Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 3:46:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I put mine in the vise and use a file.  Try to take even amounts off both sides.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Remove it from the shaft and use a bench grinder.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If you lock a belt sander upside down in a bench vise you can put a pretty good edge on the blade.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a grinder on mine.
Then I bought a new one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You can sharpen it yourself with a bench grinder, but go slow and don't overheat the edge. To rebalance it, clamp  a phillips srewdriver (or similar) to you bench, put the blade on it and take metal off the heavy side until it is balanced. Not precise but good enough.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Dremel makes a kit just for that.
I use it every few weeks on my mower blade and it works pretty well, AND QUICK.
Its basically a gringing stone and a plastic guide.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you lock a belt sander upside down in a bench vise you can put a pretty good edge on the blade.

I have a bench mounted belt sander which is pretty much what you just said.  So +1 to this.

Oh yea, I used an old belt for sharpening stuff.  Works great for shovels, lawnmower blades, hoes, machete's and most lawn tools.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]
If the gouges are deep and the cutting edge is totally rounded I suggest you just invest in a new blade.  If it's for a mower in the 18-22 inch range a standard blade should be well under $20.00 and is easily installed.  For most people you can safely sharpen your blade several times a year but should replace them every year.  Here at the golf course we use 21" cheap throw away mowers to cut the bunker surrounds(picture 6 amigos simultaneously waking around in a circle on a steep banked buker........)and we go through 3-4 blades per mower per year.   Hope this helps.  As in the previous post if you do decide to attempt to sharpen your old one please be very careful to remove the same amount from both sides.................................................
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I put mine in the vise and use a file.  Try to take even amounts off both sides.

THIS is the way it is done.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Garden Equipment  Shops sell things to balance the blades cheap. I use a 4.5" hand grinder to make a 22 degree (close) edge on the blade and balance with the tool often during sharpening.

Severly out of balance blades can and will over time contribute to other failures such as bearing failure and cracks in the mower deck.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's out of balance enough it will vibrate pretty hard and ruin the oil seal on the bottom of the crank. You can even hold it on a phillips in your hand through the center hole and see which side is heavy. You *can* use a file but it will take awhile if the edge is round, and it will take forever to balance it. You can take metal off the non-edge side to balance.
Or just take it to a lawnmower shop a wait a sec while they do it for you.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
A decent local mower shop will probably charge you $3.00-$4.00 to sharpen and balance your blade. A bench grinder works best, and it is easier to show you how to grind your blade than tell you. Most people go wrong by grinding a bit, then looking at their edge, then grinding some more, looking, grinding, and they end up with a rounded edge.

Using the tool rest, keep moving the blade back and forth until the sparks just roll over the back side of the blade. When the sparks do this all of the way across the edge, sharpen the other side. In a fashion, you are duplicating the sharpening of a knife blade (kind of shaving the grinder wheel). Done correctly, you will end up with a nice hollow ground edge. It is worth the time to learn to do this correctly, so take the time to practice.

I know you said you don't have a bench grinder, but a fair one can be purchased pretty cheap these days. I think Home Despot sells Back and Decker bench grinders for ~$30.00 or so. The tool rest is usually a bit short for the whole length of the sharpened edge of the blade, so if you have a buddy that welds, have him weld you up a longer rest. FWIW, this job can make quite a bit of grinder dust, so plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Bench grinders can overheat the heat treated blades of most mower blades. Unless you know what you are doing do it by hand. Test balance by rotating on a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I am very disappointed with all of you.

No one has made a "slingblade" joke yet.

BTW, Carl (Billy Bob Thorten) showed the proper lawnmower sharpening technique in that film (Put in a vice/sharpen with file)

Scott
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#19]
What you fixin to do with that blade Carl?

FWIW, you don't have to worry about overheating the edge of the blade using a bench grinder if you keep the edge moving back and forth, and NOT forcing the blade into the wheel. I can sharpen a blade good enough to shave using a bench grinder. Been sharpening blades this way for over twenty years.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This is the only propper way, thenmake sure it is balanced
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#21]
If you've got a large C clamp you can clamp the blade onto something like a truck bumper or deck railing(use your imagination) to secure it for sharpening with a file or angle grinder. I find that hanging the blade on a nail is an easy way to check the balance, and as stated above take metal off the back of the blade to balance it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#22]
A file is 2-3 bucks.

a vise is pretty cheap.

that's all I use on mine.

OTOH, sometimes when I'm lazy, I just replace it for about 6-8 bucks.

ain't ni biggie.

Then again, blades don't have to be very sharp on a mower, as they 'whip' the grass blades off as opposed to actually cut it.

whatever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#23]
File

bench grinder

dremel

knive sharpener

Take your pick, I've used them all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I never take anything off of the back of the blade for balance. Done right, all the grinding one needs to do is along the edge.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If the gouges are deep and the cutting edge is totally rounded I suggest you just invest in a new blade.  If it's for a mower in the 18-22 inch range a standard blade should be well under $20.00 and is easily installed.  For most people you can safely sharpen your blade several times a year but should replace them every year.  Here at the golf course we use 21" cheap throw away mowers to cut the bunker surrounds(picture 6 amigos simultaneously waking around in a circle on a steep banked buker........)and we go through 3-4 blades per mower per year.   Hope this helps.  As in the previous post if you do decide to attempt to sharpen your old one please be very careful to remove the same amount from both sides.................................................

BS.  You can sharpen a mower blade until there is barely any left.  I know, I have seen me do it.  Balance isn't critical, just get it close by checking on a round screwdriver blade.  I have cut tons of grass.  Now I bought desert.  No more grass for me.  Very relieving to sell my LAST EVAR lawn mower!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Balance is critical, but close is good enough. I wouldn't use any blade that has its lifts worn away. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I love these tool time threads.

Especially the ones about sharpening things.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#28]
A guy in my neighborhood will take it off the mower, sharpen and balance it, and re-install for $7.  And they say you can't find a bargain anymore.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top