Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 3:09:15 PM EDT
Shane was one of my personal heros.  

ESPN

Shane McConkey, 1969-2009

March 26, 2009, 5:46 PM

By: Tim Mutrie

Decorated big mountain skier and BASE jumper Shane McConkey was
killed earlier today in a ski-BASE accident in the Italian Dolomites.
A
member of the Red Bull Air Force and pioneer of the ski-BASE-ing
phenomena, McConkey experienced problems in the air after launching off
a cliff with the expectation of deploying his parachute canopy and then
soaring down to the ground—as he had done successfully some 700 plus
times before.
"He did a double backflip off the jump and he has
these releasable bindings so they come off in the air and then he flies
off in his wing suit," filmmaker Scott Gaffney, a longtime close friend
of McConkey's, told ESPN Action Sports in an interview this afternoon
via phone.
"But one ski did not come off. And when that happens
the drag on the skis causes you to flip over, so the skis go over your
head. So he was struggling with the one ski. Then he also got into a
bad spin. So he may have never even pulled his pilot chute. And that's
coming from JT Holmes, who Shane was with in Italy and who reviewed the
footage of the accident. So the combination of the ski, the spin and
the pilot chute, apparently. Because you can't throw the pilot chute
like that; if you throw it while you're upside-down and it wraps around
the ski, you're done."
McConkey was filming with Matchstick
Productions and Red Bull at the time, according to Scott Gaffney, who
said McConkey apparently died on impact with snow on the ground below
the cliff. Gaffney was not clear about the size of the cliff. "But it
had to be a sizable cliff, at least 400 feet, for him to be planning on
flying his wing suit away from it," Gaffney said.
McConkey, 39, of Olympic Valley, CA, is survived with his wife, Sherry, and their three-and-a-half year-old daughter, Ayla.
This
afternoon Gaffney was at home in Squaw Valley with his brother, Robb,
also a close friend of McConkey's, reeling from the news. "With what
Shane does," said Scott. "It's a call you always picture getting at
some point, but you realistically don't ever expect it to happen."
Added
Robb Gaffney, "Shane's been a part of our lives for quite a while now.
I'm just sitting at Scott's house processing the whole thing. The texts
and calls are coming in, and you can really even feel it in the air in
Squaw right now. I'm thinking about Sherry and his little girl. But in
this area people have always loved Shane, so Sherry and Ayla, they're
going to have an immense amount of support around them. That's one
thing for sure; that's Shane's legacy."

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
BSBD
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had a wife and a little kid, I wouldn't be doing stuff this risky and reckless.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If I had a wife and a little kid, I wouldn't be doing stuff this risky and reckless.

+1 I feel sorry for his wife and child.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll bet that was thrilling right up until impact.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
He was an incredible athlete, and did things on skis noone had previously imagined could be done.

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtXt_UsZ4YQ

For the people who have (and will) said he was irresponsible, etc.  If he's anything like most professional big mountain skiers, his family understood the risks he took and accepted them.  It was also how he earned a living.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This. There's a time for fun, but when you have a 3 year old some things have to take priority.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Risky?  Certainly.
Reckless?  For the vast majority of us, yes.
Would I do it.  No.  At 43 I have too many responsibilities to take that kind of risk.

One thing is for certain.  He died doing something he loved.  How many of us will be that fortunate?  Prayers sent for his family and friends.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
RIP

That said, when you push the envelope and cheat death 700 times, the law of averages will eventually catch up with you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm glad that there are guys like McConkey out there.  (base jumpers, acrobats, free climbers, extreme skiers, giant wave surfers, etc.)

They perform some spectacular feats and stunts that amaze and inspire (well...me at least).

They show what human beings can do (men who either have no fear, or better yet, men who overcome their fear).   As far as I'm concerned, their feats are a physical form of high art and entertainment.

I enjoy what they do far more than I do "illusionists", pro athletes, and arrogant overpaid actors.

He died doing what he loved.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm glad that there are guys like McConkey out there.  (base jumpers, acrobats, free climbers, extreme skiers, giant wave surfers, etc.)

They perform some spectacular feats and stunts that amaze and inspire (well...me at least).

They show what human beings can do (men who either have no fear, or better yet, men who overcome their fear).   As far as I'm concerned, their feats are a physical form of high art and entertainment.

I enjoy what they do far more than I do "illusionists", pro athletes, and arrogant overpaid actors.

I hope that's enough consolation for a three year old that now has no daddy, or a new widow, but I'd be doubtful.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope that's enough consolation for a three year old that now has no daddy, or a new widow, but I'd be doubtful.

His wife married him knowing what his dreams were.  I'm sure she understands a lot better than any of us could.  I'd rather die at 39 while spending my life doing something I love than take a shit job that I hate and live miserably into my 70s because I was afraid to take risks.  Plenty of people do that (take a job they don't like/ live without risk) and die in a car accident in their 20s on the way to that shit job.  

Take a look at THIS thread.  A few of the posters knew him personally, and not one of them said anything about whether he should have done something else with his life (although I'm sure everyone has doubts when something like this happens).

It's cliche, but appropriate: every man dies; not every man lives.  Shane McConkey sure as hell lived
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He was an incredible athlete, and did things on skis noone had previously imagined could be done.

RIP

For the people who have (and will) said he was irresponsible, etc.  If he's anything like most professional big mountain skiers, his family understood the risks he took and accepted them.  It was also how he earned a living.

Earned a dying.  Waddaya wanna bet he left his widow and orphan without any kind of life insurance payments?  If you are young and single, then rampant stupidity for thrills is acceptable.  Wife and kids changes the equation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
i was going to post some comment about how he died doing what he loved and how his wife knew what she was getting into when she married him, but it looks like it's all been said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP

Earned a dying.  Waddaya wanna bet he left his widow and orphan without any kind of life insurance payments?  If you are young and single, then rampant stupidity for thrills is acceptable.  Wife and kids changes the equation.

He did this for a living and was sponsored by some big companies. I garantee his wife and child will be fine.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No shit. Talk about a selfish adrenaline junkie.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure that he's in Vallhalla hoisting a cold one right now, but that little girl of his will probably never understand.

I
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His wife married him knowing what his dreams were.  I'm sure she understands a lot better than any of us could.  I'd rather die at 39 while spending my life doing something I love than take a shit job that I hate and live miserably into my 70s because I was afraid to take risks.  Plenty of people do that (take a job they don't like/ live without risk) and die in a car accident in their 20s on the way to that shit job.  

Take a look at THIS thread.  A few of the posters knew him personally, and not one of them said anything about whether he should have done something else with his life (although I'm sure everyone has doubts when something like this happens).

It's cliche, but appropriate: every man dies; not every man lives.  Shane McConkey sure as hell lived

I agree completely with what you've posted, but a three year old has a different way of processing this, and it sure as heck won't be done in the same way as her mother.

Good time to consider this quote from Thoreau: The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

The Story behind It: American philosopher and naturalist Thoreau isolated himself at Walden Pond in Massachusetts from 1845 to 1847. His experiences during that time were published in Walden (1854), which Thornton Wilder called "a manual of self-reliance." In a well-known passage, Thoreau stated his purpose: "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation..." In the first essay, "Economy," Thoreau comments that most men are slaves to their work and enslaved to those for whom they work. He concludes: "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation...."

Link

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
it's cool that he was still doing that shit at age 40.  By that age, too many men are burnt out and resigned to spending a life at the office and in their living room.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Gravity always wins
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His wife married him knowing what his dreams were.  I'm sure she understands a lot better than any of us could.  

Well then she's just as selfish as he was. I bet the three year old little girl was unable to "know what his dreams were" when they brought her into this world.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit. Talk about a selfish adrenaline junkie.

do you have kids?  If the dragster you posted in the "how fast have you gone" thread, would you say it's comparable to this situation?  Would you say the same thing about John Lingenfelter?  He made a living doing something he loved and died doing that thing, while taking a risk he didn't need to take.  I'm just as sure his family doesn't regret the way he lived his life as I am that Shane McConkey's family doesn't regret the way he did.

Not busting your balls, but trying to give an example you can relate with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Shane has done so much for all skiers. His loss makes mankind less, but he has left behind a legacy of greatness. He helped start the extreme skiing revolution, lead the fight to accept fat skis, created the entire rocker revolution, created and lead the Ski BASE movement. All of the fruits of these endeavors are in our sport today.

I met him once and had enough time to tell him he was an inspiration to me.

I was literally watching McConkey's base jumping segment MSP's Yearbook (2004 ski movie) when someone called. It was surreal and extremely sad. I was watching my hero on the TV as my friend informed me of his death. I spent the rest of the day watching all the movies I could think of that had him in it until I fell asleep a few times. God, I think the best had to be Pura Vida from 1997 /w a good bit of saucer boy. I need to get a copy of Walls of Freedom.

Tomorrow, I will ski my Volant Spatulas in his honor (the Spatula is a groundbreaking ski designed and developed by McConkey). March 27 should always be Spatula Day for skiers because the day after the tragedy we can all demonstrate one of the many great things he has done that will live on. I have the greatest sympathy for his wife and kid.

Shane with his Powder Awards Life Time Achievement Award in January 2004... he kept on achieving many great things for more than 5 more years!

Volant Spatula - The original reverse camber (full tip & tail rocker), reverse sidecut ski that started the rocker revolution. Dimensions: 115-125-110
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup, douchenozzle move for sure. Plus the particular stunt he was doing sounds like all sorts of fail.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Its guys like this I don't feel sorry for.  Not because they were bad men, but because they died doing something awesome!

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, douchenozzle move for sure. Plus the particular stunt he was doing sounds like all sorts of fail.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

douchenozzle comment for sure. . .
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I would like to be the first to say......Stupid is supposed to hurt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bugger off!!!!
RIP BROTHER
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Same with the "play stupid games..." ETA: that's not to say his profession wasn't cool or outstanding. I'm just surprised the quote hadn't been thrown yet,
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So in other words you wish you had big brass ones like he did???
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn that sucks.  He would grace just about every third page of POWDER magazine back in the day.

I hate it when people like this die.  

It's the safety nazi fucks that I don't give a shit about.  Congrats, you got old by being a boring prick.  Good for you, now you can die the way you lived.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My GF is planning on marrying me... and I run into burning buildings for a living.

If you love someone, you accept who they are.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My GF is planning on marrying me... and I run into burning buildings for a living.

If you love someone, you accept who they are.

According to some, if you love someone, you must live in a bubble and force them to move in with you.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I knew Shane - not well, but knew him.  He was a decent enough guy, and one heck of an athlete.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Stupid is living a safe, sheltered life because you are scared of what might happen and then dying at 50 of cancer.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#36]
He died doing what he loved.  I hope I can do the same.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

He died doing what he loved.  I hope I can do the same.

I hope you don't love lighting yourself on fire while rolling around on a pile of HIV contaminated needles.

That would suck.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I feel sorry for his wife and child.

This.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#39]
“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” -Theodore Roosevelt
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a fuckin crock of shit, tell that guy's little girl all that bullshit when she wants her daddy late at night.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a fuckin crock of shit, tell that guy's little girl all that bullshit when she wants her daddy late at night.

Agreed. You don't have to metaphorically end your life when you have a child, but part of the responsibility is BEING there for your child so doing stupid shit like that is pretty immature.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
it's cool that he was still doing that shit at age 40.  By that age, too many men are burnt out and resigned to spending a life at the office and in their living room.

Bodhi: What's the matter with you guys? This was never about the money, this was about us against the system.
That system that kills the human spirit.
We stand for something.
We are here to show those guys that are inching their way on the freeways in their metal coffins that the human sprit is still alive.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. You don't have to metaphorically end your life when you have a child, but part of the responsibility is BEING there for your child so doing stupid shit like that is pretty immature.

So... every police officer, firefighter, construction worker, logger, commercial fisherman, etc, etc... should quit their jobs when they have a kid?

This guy most likely made a very good living doing what he did... certainly better than I... and I wouldn't quit my job if I became a father.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I clicked thinking this was about a NY Giant from 20 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... every police officer, firefighter, construction worker, logger, commercial fisherman, etc, etc... should quit their jobs when they have a kid?

This guy most likely made a very good living doing what he did... certainly better than I... and I wouldn't quit my job if I became a father.

RIF.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#46]
"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." Marcus Aurelius
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#47]
To all the couch commando cretins who think teh internets is truly living and that the safety of a gun range is the greatest danger a married man should face, well should all of our soldiers retire as soon as they get married? Do not deride a man simply because he had a higher risk acceptance than you (aka his balls are hudger). And don't think for a moment that his wife wasn't in on the decision making.

I rode McConkey skis today!

Shane was a topic of conversation on the chair lifts today. There was great remorse. Nobody derided him. All of us skiers knew our lifestyle had lost a great man.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is one of the very few who did make a good living at it because he was one of the best, most well respect, most innovative, longest players in the game.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

This!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#49]
RIP Shane.  Thanks for all the stoke!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top