Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 7:53:59 PM EDT
I'm disabled and on social security , hopefully this is going to be temmpory . I also suffer from depression . My sister has said that constitutes a mental defect , and prevents me from legally owning firearms . ( yellow form) Please let me know if I am in trouble on this issue. Thank you all for any advice , and for keeping me entertained .
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant give you any legal advice but some of us locally are meeting saturday in waynesville to shoot. You can shoot our guns[;)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My sister has said that constitutes a mental defect , and prevents me from legally owning firearms . ( yellow form)
View Quote

I don't believe this is the case.  IIRC, you have to be declared mentally incompetent.  get help for the depression, man, the added stress it creates won't help you.  And enjoy shooting at the range!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Was the depression around before you were disabled?

Was your depression diagnosed as cronic?

Every human at one time or another will have a depression bout.  Have someone call you local sheriff's dept and ask for clarification on the depression issue.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone that says they aren't depressed once in a while is lying.

It's normal, don't worry about it.

But do be honest with yourself, have you ever felt the desire to hurt yourself or someone else?  Do you feel those feelings are controllable or do you feel you would act if you owned a gun?  That is the big question and you are the only one that can answer it.

Nobody knows what is ticking up there except you,  not your sister, not us, not even a shrink,  only you.  

So what do you think?  The question on the yellow form only applies if you were legally insane.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Your sister is FOS.  Legally, if you have not been INVOLUNTARILY committed to a mental health facility, you are not barred from owning firearms.  BTDT on the disability and SS.  Do you have any long-term pain issues?   Email or IM, I have been thru it and maybe dan help you bypass some of the bullshit.  Ops
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys . I have always seen good info spread around this sight . It's good to know you guys are here to help . maxx68
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Is the disabilty a physical one ?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 The question on the yellow form only applies if you were legally insane.
View Quote

Ding ding. Winnah.

Legally, one of two things will have had to occur.

As stated before, either an involuntary commitment to an institution or being legally adjudicated (being declared mentally unfit) by a judge.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
..... My sister has said that constitutes a mental defect , and prevents me from legally owning firearms.
View Quote

First:

This is why I keep my sisters out of my business.

Second:  

This is why I do not take advice from my sisters.

Third:

Tell her a gift of a gun would help cheer you up!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Siennfein, thanks for the offer . IM me with directions and a time , and I'll try to make it. maxx68
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top