Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2001 10:31:21 PM EDT
So, I get layed off on July 15 with a pregnant wife to support. Today my wife gets layed off from the Palo Alto Fire Dept. along with 12 firemen and fire inspectors. And to top it off my 76 year-old father falls down and breaks his spine. Lucky for him they fixed it by injecting some kind of epoxy-like substance in there and now he can walk, but is in great pain as the muscles heal.

Now I find out the COBRA will run close to $800 a month to cover myself, the wife, and the baby in November.

I've had it with this crap. It sucks to be me!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it sounds like it does suck to be you!

Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, it sucks to be me.

But I could be 4'11", 300 lbs., and not getting laid. I guess I shouldn't complain.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Today my wife gets layed off from the Palo Alto Fire Dept. along with 12 firemen and fire inspectors.
View Quote

What the Hell? How does a City with their tax base lay off that many essential employees?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]
working in different hospitals for the last 20 years, everyone has said patients code in threes also.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
HANGFIRE, I heard they have a $100 million infrastructure plan in the works but are short $22 million. My wife said they went on a hiring spree this year, just to lay them all off this week. Fire season is in full force now, so the logic in their decision eludes me. I assume they're doing their best to make up for the $22 million shortfall. At the same time I heard they want to build homes for the homeless. I guess my pregnant wife doesn't meet their criteria, even though she was on the payroll, not in line for a free home.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Best of luck!
Joyce
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hang in there. Things will get better. Most of us have been down at one time or another. Don't let life kick your ass. Do what ever you have to do to keep your self respect and support your family. Don't go around feeling like a loser or like you've got bad luck. I believe we make our own luck and if you feel like a loser then you'll be a loser. The worm will turn for you soon, your due.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I almost feel your pain. In May I was layed off, my mustang needed a new tranny and intake manifold, then I received a bill from the IRS for $1000. That was all in a span of three weeks. Yep that was three strikes.

Screw that cobra insurance plan. I was offered the same thing $500+ for my wife and I, but my wife has insurance through her job and no one is pregnant.

I wish you the best of luck and I'll keep you in my prayers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks a lot guys. This kind of stuff sure puts a damper on my gun buying plans. Hopefully I won't have to sell any!
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Try to keep your spirits up for the spouse and the little one comming. Just remember there is always someone with worse problems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just remember there is always someone with worse problems.
View Quote

Yeah..............take me for example.

This morning, after I got up.......my penis fell right off!

That bites!

Not making light of ya there mattja.

Thought that might make you laugh.

Hang in there man.  There is always an upswing around the corner.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
X--Kill, no problem if you can put it back on like that guy in the "Detachable Penis" song. he he
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top