Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 7:45:17 PM EST
So my son(15 years old) wants to know what movie we're going to see this weekend.
Here are my choices:

Battlefield Los Angeles - Saw it last week. Not too shabby.
Just go with it - Chick flick.No thanks.
Take me home tonight - Again, no thanks.
Hall Pass - Another low-brow, toilet-humor movie with 2 idiots acting like idiots.
The adjustment bureau - A rehashed Twilight Zone episode with a romantic twist stretched out for 99 minutes.
Beastly - Edgy teen romance. I stopped reading after that.
Gnomeo and Juliet - He wouldn't have been interested in this crap even if he was 5.
Mars needs Moms -
Rango - Looks kind of funny, but again, he's a little old.
Unknown - May have potential, but I feel like the whole "He's not me, I'm me!" plot has been done before.
I am number 4 - Probably the only one here worth considering.
Drive Angry - Nick Cage driving cars and bangin' chicks. Hmmm....that's not happening.
Red riding Hood - Is it going to be an artsy-fartsy stinker? Please chime in if you've seen it.

13 movies and only 2...maybe 3 seem remotely watchable. Does anyone else consider this list to be 80% garbage?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:47:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:48:14 PM EST
If True Grit is still in theaters he might enjoy that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:49:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 7:52:13 PM EST by www-glock19-com]
yep

LA great

Rango was quite amusing
really not a kids movie has a pretty long stretch of surreal desert wandering with the normal Johnny Depp lunatic rambling
but it was back up with tremendous amounts of gunplay

rest crap
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:51:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mclovin5-0:
If True Grit is still in theaters he might enjoy that.

Yes, he loved it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:51:46 PM EST
Gnomeo and Juliet was awesome. I took a girl to see it last weekend, and we were both in stitches.

Rango seems remotely interesting. It seems like lately there's only one or two movies worth seeing lately.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:55:04 PM EST
My kid (14) liked "I am Number 4".
Taking him to see Battlefield LA this weekend (only one f-bomb that I know of and it is a two hour acog ad )
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:55:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 7:57:55 PM EST by Tekka]
Get a copy of Manos The Hands of Fate and sit down together for an interesting night of movie magic.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:55:48 PM EST
It's time to watch BHD again, this time, in Spanish, just to keep thing's fresh.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:07:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By geezhound:

Red riding Hood - Is it going to be an artsy-fartsy stinker?

You must watch a lot of NASCAR.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:07:56 PM EST
has anyone seen adjustment bureau?

I thought it looked more like a dark city type movie than a twilight zone but that's just me. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't emily blunt in it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:08:19 PM EST
Suckerpunch?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:11:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By Beltfedleadhead:

You must watch a lot of Nicholas Sparks films. Sorry if I offended you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:13:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 8:14:06 PM EST by wingnutx]

Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
Suckerpunch?

Fuck yeah.

Sucker Punch.

Doesn't open for 9 days, though.

Meantime, rent The Road Warrior and get a pizza.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:17:45 PM EST
The wife and I see 60+ movies a year in the theater. (It's our thing, we've been doing it since we were dating.) Good movies, bad movies, whatever, we see lots. We liked Battle: Los Angeles. Here's my comment on it so you can gauge where I'm coming from in regards to movies. Battle: LA was not a good movie, but it was loads of fun.

So my son(15 years old) wants to know what movie we're going to see this weekend.
Here are my choices:

Battlefield Los Angeles - Saw it last week. Not too shabby.
Just go with it - Chick flick.No thanks.Haven't seen it, probably will put it in the Netflix queue.
Take me home tonight - Again, no thanks. Mildly amusing. As a child of the '80s I was hoping for more.
Hall Pass - Another low-brow, toilet-humor movie with 2 idiots acting like idiots. Kind of like The Hangover, but not nearly as good. It did have its moments.
The adjustment bureau - A rehashed Twilight Zone episode with a romantic twist stretched out for 99 minutes. I liked it a lot. Interesting concept.
Beastly - Edgy teen romance. I stopped reading after that. Haven't seen it. Probably won't.
Gnomeo and Juliet - He wouldn't have been interested in this crap even if he was 5. Hilarious. The more acquainted you are with the works of Shakespeare the funnier it is.
Mars needs Moms - Haven't seen it, probably won't. It's getting terrible reviews.
Rango - Looks kind of funny, but again, he's a little old. Great movie. Just because it is animated doesn't mean it's for kids. I personally wouldn't recommend this for kids under 12.
Unknown - May have potential, but I feel like the whole "He's not me, I'm me!" plot has been done before. Pretty good actually. Kept my attention to the end.
I am number 4 - Probably the only one here worth considering. Terrible movie. "Heroes Journey" plot done poorly. Predictable every step of the way, poor acting.
Drive Angry - Nick Cage driving cars and bangin' chicks. Hmmm....that's not happening. This one's going into the Netflix queue. It looks like a terrible B movie. If it's bad enough it ought to be fun.
Red riding Hood - Is it going to be an artsy-fartsy stinker? Please chime in if you've seen it. Haven't seen it. It's getting terrible reviews, might wind up in the Netflix queue. Amanda Seyfried looks weird to me so...

13 movies and only 2...maybe 3 seem remotely watchable. Does anyone else consider this list to be 80% garbage?

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:20:08 PM EST
Unknown - May have potential, but I feel like the whole "He's not me, I'm me!" plot has been done before.

I had the same attitude but the movie had a very twisty plot. VERY worth watching.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:59:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
Suckerpunch?

Fuck yeah.

Sucker Punch.

Doesn't open for 9 days, though.

Meantime, rent The Road Warrior and get a pizza.

Oh, Hellz yes!

I'll bring the beer!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:05:38 AM EST

Red Riding Hood is already done to perfection:
Christina Ricci <3
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:07:55 AM EST

You must watch a lot of Nicholas Sparks films. Sorry if I offended you.

Snap!

I raffed....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:09:46 AM EST
I am in my 40's and really want to see Rango. Most of these modern animated movies are friggin hilarious. I also have Battle Los Angeles on my list of movies to see. Other than those two I have to agree with the OP, there is a lot of CRAP out there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:13:16 AM EST
Doesn't Limitless open this weekend? That could be kind of fun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:21:52 AM EST
Last time in the theater for me, was for Avatar, I think.

Its been basically Redbox or Netflix since.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:49:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2011 2:49:34 AM EST by ihatespngbob]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
Last time in the theater for me, was for Avatar, I think.

Its been basically Redbox or Netflix since.

Same here, last movie we saw in the theater was Avatar.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:53:31 AM EST
Rango is funny but it really drags at the end. Could've easily been 10 minutes shorter.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:55:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
yep

LA great

Rango was quite amusing
really not a kids movie has a pretty long stretch of surreal desert wandering with the normal Johnny Depp lunatic rambling
but it was back up with tremendous amounts of gunplay

rest crap

I also heard that Rango is not really a little kid movie.

OP it is probably your best choice
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:58:13 AM EST
clearly, you need to spend more time watching the syfy channel. then, in a week or so, a list like that will seem like the oscars.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:06:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tekka:
Get a copy of Manos The Hands of Fate and sit down together for an interesting night of movie magic.

This. Fire up the Netflix queue, hit this thread and go back to the classics. Catch an old kung fu flick (some of the newer ones are pretty good, I just saw Ip Man and it was AWESOME!), The Matrix, Fifth Element, Idiocracy The Green Berets, etc.

If you're going to go with good, bad sci fi, we just watched Robot Monster (1953). Definitely a howler. They filmed it in 4 days, cost $16K to make, made over a million. The most sophisticated props are a guy in a gorilla suit and a bubble machine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:16:30 AM EST
rango and i am number 4 were both absolutely terrible.

Not worth the bandwidth of torrenting, let alone the price of admission.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:19:10 AM EST
Go see The Unknown. I hear it's pretty good...I intend to see it this weekend myself.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:20:37 AM EST

Hall Pass - Another low-brow, toilet-humor movie with 2 idiots acting like idiots.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:28:11 AM EST
What about Paul? It looks to be funny.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:37:16 AM EST
Look for the trailers of these movies online. I stopped nixing movies based on "critics" long ago. Red Riding Hood looks like a decent thriller flick
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:41:27 AM EST
If you're looking for mindless action movies, those tend to be summer fare.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:22:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By dport:
What about Paul? It looks to be funny.

This is probably the next movie I will pay money to see.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:04:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By pagansmurfen:

Red Riding Hood is already done to perfection:
Christina Ricci <3

There was an awesome adaptation of Red Riding hood called "Freeway" with Reese Witherspoon and Keefer Sutherland.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:07:26 AM EST
The movie review guy from The Escapist said that Red Riding Hood was a fun flick. He said it's campy and delightful.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:08:55 AM EST
rango was pretty good. definitely not for younger kids.

-Foxxz
Top Top