Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2002 7:34:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2002 7:34:39 PM EDT by Aviator]
Any legal types out there know the steps needed, or anyone know a good site to check out? I need to set one up in Oregon. Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img] Edited to add the group will be this one [url]www.dredgeearthfirst.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:12:46 PM EDT
getting drunk but I'll get this out prior to bed. setting up a state non-profit is usually quite easy. shouldn't cost more than 1k in michigan, shouldn't be much more in your state. if it is look for lawyer number 2 to play them off. getting a 501 (c)(x) for tax free status? Hard as hell and expensive. We recommend a third way to handle donations to everyone but groups that KNOW they will be handling the big bucks right off the bat (minority funnel groups mostly) For everyone else, set up the group with the state, and find a local UW or community chest or something that's 501(c)(x), and play them off aginst each other to get the handling fee under 10%, and have them taking in and deal out the cash (with your board being their 'fund panel') and have the money going to your group's activites. The only hard part is getting the donors to add "UWFP" or "CCFP" to their checks. You guys are happy because you didn;t bet 20k in my legal fees that you could get 501ed, and the united way is happy cause they got 10% of your cash to spend on art, wine, and trips to new york, and I'm happy cause you will send your business to me cause i'm smart and in 10 years when your group gets big I can collect the 20k to try for a 501 anyway half the time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2002 8:18:07 PM EDT
good info, thanks! Aviator [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Top Top