Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 9/30/2011 4:31:52 AM EST
Why do they often change their names or have multiple names? What is the meaning behind it?

For example, the guy that took over for Osama Bin Laden, Saif al-Adel, is also known as Muhamad Ibrahim Makkawi.

Do they just pick their new or other name? Does someone else name them that? What's the point? How does everyone find out that they have a new name?

Does anyone know?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:34:00 AM EST
Special Weapons
Bobcat Arms
Coharie Arms

There's a trend in there somewhere ....
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:39:33 AM EST
It's their "Nom de Guerre."

Ilich Ramirez Sanchez took the "war name" of Carlos The Jackal.

Saif al-Adel translates to "Sword of Justice." Muhammad Ibrahim Makkawi is just his regular, old given name.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:40:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2011 4:40:52 AM EST by Bradders]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:40:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ponyboy:
Why do they often change their names or have multiple names? What is the meaning behind it?

For example, the guy that took over for Osama Bin Laden, Saif al-Adel, is also known as Muhamad Ibrahim Makkawi.

Do they just pick their new or other name? Does someone else name them that? What's the point? How does everyone find out that they have a new name?

Does anyone know?

Usually, its a switch to a nom de guerre from "Mike Ponyboy" to "Mike the American" or something else with other religious significance. For example "al-Libi" means, "the Libyan" IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:44:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By Screechjet1:
Usually, its a switch to a nom de guerre from "Mike Ponyboy" to "Mike the American" or something else with other religious significance. For example "al-Libi" means, "the Libyan" IIRC.
Hah. now I am trying to imagine what an Islamic extremist version of GD would be like.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:52:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By Cromlech:

Hah. now I am trying to imagine what an Islamic extremist version of GD would be like.

I'm sure there is a 99 page thread somewhere with guys arguing which is better to detonate IED's, and iPhone or a Droid.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:55:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Ponyboy:
Originally Posted By Cromlech:

I'm sure there is a 99 page thread somewhere with guys arguing which is better to detonate IED's, and iPhone or a Droid.

I think they all should use Nokia phones

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:57:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By E-Mag:

I think they all should use Nokia phones

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/one_missed_call.jpg

That is an awesome picture!

Top Top