Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/1/2005 9:42:37 PM EDT
Go see it twice; three times; grab the Jehovah Witnesses in the morning and convince them that if they fail to pass the message about this great sci-fi to ten other people, they'll burn, burn, burn.

Oh, yeah, go and get the FireFly episodes, too.

Seriously, the gross this weekend and next is going to determine if there is a sequel, or even maybe a revival of the series. Though I seem to remember there are some real rights/legal hurdles to them getting back on the air...

Jayne Rules!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:43:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By prk:
Go see it twice; three times; grab the Jehovah Witnesses in the morning and convince them that if they fail to pass the message about this great sci-fi to ten other people, they'll burn, burn, burn.

Oh, yeah, go and get the FireFly episodes, too.

Seriously, the gross this weekend and next is going to determine if there is a sequel, or even maybe a revival of the series. Though I seem to remember there are some real rights/legal hurdles to them getting back on the air...

Jayne Rules!!

*sings*
Jayne!!!!
The man thay call Jayne!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:49:35 PM EDT
From what I was told the actors (well except for two) signed on for three movies.

The main problem Joss Whedon ran into was that Fox Television not only refused to produce more episodes, but also refused to sell the series to another network. I think with the rabid cult fan base another network woudl have picked it up quickly, i.e. sci-fi network.

Although Fox TV and Fox Searchlight (movie) are separate companies, my guess is that Fox TV got wind that Searchlight was going to do a movie. Instead of selling off the series, they decided to hold on to it to see how the movie did with the possibility of bringing the series back if the movie did well, but holding off in the present because they didn't want to foot the bill for a series they felt was too expensive (my speculation, but when a series is popular the only good reason to pull it is that the advertising doesn't pay enough vs. the cost of series production to make it profitable.)

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if some of the things that happened in the movie were a backhanded way to screw over Fox TV and guarantee that there would not be a continuation of the movie series...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:05:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 12:07:28 AM EDT by prk]

Originally Posted By Dawg180:

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if some of the things that happened in the movie were a backhanded way to screw over Fox TV and guarantee that there would not be a continuation of the movie series...

Which things were you thinking of?
I can't remember that much about the series, but did you get the idea that the movie was a sendoff of some characters (preacher, wash for example) and bringing in some new ones? (Operative was not one I remembered)

PS: Stay away from serenity.com

ETA: In the opening, there seemed to be some characters (numerals, maybe) in the cloud pattern on the planet. Or was that my imagination?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:50:51 PM EDT
OK, I saw it twice, now. Am I wrong about the beginning?
Top Top