Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/19/2002 5:26:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 5:56:34 AM EST by QuietShootr]
The following is something I saw on GlockTalk. I thought it would be good to repost here, since we have been known to help folks. I'm in for a donation. (Mandatory pig disclaimer: if you need ANOTHER good reason to send her some help, she's a hottie!) Let me start by saying that if you don't want to send something to the widow of Johnny (Mike) Spann, then don't. But please spare the rest of us the comments about how he should have had more life insurance, a trust fund, a winning lottery ticket, etc. Thank you. This from NewsMax.Com: [url]http://www.newsmax.com/showinside.shtml?a=2002/7/16/224445[/url] Hannity announced his own bid to help the CIA hero's family yesterday, urging his listeners to send donations directly to Mrs. Spann so that no money would be taken out for expenses. On Tuesday he said that WABC Radio would forward any donations it received, advising listeners to mail them in an envelope marked for Shannon Spann, inserted in a larger envelope addressed to: Shannon Spann c/o James Grisham/WABC Radio 2 Penn Plaza, 17th Floor New York, NY 10121 edited by EA to activate link...but it does not work! Should work now...QS
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:35:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 5:37:11 AM EST by The_Beer_Slayer]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:48:50 AM EST
The link no workie.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:00:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 6:02:36 AM EST by RBAD]
What has happened to this family of patriots is TRAGIS. The fed.gov feeds the scumbags at Gitmo, but cannot support the Spann family.?? Huh? [b]This is really a great cause. [/b] [img]http://swansat.com/wpwelty/shannon/shannon.jpg[/img] [img]http://swansat.com/wpwelty/shannon/shannon_3.jpg[/img] [img]http://swansat.com/wpwelty/shannon/shannon_2.jpg[/img] Johnny Micheal Spann was the first hostile action fatality in the Afghanistan War. He was killed in a prison uprising by Taliban prisoners during the Thanksgiving weekend of November 2001. He is survived by his wife Shannon and their three children Alison, Emily, and Jake. [img]http://www.werctalk.com/timages/page/spann.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:02:17 AM EST
Oh yeah.. I forgot to mention: THIS motherfucker should have his head chopped off. (in the "Peaceful Muslim Tradition") [img]http://www.werctalk.com/timages/page/johnwalker.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:05:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 7:36:50 AM EST by DriftPunch]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer: Mike Spann was HERO in the true sense of the word.
View Quote
{putting flame retardant suit on} In my book, heros are rare, and should be viewed with the utmost reverence. The military knows what makes a combat hero, and bestows the Congressional Medal of Honor on those it believes deserve it. Because an individual does great and honorable things, does not make him a hero. The military likewise, knows this and bestows lesser, but by no means dishonorable, titles on those it feels have deserved them (silver star winner, bronze star winner, purple heart recipient, etc). The term "hero", in my eyes, is equivelent to the Congressional Medal of Honor. The circumstanses and actions taken to achieve this level are enormous. Are we so PC that we cannot bestow an honor on someone that isn't the "ultimate" honor? Are we afraid that this will offend somebody. Calling everyone that deserves praise a hero, cheapens the term for those that truely deserve the title. Look, I'm not taking anything away from Spann. Probably a great guy, and his death was a tragic event for the Spann family. But he's not a "hero" in my book. Keep the fact that he was a CIA agent operating in a combat zone in mind when judging him. He was doing his job, and suffered the result of one of the risks inherent in his job. He was killed in the line of duty. He deserves to be treated with respect and honor, but I don't believe he's a hero. It cheapens the Shugharts of the world to call him one. Have at it boys...
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:06:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 6:07:49 AM EST by QuietShootr]
[chainsawkill] Your point is taken, but I don't think this is the place to have the discussion.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:14:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By DriftPunch: {putting flame retardant suit on}
View Quote
It's gonna get mighty hot ! [:D] I feel very strongly about this... This man left his wife and small children to enter a very hostile environment in order to secure our freedom. There are probably many varied levels of "heroism". His bravery stands out in my mind and is something that should be commended and respected. In an email to his family on September 19th, 2001 Mike said: [i] "Our way of life is at stake. We must fight for it. Support you government and military, especially when the bodies start coming home." [/i] [b]Spann chose to do a risky, messy job most Americans would never consider. He died protecting OUR freedom.[/b] God Bless America & The Spann Family.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:14:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2002 6:19:43 AM EST by osprey21]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:18:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By QuietShootr: [chainsawkill] Your point is taken, but I don't think this is the place to have the discussion.
View Quote
Another point taken!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:24:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:25:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By RBAD: Oh yeah.. I forgot to mention: THIS motherfucker should have his head chopped off. (in the "Peaceful Muslim Tradition") [img]http://www.werctalk.com/timages/page/johnwalker.jpg[/img]
View Quote
I bet he never imagined the fury that his own countrymen would rain down on him and his mongrel 3rd world friends. He looks like he regrets the day he ever set foot in Afghanistan. Yes, chop his head off with a butter knife.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:41:54 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:44:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer: He and his wife are patriots in the finest sense of tradition. mike
View Quote
Agreed!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:22:17 AM EST
Just got off the phone with Johnny Spann, Mikes father. The account at State bank and trust is administered by an attorney, to establish accountability. For those of you who, (like me), wish to contribute directly to Shannon Spann, (Mikes widow), for ongoing family expenses, send a check to; Shannon Spann % PO# 308 Winfield, Alabama, 35594 This is Johnny's business address. Johnny made it clear to me, that they are not begging for help. I'm not a wealthy guy by any stretch, but will send what I can today. I hope you will too. Please post this info on other boards, feel free to contact me with any questions at Duncan Adams 541-347-7720.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:27:38 AM EST
Very cool...check enroute.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:44:08 AM EST
If we could leave this tacked for a week or two, that would be great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:53:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By ChrisLe: I happen to agree with Aviator and Driftpunch on the subject of 'hero'. The word hero has been thrown about in a very nonchalant manner lately. Speaking from the perspective of a member of the Armed Forces (former active duty and current reservist) I don't believe the word 'hero' applies in this instance. Anyone who enlists in the Armed Forces is well aware of the fact that they may be called upon to stand in harm's way in defense of their Country and, quite possibly, die in the performance of that duty. It's an accepted part of the job. I for one would not call myself a hero for dying for my country because I knew the risks and chose to go that path. Mike Spann knew the risks that were inherent in his chosen profession just as every other individual who chooses to serve in the Armed Forces does . The fact that he died does not constitute a hero. If merely dying for one's country constitutes a hero, What about the other soldiers that have died in Operation Enduring Freedom? Do we not do them an injustice by not referring to them as heroes also? All I'm saying is that the word hero should be reserved for those who intentionally make the supreme sacrifice so that their fellow soldiers or civilians may live....
Please, out of respect for the family, if you want to discuss this, take it to a new thread. Here, I'll even start one. QS
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:05:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By QuietShootr: Please, out of respect for the family, if you want to discuss this, take it to a new thread. Here, I'll even start one. QS
View Quote
Agreed, post deleted........
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 9:53:41 AM EST
Donation sent. Mike Spann died protecting us and ours, the least every single American can do in these circumstances is take care of their families, and not at the damn poverty level either.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:03:04 PM EST
He wasn't just "one of the guys". He volunteered to be on the tip of the spear. And if he hadn’t been killed, we would never have known his name or that the mission even existed. Hero
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:30:52 PM EST
I concur, this was a tragic loss. I have searched this site and I do not recall seeing this kind of emotion for the families of the Canadian soldiers your pilot killed. I suppose since Canada is as some have so appropriately said, a third world country,(Mexico with snow) they don't count. Typical. Ai
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:36:59 PM EST
I saw Shannon on TV a few months ago. She seems like a real lady. She is ex CIA herself and seems to be a patriot. I heard the news about her having financial problems and I will gladly donate. If I heard of any of the other solder's (including the Canadians) families having problems I would do the same. AILaupa - grow up!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:46:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By Flash66: AILaupa - grow up!
View Quote
Just stating the facts as I see them, O dyslexic one. Ai
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 8:02:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 11:34:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:00:49 AM EST
Liberty86 Mr. Adams, thanks for that info... I think I might send some to both the personal and the bank fund...I am sure that she could use some money immediately for expenses and such. Not sure if she would have to wait for that sent through the bank... It might not be much, but I'll make sure I give what I can...in the grand scheme of things it is insignificant compared to what Mike Spann has given for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:46:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: I am asking you directly to please leave this thread alone, to honor Mr. Spann, by deleting
View Quote
Given the first part of your request, I would gladly have obliged.
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: by deleting your whiny, piss-ant post.
View Quote
After reading the second part of the request, you may GFYS.
Originally Posted By DrFrige: So what is dyslexia something to laugh about? Hope your kids NEVER have it ... piece of garbage.
View Quote
BTW,you FPOS, reread what was written, did I laugh?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:27:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:35:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By raf: AILapua, you have mail. Please consider deleting some of your previous posts in this thread. Whatever provocation you feel you may have had, your responses are over the line, IMHO. RAF
View Quote
YEAH!! DUDE!! You're over the line...[stick]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:08:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By AILapua:
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1: I am asking you directly to please leave this thread alone, to honor Mr. Spann, by deleting
View Quote
View Quote
Originally Posted By DrFrige: So what is dyslexia something to laugh about? Hope your kids NEVER have it ... piece of garbage.
View Quote
View Quote
this is starting to get way out of bounds. Put an end to the shitty side of this thread!!! [pissed]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:41:52 PM EST
If you have something to add that will help the family of our fallen comrade, let's hear it. If not, take it outside. BTW, check's in the mail.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:19:56 PM EST
I hate to bring this up, but as others have pointed out before, if he had been leaning on a water cooler in the WTC, scratching his ass instead of serving his nation in a hostile country, his family would be in line to collect somewhere between $1 million and $4 million. The same holds true for the military personnel killed in theater as well. Survivors collect $250,000 in life insurance, for which we have to pay, and a small pension every month. I just recently attended the memorial of a SFC who was leaving behind a young widow and four small girls between 2 and 8 years old. It is a shame that the government feels that risking one's life is insufficient reason to warrant taking care of your family, should you fall in the line of duty.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 9:10:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:48:29 AM EST
A loved one leaving home and hearth to give us safety in the night is a great sacrifice, laying a loved one on the "Alter of Freedom" is the greatest. God's speed to her and her family.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:53:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By SF: I hate to bring this up, but as others have pointed out before, if he had been leaning on a water cooler in the WTC, scratching his ass instead of serving his nation in a hostile country, his family would be in line to collect somewhere between $1 million and $4 million. The same holds true for the military personnel killed in theater as well. Survivors collect $250,000 in life insurance, for which we have to pay, and a small pension every month. I just recently attended the memorial of a SFC who was leaving behind a young widow and four small girls between 2 and 8 years old. It is a shame that the government feels that risking one's life is insufficient reason to warrant taking care of your family, should you fall in the line of duty.
View Quote
I don't quite understand it myself. The other thing I don't understand is why some folks here feel the need to shit on ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. QS
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:33:13 AM EST
I'm really too pissed to say much. OUT.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:29:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:53:51 PM EST
I am going to say this...If it isn't related to helping the Span family, but to criticize keep it out of this post. No one knows what makes a person a Hero..But I know that when a Family like the Spans says times are hard. You either step up or just SHUT THE F%^K UP...You don't want to help then don't..Save the money towards another round of ammo or gun. But do not Be little another persons passion to do the right thing. If you feel the Canadians were heroes than support them. You don't see anyone here saying they don't deserve their Countries' help. This is a thread from GlockTalk which is another site I have high regards for. This is just a way of getting the word around and will most likely be an E-Mail from someone to you sooner or later. Maybe even one of your friends will send it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:18:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:47:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2002 8:49:17 AM EST by Flood_of_Sins]
Originally Posted By AILapua:
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Dumbass, there is no first amendment here. Besides, your Not American, don't try and tell us what to do. [stick] Edited to add, check is in the mail.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:17:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:57:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By Attman: He wasn't just "one of the guys". He volunteered to be on the tip of the spear. And if he hadn’t been killed, we would never have known his name or that the mission even existed. Hero
View Quote
Nope. Nobody knew mine when I was there. Unlike the other 79 stars on the wall, he died in a high-profile operation, and his name is common, and his family will benefit.
Top Top