Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2017 12:35:30 PM EDT
An interesting debate that'll start soon...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41008141

A start-up that lets residents monitor who drives in and out of their neighbourhood was among the companies revealed at a Silicon Valley event on Monday.
Flock's sensor, which it offers for $50 a year per house, logs the number plates of every car that drives into a street and takes a picture. The sensor could eventually provide facial recognition.
Residents of monitored neighbourhoods can opt-out of being tracked - but visitors, or people passing through, cannot.
Flock is backed by Y Combinator, a start-up “incubator” which in the past has funded successes including Dropbox, Reddit and AirBnB.
A privacy expert said he believed the data collection to be legal according to US law, but that the idea could ignite a debate about the "right to be left alone in public”.
“One of the great weaknesses in US privacy law is that we only protect against intrusions into private areas, not public spaces,” said Albert Gidari, director of privacy at Stanford Law School's Center for Internet and Society.
"Public roads through neighbourhoods, licence plates, pedestrians on public sidewalks etc all are fair game," he said.
The data is only made available to “neighbourhood leaders”, Flock says, and is a tool that could be used to fight crime.
To date, one person has been convicted thanks to evidence captured by the device.
“An unfortunate individual drove into one of our [monitored] neighbourhoods,” explained Garret Langley, chief executive and co-founder of Flock.
"He put a nice road bike in the back of his car, and drove off with both the window down and the trunk open.
"Not only do we have footage of his licence plate, we have a picture of his face and a picture of the bike in the back.”
‘Not our data'
The technology was shown off at Y Combinator’s Demo Day, the twice-yearly event at which entrepreneurs pitch their companies to several hundred investors.
Flock’s devices are being trialled in seven neighbourhoods in and around Atlanta, with more locations across the US currently being considered.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll allow it.
Put up a sign informing drivers of it. Don't want to be recorded coming into my neighborhood?
Don't come in.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Those that give up liberty for freedom deserve neither but let's photograph and record all the things!  Someone's douche bag idea to make money.  

In other news; in some states it's illegal to run plates unless you are sworn LE for privacy reasons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Public roads? Fuck that.

With that said, where can I invest.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
nvrmnd
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as I can opt out I will tolerate it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't see how this is much different than having a regular security camera which is able to see license plate numbers, or a game camera.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see how this is much different than having a regular security camera which is able to see license plate numbers, or a game camera.
View Quote
That's how I saw it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The older I get; If I stay in the city/suburbs, A gated community is starting to sound more and more appealing, unless the HoA has some epically stupid rules. I'd be okay with this thing, not so much on public roads/neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Driving is a privilege

Might help out that driveby shooting member
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#10]
BAHAHAHA.  You guys know this isn't new?  It's not like it hasn't been in use on hundreds of roadways across the U.S. for over a decade or anything.  Ever go into DFW airport?  They have had these for about 12y.  How about ANY public toll road in Texas?  Yup, they all have them.  So does the Maryland toll system.

Beyond that these devices have been privately available for tow truck drivers to mount in their trucks.  They roll through a parking lot scanning all the LP's and bouncing them off a repo database.  When they get a match it brings up the vehicle data of the car to be repo'd and they can snatch it right there.  But to get that repo they had to scan every LP in the parking lot.  

Not new.

Not novel.

If you weren't outraged 10y ago why get outraged now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Does this stuff actually work?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those that give up liberty for freedom deserve neither but let's photograph and record all the things!  Someone's douche bag idea to make money.  

In other news; in some states it's illegal to run plates unless you are sworn LE for privacy reasons.
View Quote
Who said anything about running plates?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
So it works better than a gated community without the inconvience of the gate.  Cool.
---
lived in a gated community for a few years.  The gate would have never stopped someone who cared to get in, just slow them down for a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
No at all... Was Mythbusted...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
BAHAHAHA.  You guys know this isn't new?

Not new.

Not novel.

View Quote
I have been warning about the slide towards the Surveillance Society for over 10yrs. I've seen people here go from tolerating Big Brother to embracing him. In the 80's we watched a movie called Blade Runner. It was science fiction.  Soon, we're going to be living in a Blade Runner-like dystopian future with the Surveillance Society pieces of Minority Report thrown in for good measure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Only if it's a can of white spray paint.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]
The data is only made available to “neighbourhood leaders”  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sure THAT will never, ever be abused .
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
My security cams already capture every vehicle that drives by my house.   Doesn't every arfcommer have security cams by now?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#20]
We have a manned gate 12 hours a day and a key card system and cameras the other twelve hours.
I'm good with that.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome!  I've always wanted one of these.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Divorce lawyers salivating with subpoenas already.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm a neighborhood leader!  You're a neighborhood leader!  Everyone's a neighborhood leader!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not.  But people will whine about it anyways.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Burbclaves, huh.

I wonder when the third party offerings go from passive to active. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#28]
i have some security cams set up outside my house. they are focused on doorways and carport. before i bought the cameras i used ipcamtalk to find out more about cameras. there were a number of threads on there from folks who wanted to capture license plates with cameras mounted near the street. apparently there are a number of logistic issues, positioning of the camera near the street, the angle of the camera, what the camera used a night to illuminate the license plate and so forth. i assume these folks have resolved those issues. but from what i could tell simply putting a camera out near the street, even with ir illumination the results were often disappointing. now i know you can buy pro stuff but the existing HD cameras dont work as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
YOu don't need to look through hours of video to get the info.  It is snapped and scanned.  Much more intrusive.  You can see how many times the pool boy drops in to bang the neighbors wife. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's how I saw it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's how I saw it.
Like many new takes on old tech. The difference is in the automation, data wearhousing, back end analytics and information sharing. It's not simply that you can note the plate on a specific vehicle that caught your eye or that you can manually review footage after an incident. It's that you can automatically collect, store, process, correlate, and share.

We are headed at full speed into a nearly unimaginable future. Shaping what the machine thinks of you will become an active endeavor. Privacy will become a luxury of luddite hermits, the technically sophisticated, and the independently wealthy

Julien-K Black Market Machines 2015 (Audio Stream)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Several communities have similar devices installed.
View Quote
Median Washington has been doing it for years.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/cameras-keep-track-of-all-cars-entering-medina/
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have been warning about the slide towards the Surveillance Society for over 10yrs. I've seen people here go from tolerating Big Brother to embracing him. In the 80's we watched a movie called Blade Runner. It was science fiction.  Soon, we're going to be living in a Blade Runner-like dystopian future with the Surveillance Society pieces of Minority Report thrown in for good measure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BAHAHAHA.  You guys know this isn't new?

Not new.

Not novel.

There's no stopping it.

The technology will only get better.

The younger generations will grow up with all the 24/7 surveillance and not think twice about it,us older folks will die off.............
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can security footage be sold to the highest bidder?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So I'll know which neighbors to burgle?
View Quote
Probably lots of safeguards to prevent bad people from accessing the information and using it to see who's home,or schedules,or.......
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you suggesting that recording a plate is somehow equivalent to running a plate?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#38]
My city has plans to install plate loggers at five main intersections plus a trailer that they can setup in "active" areas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's not a bad point.

A privacy expert said he believed the data collection to be legal according to US law, but that the idea could ignite a debate about the "right to be left alone in public”.
To me that could also affect whether or not LEOs could infringe on that right by reading your plates too.

Although, who decides who the neighborhood "leader" is?  I've seen neighborhoods where more than one resident felt that he/she was the "leader" of the area.  

And perhaps more importantly, what happens if there is a clear leader... and that leader abuses the information?  Perhaps uses it for their own personal interests, or - perhaps even worse - dictates who can be privy to it & plays favorites?    ... Say if both Neighbor ABC & XYZ have break ins, but the Leader likes the first but not the second, so only lets ABC know which cars were in the area at the time of the break in.  (Think of HOAs as examples - clear leaders but some HOAs are already freakin corrupt as it is)

This is why I think this format is going to be somewhat doomed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't need that where I live, 6 mile long dead end dirt road off another dirt road, off another dirt road. You either live here, are visiting someone who lives here, are a UPS or Postal driver, or are really fucking lost if you wind up on my road. Plus we have a scary looking dude named Dale who lives right by the way in who is always outside messing around with his yard and/or one of his cars, and if he doesn't recognize you he'll ask if you're fucking lost and/or tell you to go away.

Dale's a crazy bastard, but I never worry about who's coming down the road knowing he's standing watch out there, doing what he loves. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
My cameras can log license plate numbers already exactly as shown in the picture.  

This is not new or special technology nor can anyone do shit about it if I decided to collect that data from the street.  

It sounds like a company just repackaging existing technology and marketing it to HOAs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We're only just at the tip of the post-privacy world and things are only going to continue to change and become more connected.

It will be done in the name of safety and security, of course, and bit at a time ... like dropping a frog in boiling water.

You're going to see biometic tied ID cards locked to your eye's iris or your fingerprints. Later it could be to your actual DNA itself.

Real time tracking of vehicles and people is already possible following cellphones.

George Orwell missed it by just a few years.

It's our liberty and freedom that are at stake and people continue to allow the federal government to grow stronger and stronger and to give commercial companies more of their daily activities.
View Quote
I don't see any way to stop it.

Kids will be born into it and look at it all as normal-Just have to wait for us older folks to die off.

The freedom ship sailed a long long time ago,and isn't coming back.

I said for years that microchipping kids would be a start-kid gets grabbed and rescued quickly because they had him chipped,and people would be lining up to have their kids chipped.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#47]
our neighborhood has something like it, it does facial pictures is the main reason, we had a lot of breakins , do not remember the city asking for permission. not sure if they charge residents, the difference is they do not share the logs or photos. it takes the plates to.  its night vision capable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Are you suggesting that recording a plate is somehow equivalent to running a plate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me guess, you've got nothing to hide.  

What possible other reason could someone have to "record" a plate?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#49]
So would a hacker (or the gov.) be able to change things around?

Put your car/face in place of someone else and screw you over?

Or is that unpossible and I've watched too many movies over the years?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So would a hacker (or the gov.) be able to change things around?

Put your car/face in place of someone else and screw you over?

Or is that unpossible and I've watched too many movies over the years?
View Quote
DAMMIT ZOE!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top