Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 9:59:59 PM EDT
What next? How long of a wait should it be before I hear something?

Do they send a log book? A list of current C&R firearms?

Do I have to 4473 and book any firearms I sell?

The form asked for my SSN..On the CLEO I didn't put it down, but on the BATF form I did. I figure they're the Treasury Dept and if they REALLY want to have my SSN, they have ways of getting it. I figured it might speed up the process, although I'm not keen on giving out my SSN..I also figure if I apply to the BATF, they're gonna put my name through the ringer and I'll just be on one of their "other" lists..

I'm glad the requirements for a C&R FFL aren't as strict as the app for a class III...

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I sent mine in at the end of April, and the check came back cashed, so I am just waiting as of now. I think I might call them tomorrow.

From the way I understand things, you cannot use this FFL to have a business with, as it is a personal collectors license, but you may dispose of your personal purchases to qualified takers.

You do have to log you transactions. But I think that you have to get your own log. I think brownells has them. I gotta get one too.

I didn't put my SSN on either. I think it said it was optional. But like you said, they can get it if they want it.

I can't wait to get mine. '03 Springfield, here I come!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometime within the next week or so, they'll send a couple guys out to verify that you don't have anything non-flammable in your house, that your fire sprinkler system (if you have one) has been permanently disabled, that your pets are large enough to provide adequate COM shots, etc. It's strictly routine, nothing to worry about.

cynic
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to poke around at [url]www.atf.gov[/url] and see what they have to say.  There's quite a bit of info there.

Here's a FAQ from one of ATF's pages regarding C&R licensing:
[url]www.atf.gov/firearms/nlc/ffl/faqs_collect.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw how I phrased my question in my original post. I know it can't be a business. But there might come a time when I don't like a certain gun or didn't like it after I bought it or I need some extra bucks...I don't plan on selling any of my toys..I've been through that through the years and I can say there are quite a few of toys I wish I hadn't sold...

No Springfield '03' for me...I'm eyeballing the Argentinian 1927's (Colt 1911's made in Argentina in 1927) and maybe the CZ's and Garands...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the addiction of Cruffleing. I'll spare you the jokes about maxed out Credit cards and empty bank accounts, but consider yourself forewarned [:)] To answer your questions:

1)The wait for me was about 3-4 weeks.

2) No Log book but they do send you a package with all the relevant laws and regulations in about 4 separate manuals.

3) The CLEO is not required to really do anything other than file your application. If he does know anything about you that might not make it a good idea for the BATFE to give you such a license, this gives him an opportunity to speak up. So not putting your SSN on that aplication probably doesn't mean anything.

For log books etc. you might want to check out the C&R package published by RK Enterprises ([url]http://www.rkffl.com/[/url]) It's about $35.00 and has everything you might need to keep the required records for your collection. There aren't any 4473's involved in a C&R sale but you will want to keep a pretty accurate ID on people you might sell to just to CYA.

You might already know this but I'll repeat it anyway. Whatever you do, [b]DON'T[/b] sign the original license, keep it as a "master" and make as many photocopies of it as you need. Then sign the copies in blue ink. The dealers you send your C&R too need an original signature on the license for it to be valid to them. The blue ink just makes seeing that all the easier.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
ok guys, I have never even thought baout getting a C&R license. But this kinda interests me. Give me the run down on it. Im in CA, so how much more bull-shit is invloved for me?
WHat is needed to get the ball rolling and cost?
What kind of firearms are allowed as C&R's. I caught something about not being able to change the firearm form the original config? So that means I can get an old Enfield or Mauser and built a bitchin custom rifle? Im lost guys give me some heads up
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#9]
3-4 weeks? Heck, I've been leaving messages for my ATF state licensing rep for the past three days with no return calls.  I just sent my application in about 1 1/2 weeks ago.  Will that raise a red flag? Did I jump the gun, so to speak?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top