Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 1:29:16 AM EST

Sexist 'Men at Work' signs must be repainted

All “Men at Work” road signs in a US city are to be repainted, after complaints they that discriminate against female construction staff.

By Matthew Moore
Last Updated: 11:03AM BST 22 Jul 2008

Authorities in Atlanta, Georgia agreed to alter the signs following a campaign by the editor of a local women’s magazine, who claimed they were sexist.

More than 50 "Men At Work" or "Men Working” warnings will be repainted to say “Workers Ahead” or just “Workers” at a cost of £11 ($22) per sign.

The city will also ensure that all future signs it buys are gender neutral. The total cost of the alterations will exceed $1,000.

"It seemed like the right thing to do," said Joe Basista, the Atlanta Public Works commissioner.

More than half the department’s employees are women, and some had complained about the signs in the past, according to union officials.

Cynthia Good, editor of PINK magazine, which is aimed at professional women, said she now hoped to convince other cities to remove bias from their road signs.

“We're calling on the rest of the nation to follow suit and make a statement that we will not accept these subtle forms of discrimination," she said.

Mrs Good started her campaign after police investigated an allegation that she spray-painted the letters “wo” at the beginning of one of the offending signs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2444209/Sexist-%27Men-at-Work%27-signs-must-be-repainted.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:38:39 AM EST
It must be nice to have such equality that one must resort to bitching about the wording on a construction sign.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:38:58 AM EST
Feminazis
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:40:30 AM EST
Hotlanta, the new Berkeley

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:45:24 AM EST
For fuck's sake
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:46:57 AM EST
never should have let women vote
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:46:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:49:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I would have no idea what a sign that said "Workers" was supposed to mean

It's too much to have it read, "Construction Ahead" I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:49:07 AM EST
This is stupid, have you seen the female construction workers here in Atlanta? They look more like men than their co-workers!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:51:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:52:19 AM EST
Fuckin' dykes!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:59:36 AM EST
First bar: "Who gives a shit."
Second bar: "America is at stake."
Third bar: "Elvis is back."

|-----------------------------|------------------------------|
^
Whiny bitch is here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:09:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 2:12:43 AM EST by J_Smith]
You usually see those signs at union jobs - they weren't really truthful to start with.......
What's the new sign? "Persons at Work"... "Homosapiens engaged in physical exertion"....

"Workers" or "Workers Ahead" discriminates against lazy %$%$#%#
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:11:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By J_Smith:
You usually see those signs at union jobs - they weren't really truthful to start with.......

What's the new sign? "Persons at Work"... "Homosapiens engaged in physical exertion"....

Homos at work.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:18:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:

“We're calling on the rest of the nation to follow suit and make a statement that we will not accept these subtle forms of discrimination," she said.

Mrs Good started her campaign after police investigated an allegation that she spray-painted the letters “wo” at the beginning of one of the offending signs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2444209/Sexist-%27Men-at-Work%27-signs-must-be-repainted.html

Are you kidding me??? You have a job...you're not being discriminated against!
It's women like this who give the rest of us a bad name.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:40:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

Are you out of the kitchen again?

Oh shit, I'm kidding. I'm kidding. Don't beat me......
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:41:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By gopeterson:
i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa142/mr__chips/menatwork.gif

LOL!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:58:24 AM EST

I'm heading to my weight room, actually.
I'm going to go beat myself.
Wait...that came out wrong...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:05:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 3:06:58 AM EST by phatmax]

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I would have no idea what a sign that said "Workers" was supposed to mean

Commies!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:09:20 AM EST
Sexist? That's nothing.

One day at Balboa Park in San Diego, I saw a sign that said "Slope Planting".

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:13:20 AM EST

I'm heading to my weight room, actually.
I'm going to go beat myself.
Wait...that came out wrong...

For the fear of a heavily armed Linda Hamilton lookalike coming down to GA to hunt my ass, I'll keep my mouth shut at the last bit.

Atlanta is pulling GA down like crazy. We have people screaming, "equality, equality, equality!!!!!", but if you're a hetero white male, keep your mouth shut, because anything you say will instantly touted as being racist.

Of course there's also the new CHL issue, where our beloved mayor and airport manager threatened to arrest the person who wrote the bill and got it passed through the state legislature that legalized CHL carriers can carry in the airport up to the security area.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:16:40 AM EST

Sexist 'Men at Work' signs must be repainted

All “Men at Work” road signs in a US city are to be repainted, after complaints they that discriminate against female construction staff.

By Matthew Moore
Last Updated: 11:03AM BST 22 Jul 2008

Authorities in Atlanta, Georgia agreed to alter the signs following a campaign by the editor of a local women’s magazine, who claimed they were sexist.

More than 50 "Men At Work" or "Men Working” warnings will be repainted to say “Workers Ahead” or just “Workers” at a cost of £11 ($22) per sign.

The city will also ensure that all future signs it buys are gender neutral. The total cost of the alterations will exceed $1,000.

"It seemed like the right thing to do," said Joe Basista, the Atlanta Public Works commissioner.

More than half the department’s employees are women, and some had complained about the signs in the past, according to union officials.

Cynthia Good, editor of PINK magazine, which is aimed at professional women, said she now hoped to convince other cities to remove bias from their road signs.

I wonder how many staff members at PINK magazine are male.............things that make you go hhmmmmm......
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:22:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jasba:

I wonder how many staff members at PINK magazine are male.............things that make you go hhmmmmm......

I see one or two castrated males amongst the man-chicks

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:22:29 AM EST
Gee, if I saw a sign that said women workers, I would stop and ask how much, 10 or 20. A sign saying workers ahead just makes me want to stop and ask where, i just see omeone holding a sing with their hand up their ass.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:32:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 3:35:05 AM EST by VLODPG]

Originally Posted By Orbital-Burn:
never should have let women vote

+1

Every one in that picture is a liberal dem scumbag!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:43:12 AM EST
Since when do women toil in the sun with shovels by the side of the road?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:48:35 AM EST
Here at work the janitorial crew has taped paper over their yellow markers that reads "Women Working".
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:52:46 AM EST

www.pinkmagazine.com/resources/images/staff/pink%20staff.jpg

they should be *forced* to shitcan 1/2 of the females and replace them with males. we should not have to tolerate such overt displays of sexism!

stupid bitches.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:57:59 AM EST
This is getting to be a bit on the looney side.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:58:21 AM EST

They're both gay.

I have pretty decent gaydar and the guy on our right is as queer as a 3 dollar bill.

I'm 75% sure on the other guy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:04:26 AM EST

I've never actually seen a woman working construction. I call this a "clue".
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:20:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bob1984:

I've seen a few. Most didn't look like the kind of folk that worry too much about a men working sign.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:22:57 AM EST

Pink Staff:

Female in a road crew:

The pink staff seriously needs some good pipe laying.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:30:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By phatmax:

Pink Staff:

Female in a road crew:

www.ci.champaign.il.us/departments/wp-content/uploads/wars/war20060608/curtis02.jpg

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:35:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By phatmax:

Pink Staff:

This picture is a good illustration of the difference between wants and needs. A dozen dykes need a good pipe laying. The 2 fruitloopers want what the dykes need.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:37:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By jrkarp:

They're both gay.

I have pretty decent gaydar and the guy on our right is as queer as a 3 dollar bill.

I'm 75% sure on the other guy.

Look at his beard, he looks like "colonel" Sanders... Gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...
Top Top