Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 11:57:07 AM EDT
Question for those who like to exercise the liver every now and then. Does Liquor have a shelf life? Can it go bad? I know stuff like Bailey's can sour if it's not kept cold after you open it and eventually it will have to be tossed.  But what about straight booze. Things like scotch, rum, vodka, gin and burbon.  I know certain wines get better with age, but others like whites/blush are supposed to be drank sooner than later.  What about liquers like creme de menthe, schnapps in various flavors etc.

I am moving for the second time in a year and a half and will need to put some stuff into storage for a couple months until I get a place to call my own again (I gotta got to training for about 4 weeks and will be homeless for that period, unless you consider Holiday Inn home). I just want to poperly care for my home bar(which is rather extensive) while it is stored. [booze][beer]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Just throw a week-long bender before you go so you wont have to worry with storing all that alcohol.

[;D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Liquor lasts forever, good wine can last hundreds of years, canned beer: see label.
(Sealed containers)

Bailey's (and similar stuff) isn't liquor, but liquid panties remover. Only girlies drink that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Only girlies drink that.
View Quote

I see the art of removing panties is lost on you. [;)] BTW Baileys and Buttershots on the femal body makes for some interesting uh flavors. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Liquor lasts forever, good wine can last hundreds of years, canned beer: see label.
(Sealed containers)

[red]Bailey's (and similar stuff) isn't liquor, but liquid panties remover. Only girlies drink that.[/red]
View Quote

I know,,,thats how I learned it goes bad over time.  I had some and after opening it for the reason you state, I never used it again.  Until I had another girl who wanted soem of that stuff.  By that time it had turned into Bailey's Irish Cottage Cheese.[:x*]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
[nono] If you have to ask about your booze going bad, your not drinking enough.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
As Kar98 stated above. Liquor won't go bad. That includes bourbon, scotch, blended whiskies, tequila, vodka, rum, gin, etc.

White wine will turn into vinegar after a while, but a few months won't hurt it. Red wine only gets better with age.

Any of the liqeour's(sp) should only be consumed by females.

I also have to agree with Max_Power. If you are worried about your booze going bad then you aren't drinking enough.

Rusty
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]
canned or bottled beer not in a frige goes bad sometime within 15 years, and stinks too [puke]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Depending on what it is and how you store it the stuff can dam near last forever.

I've seen bourbons for sale in whole sale liquor catalogs that were bottled in the[b]1870's[/b]  

Then theres that greek wine that Mr. coustau dug out of a sunken ship that was well over 2000 years old.

In both cases the stuff was perfectly edible
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Does Liquor have a shelf life? Can it go bad?
View Quote

Don't know, I'm not that patient.   [booze]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen bourbons for sale in whole sale liquor catalogs that were bottled in the1870's
View Quote

Was that bottled or put in the cask? Whiskey, unlike wine, does not age in glass. Aging of whiskey is a chemical interaction between the wood and all the nasty compounds in the whiskey, thus mellowing it. I'd imagine there is a limit to the process, beyond patience.
Straight distilled spirits will not go bad. If they're mixed with something, whatever they're mixed with will have a shelf life-liquers. Beer, like red wine, will age, but it will go bad after a while. The variable with beer is alcohol content and hop acids, the bitter ones. That's what makes IndiaPaleAle. IPA originally was highly hopped and had a high alcoholo content to preserve it for long trips on ships from England to India. I think most domestic beers have some sort of preservative added, or maybe the pasteurization process helps preserve them. I've found some bottles of stout and other heavier ales I had "lost" (homebrewer, lots of bottles) that were well over a year old and very tasty.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've seen bourbons for sale in whole sale liquor catalogs that were bottled in the1870's
View Quote

Now that i think about it they were most likely in the cask. I recall the stuff selling in the 5 figure range. I cant see single [b]bottles[/b] kentucky redeye selling for that.

Thanks for keeping me honest. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Then theres that greek wine that Mr. coustau dug out of a sunken ship that was well over 2000 years old.
View Quote

Would 2000yr old Greek wine be the appropriate beverage to drink with wooly mammoth steak?  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Would 2000yr old Greek wine be the appropriate beverage to drink with wooly mammoth steak?  
View Quote

no, the correct beverage would be some cheap russian vodka.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top