PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/29/2006 10:06:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2006 10:07:09 AM EDT by SteyrAUG]
Pretty much everyone knows about the obvious ones.

Charlton Heston has a gunsafe full of goodies, John Milius is a well known gun guy. Angelina Jolie owns a pair of HK USP Experts after she fell in love with them on the set of Tomb Raider. And even Madonna has some expsnesive Purdy shotguns.

But only the rare example of celebrities like Ted Nugent own things like HK MP5s.

Now there are probably more than a few who have some serious stuff but prefer to fly under the radar and continue to work in Hollywood or the recording industry.

And then there are those you'd never imagine were serious gun owners/collectors. And when you find out they are you doubt it because it sounds as absurd as that "Mr. Rogers was a Vietnam sniper" story that goes around the internet every so often.

And it is to that later type of (Really?!?) collector that I dedicate this post.

1. Sir Mixalot - Yes, the rapper that many here have never heard of. His most popular release was "Baby Got Back" in 1992. But I knew who he was all the way back in 1986 when he had singles like "Let's G" and "I'm A Trip." And when the Seattle based rapper came out with "Posse On Broadway" he did a interview for a cable channel rap video show. And among other things he showed parts of his gun collection.

Only compared to most rappers "collection of gat's" his was very different. Rather than the gold plated Deagles and AKs and a Mossberg here and there, he had a rather large and organized collection in his gun safes. HK91s, AR15s and AUGs were the norm. He also differed from most rappers in that he never rapped about using guns for crime, but took the unusual POV of rapping about using guns to defend himself from criminals.

He was different from most gun owning celebrities in that he was also something of a firearms activist. Some of his early lyrics promoted themes such as "If you try and take guns from criminals, eventually only criminals will have them." He was also serious about his ideas of self defense in that he is one of the few gun owning celebrities to stockpile large quantities of ammo. He even makes referrence to this in the single "Hip Hop Soldier" with the lyrics "I'm an ammo collector, not a dumb gun buyer" which is a dig at others who have guns but only limited quantities of ammo for them.

When showing his home to the interviewer observant viewers noticed multiple pallets of what was clearly ammo in his garage beside his many collectible cars. Mixalot was an unconventional rapper in most respects. He took flack from his peers for immediately moving into the safer suburbs of Seattle and buying the big house and cars, selling out. This was at a time when rappers like Ice Cube were staying "true to the ghetto." Mixalot countered that his "escaping the ghetto" and making something of himself while coming from nothing was the "dream" Martin Luther King died for and that was the end of that issue.

2. Maurice Gibb - Yes the same one of BeeGees fame. Those who knew Maurice prior to his death in January 12, 2003 were probably aware that he was a huge paintball junkie and lived in Miami as well as in England. More than once when being interviewed on the topic of paintball reporters were treated to his "paintball room" in his home which was a arsenal of paintball guns and gear. For many players it was the "Holy Grail" kind of collection they aspired to have one day.

And it is through paintball that I became aware of Maurice Gibb. A buddy of mine owns and operates one of the larger paintball businesses in Broward County, which in 2002 included many scneario paintball fields. Maurice soon heard stories of these Broward country playing fields and contact my buddy to make arrangements to reserve them for himself and his fellow players.

And it was when my buddy visited Maurice in 2002 that he became of Mr. Gibbs "other room" in his home devoted to another kind of collection. Handguns were mostly all that was on display, with Mr. Gibb having a fondness for HKs and SIGs, but it seems he had more than a few rifles as well. Mr. Gibb wasn't as open about his complete collection but in talking guns with my buddy it seems he may have owned an NFA item or two. Sadly he got sick later that year and never did make it up to play a few rounds of paintball. At the time we had a paintball course that was set up right next door to a gun range and we were gonna prepare quite the reception for him.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:10:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2006 10:16:06 AM EDT by HardShell]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:13:09 AM EDT
Gauge
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:15:44 AM EDT
I saw Hank Jr. at a gunshow in Nashville about 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:16:22 AM EDT
For some reason I have an unusual degree of curiosity as to which well known celebrities post here regularly or semi-regularly.

Steven Tyler seems to get brought up every so often.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:18:56 AM EDT
Interesting.   Though the topic comes up here periodicically, I'd love to know celebrities that post here under an anonymous name.   You never know when you could be insulting Steven Tyler or Drew Carey about their favorite guns.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:19:07 AM EDT
If you listen to MixALots song like Hip-Hop Soldier you'll kinds figure that out. I thought he was Pro-Gun as well now I know for sure-

I dont believe in gun control, the theory is proven, give a criminal a gun and the public is losin'

Swass is a good album...
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:19:51 AM EDT
Mix-a-lot is one of the few rappers I enjoy

:)
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:20:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HardShell:
Hank Williams, Jr. -- Most folks know/assume he is "into" guns, but most don't know about the extent or pedigree of his collection.  ("Impressive" doesn't begin to tell the story.)

There's a decent size portion of Hank Jr's guns on display in glass cases at Woods 'n Water in Tuscaloosa, Al. Impressive is right, tons of pre-64 Winchesters, Belgium Browning A5s, O/U's, Remington Rand 1911, Browning Hi-Power slotted with the original stock, very nice, high quality stuff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:20:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zippy_The_Wonderdog:
For some reason I have an unusual degree of curiosity as to which well known celebrities post here regularly or semi-regularly.

I though he was notoriously Anti-Gun?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:20:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:21:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

2. Maurice Gibb - Yes the same one of BeeGees fame. Those who knew Maurice prior to his death in January 12, 2003 were probably aware that he was a huge paintball junkie and lived in Miami as well as in England. More than once when being interviewed on the topic of paintball reporters were treated to his "paintball room" in his home which was a arsenal of paintball guns and gear. For many players it was the "Holy Grail" kind of collection they aspired to have one day.

I was at the 2000 World Cup in Orlando with my team, and he was there with his team on their bus.  Very cool to have a celebrity that big into paintball.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:24:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NonConformist:

Negatory. He pops into gunshows in PHX from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:32:50 AM EDT
Anthony Kumia of Opie and Anthony is a big gun fanatic.  You wouldn't really think so but then you check out his Myspace and he's got all of his pictures holding his babies.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:35:19 AM EDT
James Brown owned a shotgun and felt he needed to carry it around downtown to find out who used his bathroom.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:35:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Steve_T_M:
Gauge

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:36:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:36:27 AM EDT
The redhead from That 70's show, Laura Prepon is a shooter.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:36:36 AM EDT
"Peter Gibbons" aka "Ron Livingston" and his white tile collection
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:37:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By desertmoon:

Originally Posted By NonConformist:

Negatory. He pops into gunshows in PHX from time to time.

COOL!!!
Guess I can listen/buy their stuff again. They were on my shit list as being anti-gun
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:38:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tannim:
Mix-a-lot is one of the few rappers I enjoy

:)

+1

His 'music' always struck me as being more typical of real life and level headed. In one of his songs he talks about getting rousted by the police. Instead of whipping out and AK he calls in a team of jewish lawyers and sues the shit out of them.

He also has a 'song' about Koreans trying to rip him off at the swap meet and another one about going on a road trip with some friends and getting dissed by chicks in the club.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:40:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2006 10:40:39 AM EDT by ED_P]

Originally Posted By Hamel:
The redhead from That 70's show, Laura Prepon is a shooter.

Found a link to gun loving actresses, including Laura Prepon-

Heres' the quote about her from the site at the bottom-

Stuff US Edition, Issue 9, August 2000, Page 30:

Lately, she’s been spending her free time playing with her newest toy: a Mini-14 semiautomatic rifle. “I love the energy you feel when you shoot,” she says. “Some people get a little freaked out by it, but I am so into guns.”

Maxim US Edition, Issue 37, January 2001, page 81:

[Laura’s secret hobby is] going to the firing range. “It’s fun,” she says, “and I think it’s a good thing to know. But I’m not supposed to talk about guns, because it freaks some people out.”

www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~aaron2/firearms/actresses.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:41:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:43:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:43:20 AM EDT
James Earl Jones.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:43:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By silascobb:
"Peter Gibbons" aka "Ron Livingston" and his white tile collection

ahhh, the infamous white tiles.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:45:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sylvan:
Charlton Heston claimed steven spielberg has the greatest gun collection in southern california.
Ironic, considering he is a gun grabber (guess they are just for the elite)

I always suspected Spielberg would have a comprehensive collection given his lifetime fascination with WWII. Kinda ironic.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:47:16 AM EDT
Shaq.

May be one of the obvious ones, though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:48:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HIPPO:
James Earl Jones.

Does the voice of Darth Vader really need a gun?

A simple "I find your lack of faith distressing" should solve most problems.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:48:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:49:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By USPcompact:
Shaq.

May be one of the obvious ones, though.

Seen him at the Ft. Lauderdale show a couple times.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:49:33 AM EDT
I don't know the extent of his collection, but I saw Forrest Sawyer in a gun show in Tampa back in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:54:17 AM EDT
Kurt Cobain liked his 12 guage..
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:56:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2006 10:57:08 AM EDT by bulldog1967]
I believe Karl Malone has quite the collection.

ETA, and I bet Penn Jillette does too!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:02:25 AM EDT
Don't forget about "The Velvet Fog". Mel was into Colt SAA.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:03:31 AM EDT
James Hetfield from Metallica

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:05:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:08:56 AM EDT
Yeah Hank Jr. has it all.  Reloads everything from 50 BMG down to itty bitty varmit rounds.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:09:10 AM EDT
Depending on their fame, sometimes it's wise to keep it private.  It's the liberal, anti-gun press that also 'makes them famous'.  Write about an actors JOB performance (pun intended), not personal issues.  It can make or break.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:10:08 AM EDT
Mickey Thompson Jr is active in the AZ C3 community. He helps run the matches at the MGShooters Big Sandy shoots. Very nice guy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:15:33 AM EDT
Wesley Snipes has often talked about his love of weapons, I will also throw Howard Stern's name into the mix as he has mentioned it in the past.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:19:39 AM EDT
Jesse Ventura either owns or owned FA weapons and he did an iterview 5-10 years ago where he had the reporter shooting with him.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:22:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HIPPO:
James Earl Jones.

James Earl Ray

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:23:25 AM EDT
We can't forget Tom Selleck He is into old western firearms big time
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:23:55 AM EDT

......even Madonna has some expsnesive Purdy shotguns.

Yeah.......I think I saw her at the range last weekend...........
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:29:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:30:51 AM EDT
Conan O'Brian I believe
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:34:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By treelander:
Yeah Hank Jr. has it all.  Reloads everything from 50 BMG down to itty bitty varmit rounds.  

Judging by his pictures on his website....what's his screen name on here?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:35:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:

Yeah.......I saw him and Madonna at the range shooting "Purdy's"..........
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:35:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2006 11:45:04 AM EDT by sandboxmedic]
Bob Dylan has mentioned keeping a shotgun at home for defending his family in a couple of interviews and his biography.

The members of the Grateful Dead where know to go shooting in the early days; not sure what their opinions were later.  

ETA I recall reading an interview with Sinbad (the comedian) in a shooting sports magazine after he made some western- he got into shootng SASS shooting for a while.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 11:39:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Kurt Cobain liked his 12 guage..

The best thing Kurt Cobain ever relased was the safety.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top