black people, that's why he used the Halliburton Hurricane Machine on the black people in New Orleans.

Stupid fucking PC dweebs.

I'm exempt.  I'm multi-racial (1/2 asian, 1/2 white)

ETA:  PC will be the death of this nation.  Look what it's done to our military in Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Its really overweight, balding Norwegians who sneak into the black community and cause crime!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Harry Lee is asian like Michael Jackson is black.  The whole situation disgusts me, but if people want to give away the rights that their forefathers fought and died for, then who am I to stand up and tell them they're stupid.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Its really overweight, balding Norwegians who sneak into the black community and cause crime!

A horde of Vikings on a crime spree?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Harry Lee is asian like Michael Jackson is black.  The whole situation disgusts me, but if people want to give away the rights that their forefathers fought and died for, then who am I to stand up and tell them they're stupid.

Well micheal jackson is black.....

What is wrong wanting to target the people causing crime?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't matter if it's constitionally correct or legal, if he doesn't at least act like he's trying to get them on board he'll see riots and lawsuits galore.

Well then they need to fire him, hire a black police chief, switch from black uniforms to blue "Officer Friendly" uniforms, it worked out great for Syracuse

Worked out great for New Orleans too, no wait... they still accused the PD of being racist
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#22]

He says the community can let his deputies start to go into black crime ridden neighborhoods to question and frisk young black men, or accept high crime. Lee says unless he targets blacks there will be continued shootings, killings and other violence.

[Reporter] We're talking with Mr. Willie Sutton today on the art of bank robbery. Mr. Sutton, why do you rob banks?

[Sutton] Because that's where the money is.

Sure, the police can go around white neighborhoods questioning white yutes, but what good would that do? If you have a toothache, pulling the wrong tooth won't solve the problem. One of these days, maybe those who are the constant victims of robbery and murder (who I really feel sorry for) will figure out that getting the bad guys off the street really is the solution. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is so bloody hard to understand.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:45:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then they need to fire him, hire a black police chief, switch from black uniforms to blue "Officer Friendly" uniforms, it worked out great for Syracuse

They will never ever fire Harry Lee. He rocks. He has been sheriff there FOREVER. He gets in trouble with the NAACP all the time, and it just lets him win by a landslide again and again.

He took on the nutria(giant rat) problem in the city by wandering around the canals with a .22 by himself and simply killing them.

Everyone loves Harry Lee!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Personally I would rather have the po-po stay out of the crime riddled black neighborhoods. Sooner or later the problem would solve itself. Of course they police would have to earn their keep by keeping these residents out of the area where people actually have jobs.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Why would the Sheriff even say this publicly?  Why not just do it as an informal policy?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess I should call duped! Harry made these same comments in the eighties. They showed it on the tv news from the eighties and what he said last night. So Harry, DUPED.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It's hard to tell based on the info presented. But it sounds like he is asking for the "black community's" support when they take appropriate law enforcment action withen the community.  Not asking for special permission to work outside the law.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok.

Wow....that's sad.

Hell, the NYPD (with courts saying its ok) have been seaching people w/o reasonable suspicion for years...
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#29]
He just needs to do his job(I suspect he will) and fuck those that don't like it. I could really get behind a guy like Harry.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting guy.

www.jpso.com/lee.htm

"Harry Lee presently serves as the Commander of the Louisiana State Guard with the rank of Major General (La).

After resigning from the office of United States Magistrate, Harry was appointed as Parish Attorney for the Parish of Jefferson, State of Louisiana, and in 1979 was elected Sheriff of Jefferson Parish. Harry was re-elected in 1983, 1987, 1991, 1995, and again in 1999."

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#31]

The New Orleans NAACP says this threatens to erase all of the progress they have made working with looking for solutions to stopping black on black crime.

The NAACP has made progress in stopping black crime? Where?

I hope they don't stop black on black crime by getting them to switch to black on [some other color] crime.

K
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Put 12 foot fences on top of the dikes.

Call it good, go home.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Its ok to use statistics in preventative policing as long as it doesnt hurt anyones feelings.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
He just needs to do his job(I suspect he will) and fuck those that don't like it. I could really get behind a guy like Harry.

And, running the risk of alienating a sizeable part of the community? Anyway, Sheriff Lee decided to scrap the plan.

www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl102606jbjefferson.79e72878.html

Lee drops idea of targeting black men in high crime areas

09:11 AM CDT on Friday, October 27, 2006

Ben Lemoine / Eyewitness News Reporter

Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee said he is abandoning an idea he had to stop and possibly search young black men in high crime neighborhoods after complaints from the NAACP.

“It’s history,” said Lee in an interview with WWL radio Friday morning. “I’m not thinking about it any more.”

In an interview on WWL-TV Thursday night, Lee said the main reason behind the escalating murder rate in Jefferson Parish is black on black crime involving drugs.

He said that the overwhelming majority of victims of the murders in Jefferson Parish this year have been black, as have the majority of the suspects.

“The white community is not the problem. The black community is the problem,” said Lee. “I think in the last few months now, the black community is recognizing it, and they’re willing to say, the sheriff is right. The problem is in the black community and we have to start doing things differently than we did in the past.”

Lee said that he wanted to confront groups of young black males congregating in the high crime areas, search them and possibly do background checks.

Local NAACP chief Dannatus King, whose organization accompanied Lee on a recent trip to Boston to look at their crime fighting techniques, called the comments "saddening." King said the comments threatened the goodwill that Lee and the NAACP have exchanged.

Lee said that after viewing Mr. Kings’ comments on WWL-TV, that he will call him and say, “you win.”

In Friday morning’s radio interview, Lee said he understood that some people might have problems with his plans to target young black men and that he has no problem stepping back from the idea, one he said he hadn’t even discussed with his staff, much less implemented.

“If they say that they don’t want to do that and that they’ll accept the consequences, that’s okay with me,” he said. “I did not think that stopping blacks from killing blacks would be objectionable to blacks.”

Lee was also told that a couple of web site polls showed high support for his plan, but Lee said that support was likely coming from people who wouldn’t be affected.

He said it is easy for someone whose child is not likely to be stopped to be okay with having other people checked.

Lee added that he harbors no ill will nor has any problem with the NAACP for its criticisms of his idea.

“All I’m trying to do is to save some black kid’s life.”
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And, running the risk of alienating a sizeable part of the community? Anyway, Sheriff Lee decided to scrap the plan.

www.wwltv.com/topstories/stories/wwl102606jbjefferson.79e72878.html

Lee drops idea of targeting black men in high crime areas

09:11 AM CDT on Friday, October 27, 2006

Ben Lemoine / Eyewitness News Reporter

Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee said he is abandoning an idea he had to stop and possibly search young black men in high crime neighborhoods after complaints from the NAACP.

“It’s history,” said Lee in an interview with WWL radio Friday morning. “I’m not thinking about it any more.”

In an interview on WWL-TV Thursday night, Lee said the main reason behind the escalating murder rate in Jefferson Parish is black on black crime involving drugs.

He said that the overwhelming majority of victims of the murders in Jefferson Parish this year have been black, as have the majority of the suspects.

“The white community is not the problem. The black community is the problem,” said Lee. “I think in the last few months now, the black community is recognizing it, and they’re willing to say, the sheriff is right. The problem is in the black community and we have to start doing things differently than we did in the past.”

Lee said that he wanted to confront groups of young black males congregating in the high crime areas, search them and possibly do background checks.

Local NAACP chief Dannatus King, whose organization accompanied Lee on a recent trip to Boston to look at their crime fighting techniques, called the comments "saddening." King said the comments threatened the goodwill that Lee and the NAACP have exchanged.

Lee said that after viewing Mr. Kings’ comments on WWL-TV, that he will call him and say, “you win.”

In Friday morning’s radio interview, Lee said he understood that some people might have problems with his plans to target young black men and that he has no problem stepping back from the idea, one he said he hadn’t even discussed with his staff, much less implemented.

“If they say that they don’t want to do that and that they’ll accept the consequences, that’s okay with me,” he said. “I did not think that stopping blacks from killing blacks would be objectionable to blacks.”

Lee was also told that a couple of web site polls showed high support for his plan, but Lee said that support was likely coming from people who wouldn’t be affected.

He said it is easy for someone whose child is not likely to be stopped to be okay with having other people checked.

Lee added that he harbors no ill will nor has any problem with the NAACP for its criticisms of his idea.

“All I’m trying to do is to save some black kid’s life.”

That's some rare unadulterated un-pc truth there that people don't like to hear.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:06:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Sheriff Wants OK To Target Blacks    
10-27-2006 8:32 AM

(Gretna, LA) -- Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee says he is giving the black community a choice. He says the community can let his deputies start to go into black crime ridden neighborhoods to question and frisk young black men, or accept high crime.

Well, he did give them a choice.  We can arrest criminals, or you can learn to live with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#38]
The last update on this I heard...

Harry is pissed off.
He has a plan he won't be allowed to run with.

So he won't run with it.

From the sounds of things, Harry has had enough of this job. My impression is that he was ready to say "Fuck you all, I quit"... and he may have said exactly that, just nicer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

They will never ever fire Harry Lee. He rocks. He has been sheriff there FOREVER. He gets in trouble with the NAACP all the time, and it just lets him win by a landslide again and again.

He took on the nutria(giant rat) problem in the city by wandering around the canals with a .22 by himself and simply killing them.

Everyone loves Harry Lee!

Yeah, Harry is the man.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Hell, let the little bangers continue to kill each other. At least they won't breed.

Best thing going for the gene pool.

From personal experiences, the black population is NOT interested in taking serious steps to address their serious problems. OK by me if they want to live with the consequences...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Let them police their own neighborhoods then.............and it wont be long before they want the police to come back
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Thats the problem, if the people are black its against the law.  There wouldnt be any civil rights violations if the suspects were white.  You are not allowed to just stop and search black people.  

There are still places that do allow both whites and blacks to be ramdomly stopped and searched...but most of the country it can only happen to whites.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my guess would be that the NAACP has threatened with civil rights infringement lawsuit in the recent past.

edit: or profiling, or racism, bigotry, yada yada yada horseshit

Thats exactly it.  except they didnt have to threaten him...it already a way of life.  You can't just pull over a search minority groups.  Its fine to do it to anyone else as part of community policing standards.

I hate to say it, but that is why there are no high crime White neighborhoods.  There are plenty of white only very poor neighborhoods in america.  They are not half as bad as the black or hispanic ones because LEO have no civil rights laws to worry about.

I'm not saying whites dont have civil rights, I'm saying the LEO rarely have to worry about it when stopping any whites.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:59:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Why would the Sheriff even say this publicly?  Why not just do it as an informal policy?

because he knows he willbe violating CR laws.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I remember a story about someone asking a bankrobber why he robbed banks, his answer was "because that's where the money is". This makes perfect logic, if you ask me...

Considering the sheriff wants to cut down on black on black crime, who else should he look at???....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I remember a story about someone asking a bankrobber why he robbed banks, his answer was "because that's where the money is". This makes perfect logic, if you ask me...

Considering the sheriff wants to cut down on black on black crime, who else should he look at???....

well, it's obviously the white man's fault
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I hate to say it, but that is why there are no high crime White neighborhoods.  There are plenty of white only very poor neighborhoods in america.  

Wow.  You haven't spent much time in Boston or NYC, have you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Without probable cause there is no way I would support the searching of an individual.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#49]
So the NAACP calls it "black on black crime," but the Sheriff can't say anything about targeting black people specifically?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#50]
I thought this was usually solved with a curfew.  If the community voted on a curfew, then there could be a law that  the police could enforce.  

I do not agree with a the police frisking people who were not disobeying the law.  But constitutional protections are protections against the federal government.  If the local community feels strongly enough to ask for a cerfew, then I do not see this as a violation of constitutional protections.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top