Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2008 5:27:14 PM EDT
If I have a laptop connected to the internet with a ATT broadband card and also connected to my wiireless network, can I share that internet connection with another laptop?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If I have a laptop connected to the internet with a ATT broadband card and also connected to my wireless network, can I share that internet connection with another laptop?

Tag

Tied this awhile ago and committed a major act of FAIL.

I'd like to do this with my Verizon card and laptops #1 and #2
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

I don't know exactly what setup you have but you can configure your laptop as a gateway with a bit of tinkering.

There's a tech forum here, (Urban Commandos?) but go ahead and post your setup (Laptop, Wireless router if you have it and the OS of the other machine) and I'll direct you to a "How to."

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Laptop 1 with XP Home with ATT card connected to internet.
Laptop 2 XP Home

I have a wireless home network that is currently connected to a Broadband modem that I get internet through Comcast (since we already pay for the ATT card, trying to save the cost of the comcast connection).

Want to be able to use the wireless cellular card that the laptop 1 is using to enable any other laptop on my wirelss network to share connection.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two computers networked sharing a verizon EVDO internet connection.  Its not a wireless lan, tho.

Windows xp internet connection sharing with a linksys router for the lan.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
Laptop 1 with XP Home with ATT card connected to internet.
Laptop 2 XP Home

I have a wireless home network that is currently connected to a Broadband modem that I get internet through Comcast (since we already pay for the ATT card, trying to save the cost of the comcast connection).

Want to be able to use the wireless cellular card that the laptop 1 is using to enable any other laptop on my wirelss network to share connection.

Ok there are a couple of ways to do this.

Hmm I doubt the Broadband router has an Ethernet jack for incoming WAN (Internet Source).
If it did, you could just plug Laptop 1 into it as a source and it would use that to DHCP out your connection.

Looks like the way you are going to have to get that going is to Axe the Modem itself and setup an "Ad Hoc" connection from Laptop 1 to Laptop 2 using Internet Connection Sharing. That would have Laptop 2 actually connect to Laptop 1 in the house to use its internet connection wirelessly,

Here are a few articles on how to get that going.

http://www.home-network-help.com/ad-hoc-wireless-network.html
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top