Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t be a dumbass. If you are a dumbass, have money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Learn when to stop fixing something and when to take it to a professional before you destroy it
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make thin paper gaskets by laying the part on a printer, run a copy off and razor blade and punch, great for shim gaskets like oil pumps
View Quote

Ok i learned one here, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Putting radiator stop leak in your brake fluid doesn't make them stop better or why one should have a light when working on the car at night.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Learn when to stop fixing something and when to take it to a professional before you destroy it
View Quote

Don't tell me what to do!    
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ok i learned one here, thanks.
View Quote

Works for carbs as well, some printers will handle gasket paper
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use random shit from your vehicle to repair things... Think outside the box!

I call it my own roadside assistance program... Or its Friday and I wanna get home work truck fix.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183526/20200206_164324__1__jpg-2381365.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183526/20200206_161848__1__jpg-2381363.JPG

View Quote

I remember that. It was an awesome roadside fix.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't wear gloves and wash my hands with acetone.

I'm 34.  

Fight me
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

X2

ETA, 38
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Almost all spark plugs can be cleaned with a bead blaster and returned to almost new condition, older plugs
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cotter key removers work awesome for going around radiator hoses to break the seal to remove them.
View Quote

Knock a bit of the the tip off and smooth it up lest you rip a hose.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
On old SB Chevy's w/ headers, inevitably you will cook starter solenoids. The early catcon-equipped trucks, say '73- '76, had heat shields for the starters that you could buy cheap and bend/cut to whatever you needed for a F-body, 'vette, etc. If your solenoid quits on you while away from home, pour ice water or anything cold down between the header tubes onto the solenoid. It will start right up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll start...

When doing Bondo, don't feel it with your bare hand.  Use a hanky/bandana between your skin and bodywork.  Not being able to feel the surface finish differences on the body helps a ton in determining high and low spots.

This one I thought was obvious but I never see it mentioned anywhere or talked about online....  

When setting rockers, just bump the starter until the lifter is on the heel of the cam.  Tighten down and/or set lash. Done.  Next valve.  No messing with hand turning the motor, getting it to TDC, bouncing all over to different valves or doing it running.
View Quote

Love him, hate him, indifferent, you can get some older car tuning tricks and the like here : https://www.youtube.com/c/UncleTonysGarage/videos
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Flip the lid
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When working on a carburetor, be sure to remove it before adding it to your trashcan.

Install EFI.

ETA:

Removing inner wheel bearing races by adding 5 small spot welds to the old race. It will fall right out.
View Quote

When stuck working roadside on an EFI with busted sensors or other problems you can't fix on roadside, be sure to recall where the trashcan was that you threw the carburetor into so you can retrieve it.

I've seen some halfway decent looking EFI setups, but none that look nice like this stuff:

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Use a large pair of channel lock pliers to reset brake caliper pistons

Always loosen fill plugs before removing drain plugs
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ALWAYS wear fucking gloves! Don't listen to the dumbass boomers who think not wearing gloves is manly, cars are full of toxic chemical shit that will fuck up your skin!
View Quote

You wear knee pads in the garage a lot?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't wear gloves and wash my hands with acetone.

I'm 34.  

Fight me
View Quote
Rich guy, I just use gas, then put it in the car.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stop front brake grinding noises by bending the metal tabs away from the brake pads.  Also extends brake pad life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you have an electric fuel pump gone bad and it's in your fuel tank? Can't get to that fuel pump without dropping the fuel tank?
Not anywhere near your garage and all your tools and you need to get this bitch to start and roll down the road or at least get it onto a trailer so you can tow the bitch?

Here's your solution ...

You will need a refrigerant flush bottle, a fuel injection pressure testing kit and hoses (that comes with a pressure gauge), some fuel and a portable air compressor.

You can pretty easily fashion a pressurized miniature fuel tank that you can swap out your fuel tank fuel line for.

A quart sized flush bottle will get you at least a couple of miles or get you on to a tow dolly/trailer.

If you need go further just put more fuel in the bottle and repressurize.

I'll go snap some pictures of the setup I keep in a bag in a bit when I get done doing my dipshit boss' job for him. FML, I hate this job.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Stop front brake grinding noises by bending the metal tabs away from the brake pads.  Also extends brake pad life.
View Quote
Stop brake grinding noises by bending the steel brake line in half. Also extends brake life indefinitely.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Propane is fantastic to find vacuum leaks.   Engine speeds up when it sucks the propane in.
View Quote

I still have the tool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Windshield washer fluid is an excellent solvent for dried cunt slime on your seats when you are on the way to date #2 for the night.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#23]
When replacing a clutch, to remove the pilot bushing/bearing from the crankshaft use an old input shaft, alignment tool, or solid round stock the size of the pilot.  Pack the center with grease or bread.  The pound the tool you made into the pilot with a hammer.  The hydraulic force will drive out the pilot bearing/bushing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stop brake grinding noises by bending the steel brake line in half. Also extends brake life indefinitely.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When stuck working roadside on an EFI with busted sensors or other problems you can't fix on roadside, be sure to recall where the trashcan was that you threw the carburetor into so you can retrieve it.

I've seen some halfway decent looking EFI setups, but none that look nice like this stuff:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/62/70/eb/6270eb849ab17d386bc2a0afb533b359.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When working on a carburetor, be sure to remove it before adding it to your trashcan.

Install EFI.

ETA:

Removing inner wheel bearing races by adding 5 small spot welds to the old race. It will fall right out.

Uhuh... We see the whiz-bang ignition box in there guy, nice try.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Compression fittings can be used on brake lines…
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Install EFI.

ETA:

That's a jacobs variable ignition coil.

One, We have that coil. Two, that's a slant six, the coil is positioned right over by the distributor.

and ... uh ... three?  Those are carburetors, which was the thing being discussed and snarked about.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have a misfire that is driving you crazy, first try to remember which plug it was that you re-gapped by dropping it.

Before doing literally everything else trying to troubleshoot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Run a weld bead around timkin cones in blind holes to remove
View Quote

That's also how you remove valve seats from aluminum heads.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#30]
If someone brings you a car that they've been working on and there's something they just can't figure out, make sure to ask what all they've done. Go back and check those repairs, in chronological order, first. It's usually something they ficked up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

One, We have that coil. Two, that's a slant six, the coil is positioned right over by the distributor.

and ... uh ... three?  Those are carburetors, which was the thing being discussed and snarked about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Install EFI.

ETA:

When your done fiddlin' with that Coffee Brewer let me know. I have a bushing that should fit the disti hole that accepts a jeep CPS for easy conversion to EFI.  

Will send ya the drawings, it's an easy lathe part.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

When your done fiddlin' with that Coffee Brewer let me know. I have a bushing that should fit the disti hole that accepts a jeep CPS for easy conversion to EFI.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Install EFI.

ETA:

Fine, but will need the crank trigger and am trying to find COP setups that fit the removable aluminum tubes, and don't ask me to assemble your MS box, just get the premade one that's function tested.

Also, WANT MORE BINKY! wwwwwWWWAAAAHHHHH! *suffers the binky withdrawal shakes after the seat cover installment has worn off* https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSOZAHg1yQHU1tc_3Y5MTQg1qjtxA_nq  (MAKE THE SOUND!)
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Fine, but will need the crank trigger and am trying to find COP setups that fit the removable aluminum tubes, and don't ask me to assemble your MS box, just get the premade one that's function tested.

Also, WANT MORE BINKY! wwwwwWWWAAAAHHHHH! *suffers the binky withdrawal shakes after the seat cover installment has worn off* https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSOZAHg1yQHU1tc_3Y5MTQg1qjtxA_nq  (MAKE THE SOUND!)
View Quote
MOAR BINKY!

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Install EFI.

ETA:

Was following that build! It's been a while since I checked it out. They are doing an over the top killer job.  Last one I watched was paint.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#35]
It's common here to repair rotting floor boards with stolen street signs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Use random shit from your vehicle to repair things... Think outside the box!

I call it my own roadside assistance program... Or its Friday and I wanna get home work truck fix.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183526/20200206_164324__1__jpg-2381365.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183526/20200206_161848__1__jpg-2381363.JPG

View Quote

that is awesome field expedience right there
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The rocker thing is literally SOP for doing valve lash on a race motor. The bondo thing kinda doesn't make sense tho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll start...

When doing Bondo, don't feel it with your bare hand.  Use a hanky/bandana between your skin and bodywork.  Not being able to feel the surface finish differences on the body helps a ton in determining high and low spots.

This one I thought was obvious but I never see it mentioned anywhere or talked about online....  

When setting rockers, just bump the starter until the lifter is on the heel of the cam.  Tighten down and/or set lash. Done.  Next valve.  No messing with hand turning the motor, getting it to TDC, bouncing all over to different valves or doing it running.

The rocker thing is literally SOP for doing valve lash on a race motor. The bondo thing kinda doesn't make sense tho.

I know that, but it seems the entirety of the internet doesn't know that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This doesnt work.

Give it a quick spray of another color primer and sand it.  The uneven spots will magically reveal themselves.  

Everyone who says they can "feel" high/low spots is revealed to be a liar the moment that gloss black or midnight blue paint goes on.  Waves all down the side of the car.  

Speaking of... if you're an amatuer - go with a light color paint.  White is a good choice.  Hides all the shoddy body work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll start...

This doesnt work.

Give it a quick spray of another color primer and sand it.  The uneven spots will magically reveal themselves.  

Everyone who says they can "feel" high/low spots is revealed to be a liar the moment that gloss black or midnight blue paint goes on.  Waves all down the side of the car.  

Speaking of... if you're an amatuer - go with a light color paint.  White is a good choice.  Hides all the shoddy body work.

Are you me?!

I've known a few guys who can just LOOK at bondo, never touch it, and create an absolute piece of imperfection.

Me?  I look at bondo and it gets wavey.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Before you start to work on a car, throw a large piece of cardboard under it.  If you drop a tool/bolt/nut/part you can just slide out the cardboard to retrieve with no effort.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've seen too many outboard problems become nightmares from the owners attempting to fuck with them.

The best is laughing at the myriad of ways people try to take the thrust washer off the prop shaft or taking the steering wheel off the helm.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's common here to repair rotting floor boards with stolen street signs.
View Quote

Sometimes it’s faster to cut through the floorboard / firewall than disassemble, drop, lift the motor and drivetrain for access to parts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Use a large pair of channel lock pliers to reset brake caliper pistons

Always loosen fill plugs before removing drain plugs
View Quote
On a 3/4-1 ton truck, you need a large c-clamp to reset the pistons.  If the piston is hollow, use the worn brake pad under the c-clamp.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've seen too many outboard problems become nightmares from the owners attempting to fuck with them.

The best is laughing at the myriad of ways people try to take the thrust washer off the prop shaft or taking the steering wheel off the helm.
View Quote

You should see the fuckery on old cars where every thing is adjustable
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
On old SB Chevy's w/ headers, inevitably you will cook starter solenoids. The early catcon-equipped trucks, say '73- '76, had heat shields for the starters that you could buy cheap and bend/cut to whatever you needed for a F-body, 'vette, etc. If your solenoid quits on you while away from home, pour ice water or anything cold down between the header tubes onto the solenoid. It will start right up.
View Quote

Switching to late model, gear reduction starters fixes that problem
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Flipping the air cleaner lid doubles the hp.
View Quote

These kids with their turbos don't realize that induction noise is even better than exhaust noise.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, oh jeeze I can just about imagine.

On the older two stroke outboards you could adjust timing, well when some shade tree hot rodder inevitably figures that out, guess what happens next?

The engine make a shit ton of power until you then melt a hole in the crown of the piston
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#47]
....know how to change your own oil
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

On the older two stroke outboards you could adjust timing, well when some shade tree hot rodder inevitably figures that out, guess what happens next?

The engine make a shit ton of power until you then melt a hole in the crown of the piston
View Quote

Distributors and carbs are the worst, first thing people do is start turning adjustments, they don't know what any of them do but has something to do with the problem ya know
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#49]
If it's stuck, force it, if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyways.

From a bumper sticker on a nuclear tech's auto mobile.
Newport news ship yard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Distributors and carbs are the worst, first thing people do is start turning adjustments, they don't know what any of them do but has something to do with the problem ya know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lmao....my uncle daddy said she's running to lean I gotta adjust them jets bro!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top