Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 3:52:33 AM EDT
I just read a post where the very first responder quoted the entire article.

Why do people quote the entire text of a posted article when it's obvious what they are refering to?

Should I care?

I know it's a DUPE but all this "Hive Mind" stuff.

I think it's ghey, do you?

Should I care?

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Why do people quote the entire text of a posted article when it's obvious what they are refering to?

Should I care?

Should I care?

Bomber

Forum etiquette?

WTF  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should I care?

Should I care?

Bomber

Forum etiquette?

WTF  

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes it bothers the hell out of me, but like everyone else here, I've been known to do it as well. It doesn't piss me off nearly as much as people posting in the EE without their states in the title.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:00:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Improper use of the quote function is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Especially in a long thread when someone just keeps quoting post after post and the quote tree becomes so large you have no idea who is saying what.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Improper use of the quote function is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Especially in a long thread when someone just keeps quoting post after post and the quote tree becomes so large you have no idea who is saying what.
I hate it when people reply within the post that they're quoting.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that too.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried asking this already...

Here is what the brains have added
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
<Andy Rooney mode> You ever notice that people will just quote someone's reply then not add anything to it?  It's not like I didn't just get done reading it. </Andy Rooney mode>
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Why say 'ghey'?  Why not just say 'gay', if that's what you really mean.  

And what's the 'teh' mean?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:48:18 AM EDT
[#10]
It's usually a good indication of massive dumbass.

IE---three feet of news article and quotedork says something like "You go girl" or "+1" or "IBTL"...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:30:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If refering to my post you missed the sarcasm. It's the whole point. Saying Hive Mind is a lot of GAY SHIT IMHO.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Damn unedumahkated newbies.

your post is Teh ghey and teh suck
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If refering to my post you missed the sarcasm. It's the whole point. Saying Hive Mind is a lot of GAY SHIT IMHO.

Bomber

If Hivemind is gay, then so is "teh" and "ghey". I think you missed his sarcasm.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't even get me started on the quote button.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Don't forget "kewl" and "prolly". Some members here spell like they are a 5th grade girl writing a note to their girlfriend.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I had no idea we had etiquete here. Then just the other day a mod edited my post because I called someone a 'nitwit'
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Well for the most part I think everyone needs to remember to lighten up.  Life isn't so dramatic that a few silly spelt words, or quote trees should upset you.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Saying Hive Mind is a lot of GAY SHIT IMHO.

Bomber

As I rule, I don't contribute to anything thread with the words "Hive Mind" in the subject line.

Also, I believe that spelling gay "G-H-E-Y" is done for the same reason as spelling airsoft "a-i-r-5-o-f-t", it throws off search engines.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#19]
At least with "Hive Mind" we are implying that we have a mind. Honestly, I don't mind the use of the term, I have used it once or twice.  I think the connotation is incorrect however because it implies being of "one" thought.  That definitely is not the case here at ARFCOM.

ETA:  I agree with Patty 110% that many people take this stuff, as well as themselves, way too seriously.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Often, the book is judged by the cover.

Dig, baby, Dig

Be as hateful as you want . . . nobody cares.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I tried asking this already...

Here is what the brains have added

Thanks for the LOL!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should I care?

Should I care?

Bomber

Forum etiquette?

WTF  

Yes.

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#24]
My peeve is when somebody makes about 10 posts in a row, all quoting different people. I don't know why, it just kind of pisses me off that nobody can figure out how to quote multiple people in a single post.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My peeve is when somebody makes about 10 posts in a row, all quoting different people. I don't know why, it just kind of pisses me off that nobody can figure out how to quote multiple people in a single post.

I have been guilty of this.  

It can get quite confusing with a multitude of quotes in one post.  

I have since searched the "Hive Mind" issue and I honestly never knew that it affected so many people so negatively.  To me, when I used it, it was meant more as a term of endearment kind of thing than anything insulting or derogatory.  I will refrain from its usage, not because of others opinions on it, but because it apparently keeps people from posting replies.

I still think the answer to the problem can be found in pattymcn's post above.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

If Hivemind is gay, then so is "teh" and "ghey". I think you missed his sarcasm.

Probably so. I posted it like that because I think "hive mind" is gay and I was putting it into "gay" parlence by refering to it as "ghey".......

I also agree with pattymcn....It's not upsetting to me in the least. I kind of find it amusing on one hand. I do however think "hive mind" is gay and I don't contribute to those posts due to my homophobia .

Bomber

edited to correct a faux pax
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.

Save the trees!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.

Save the trees!

That's what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Forum etiquette?

99% of people on the www act like asswipes because they know they are anonymous.  Including this website.  But if you can't take some idiot ranting and raving about something you said, you should just stay of the internet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't you hate it when someone responds in your thread but doesn't even address your issue, but instead takes a tangent and responds to someone else, like this?

Quoted:
Yes it bothers the hell out of me, but like everyone else here, I've been known to do it as well. It doesn't piss me off nearly as much as people posting in the EE without their states in the title.

[starthijack]
You know, you can search the EE by state...

Here's yours:

www.ar15.com/forums/searchByState.html?b=0&state=FL

(It's also the very first thread in the Florida Hometown Forum, for future reference)

[/endhijack]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I also agree with pattyman....It's not upsetting to me in the least. I kind of find it amusing on one hand. I do however think "hive mind" is gay and I don't contribute to those posts due to my homophobia .

Bomber

pattyman.... ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also agree with pattyman....It's not upsetting to me in the least. I kind of find it amusing on one hand. I do however think "hive mind" is gay and I don't contribute to those posts due to my homophobia .

Bomber

pattyman.... ?

My humble apologies Patty.....I need to stop talking on the phone and typing at the same time. I guess proof reading is another option .

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.

Save the trees!

That's what I'm saying.

Paperwork Reduction Act 1995
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.

Save the trees!

That's what I'm saying.

For the children.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Improper use of the quote function is one of my biggest pet peeves. What about midgets and poor people?  Especially in a long thread when someone just keeps quoting post after post and the quote tree becomes so large you have no idea who is saying what.

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.

Save the trees!

That's what I'm saying.

Where is the quote button?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Improper use of the quote function is one of my biggest pet peeves. What about midgets and poor people?  Especially in a long thread when someone just keeps quoting post after post and the quote tree becomes so large you have no idea who is saying what.

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.

Save the trees!

That's what I'm saying.

Ditto...!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Chicken pot pie burns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, and what is so awful about trees?

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.

Save the trees!

That's what I'm saying.

Ditto...!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Why all the hate for the quote button? It keeps things straight IMHO.

You could either type the guy's name, bold it, then give a short synopsis (first few words of the sentence you're referencing) and then start your own post... Or just hit "quote" and be done with it.

If it's the first post, it's a little silly (redundant) but basically, I don't care. Why would it bug you? If you start cracking down on this you'll just lose people. I would find it less tolerant and would be less likely to come back regularly... It would also deprive me and others the opportunity to jokingly chide the person for doing it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

pattyman.... ?

My humble apologies Patty.....I need to stop talking on the phone and typing at the same time. I guess proof reading is another option .

Bomber

Patty
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Actually it doesn't bother me but I find it silly if some one is posting a news article and they post a link and the actual text of the article and then the very next person (first respondant) quotes the whole article and throws in their 2 cents. It's obvious what they are refering to.

I know I said this before and I hate to be redundant, to repeat myself to say the same thing over and over but I don't see the need although it doesn't bother me

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that too.  

Awful, just awful.

Save the trees!

That's what I'm saying.

Ditto...!

Does this post make me look fat?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Lazy I suppose that's as bad as the ...

plp who kant spel & u wat to kil dem caus they're ghramer iz az bad az there spelin.

yep i agree. the only thing that bothers me more is those that post extemely long sentences without using any form of punctuation they run on and on from one thought to the next and it begins to inflict this pain that grows between your eyes because you can't quite follow exactly what they are talking about and after you do figure it out after 15 minutes of super sleuth deciphering you realize they didn't have anything to add anyway.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I like beer and cream cheese.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top