Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2005 12:17:25 PM EDT
I just made a donation to the red cross through their web site for $100. It was simple and I know that it will go strait through to relief victims.

IS there a way for AR15.com to collect money and forward it to the red cross or some other organization of choice to help out?

I know what I gave is not much but I hope it will help someone out there that needs that more than I do.

Here is the link to send money!

www.redcross.org/
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:24:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vedubin01:
I just made a donation to the red cross through their web site for $100. It was simple and I know that it will go strait through to relief victims.

IS there a way for AR15.com to collect money and forward it to the red cross or some other organization of choice to help out?

I know what I gave is not much but I hope it will help someone out there that needs that more than I do.

www.redcross.org/

Not me. WAY too many O'Rielly, Hannity, Limbaugh reports of abuses of charity money. I will not contribute.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:31:58 PM EDT
Hey I hear you on that, but I just hope that it will help someone that needs it better than I!

I tried!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:39:03 PM EDT
I wouldnt give any money to those assholes they screwed so many people over including our own people in WWII.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:39:19 PM EDT
Used to donate to the Red Cross & United Way - but after the RC told my buddy that he was SOL
when he needed help going home on emergency leave, and UW officials being caught with their
hands in the cookie jar - no more. They can f#*k off!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:42:18 PM EDT
I think they have a lot of 9-11 money left.

slate.msn.com/id/2058498/

And what happened to all the money from the tsunami relief?

Give if you want, but I think some of these agencies have turned into guile-less bastards.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:48:51 PM EDT
Are you sure it will make it?
Wasn't to long ago the head guy of the red cross was stealing money if I am right.

www.redcross.org/

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:49:10 PM EDT
donate supplys not money, they still take supplys. donate canned food, gloves ,tents, shit paper (needed real bad), paper towels, etc you get the idea. they need shit paper just as bad as water, these folks are having to take shits right next the other person and its only getting worse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:01:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:01:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:11:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
after watching the RC and the salvation army respond during IVAN.

give the money to the Savation Army. They were MUCH more effective and responded faster to areas the RC would not enter.

What TBS said. I believe that the SA will put it to better use.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:15:05 PM EDT
I think that was the United Way.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By xcell:
Are you sure it will make it?
Wasn't to long ago the head guy of the red cross was stealing money if I am right.

www.redcross.org/

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:18:31 PM EDT
I still say send ammo.......
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:03:16 PM EDT

give the money to the Savation Army. They were MUCH more effective and responded faster to areas the RC would not enter.

+1

The Salvation Army will get more out of your dollars, to more people quicker, than anyone else will.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:09:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:10:08 PM EDT
I'm not a fan of the Red Cross, so I donated to the Salvation Army. More of the cash goes to those in need, and less goes to overhead with SA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 2:22:55 PM EDT by Q3131A]
Donate here:

www.salvationarmyusa.org/USNSAHome.htm

Salvation Army

Least administration cost of any major charity. Whole orginization is Christian based.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:19:06 PM EDT
I still believe there should be a Salvation Marine Corps. "This is my Bible, This is my gun, This is for Jesus, This is for fun."

I'm sending money to the Salvation Army.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:30:59 PM EDT
I donate my money to an organization that will use 100% for those who need it without skimming money off the top. I think the Red Cross skims too much for itself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:54:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 3:21:34 PM EDT by kill-9]
I'm making my sizable donation by way of the government. In fact I donate constantly, in many various ways.

ETA:

From www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/01/katrina.congress.ap/index.html:

"Several officials said $10 billion would cover immediate costs for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the government's front-line responder in cases of natural disasters. Several hundred million dollars would also be provided to fund the Pentagon's disaster relief efforts, congressional aides said."
[...]
"FEMA is spending more than $500 million a day as it struggles to respond to devastating flooding in New Orleans and severe destruction that spans the length of the Gulf Coast from Louisiana to Florida."
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:03:52 PM EDT
[rant] In 1981, when I was a teenager, my hometown experienced a flood. My home
was under 8 feet of water. I learned a lot about the Red Cross during that experience.

During the first hours of the cleanup/recovery, 2 "charities" came by my house delivering
food, water, other assistance.

First, the Red Cross came, SELLING sandwiches, SELLING mattresses and blankets.

Second, the Salvation Army came by, GIVING AWAY food and water, GIVING AWAY blankets.

The Red Cross came in a brand new fancy Ford 1 ton vehicle with pretty paint, the Salvation
Army came in a beat up panel van.

I'll never forget that, being 13 years old and seeing the difference in behavior.

Red Cross has NEVER seen one cent from me, and never will. Salvation Army gets
100% of my contributions in cases like this.

Take a look the next time you are watching the news, notice the nice new shiny
vehicles the Red Cross is driving. Is that where you want your money to go?
Not me.

[/rant]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:05:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 3:06:06 PM EDT by yayo]
I dont donate to releif agencies. I would much rather send a case of ramen noodles, that way I know it isnt going into someone's pockets, just their cabinets ;))

Better to volunteer to help. The fed's will take care of the money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:16:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:
Donate here:

Salvation Army

Least administration cost of any major charity. Whole orginization is Christian based.

thanks for the link. i already donated $20 to the rc but will be glad to donate another $20 to the sa.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:20:38 PM EDT
Just my own experience. During the last few years, I've seen both the Red Cross and the Salvation Army respond to local emergencies before anyone even had a chance to request their assistance. They've both earned my respect for being there at crucial times and bringing the right supplies and necessities when they were the most needed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:48:00 PM EDT
I agree with HR and others here If you give twenty dollars and only five makes it to the relief factor,then thats five more dollars than what have been used if you gave nothing!!!

I'm giving to the SA!!!

I think some of my paycheck goes to the United Way also!!! Don't know where that goes(but I don't know where my FICA goes either)anyway if you work and pay Taxes then you are helping somewhere somehow!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:20:21 PM EDT
United Way is the parent org for the American Red Cross.

Red Cross is the authority to grant emergency leave to military members during family crises and, well, emergencies in the lives of the soldiers and sailors.

I went without leave for two and one half years while in the Army during the 80's. I had 75 days of accrued leave on the books. During a training cycle, my mother was admited to the hospital for surgery to repair some health issues. At the same time, the same hospital, as mother, my Grandmother, was admited for a bi-lateral mastectomy (removal of both breasts due to aggressive cancer). Both surgeries were considered to be high risk and for Grandma, life threatening. Go to CO to get leave approved (I lived six hours away from post). CO tells me I'd have to get approval from Red Cross because of training cycle. Training cycle. Training. Go to Red Cross. Red Cross deems it would not be an emergency or family crises and would not involve itself in the matter. CO refuses to budge.

I lost my Grandmother shortly after I got out of the Army and I lost my mother 8 years after my Grandmother. Time that I will never get to spend with them again. Thanks, ARC and UW.

American Red Cross and United Way can KMA and I have vowed to never give a red cent to them in my life. I have had terrorist tactics used on me to contribute to UW to do 100% company compliance. My resolve was set in stone.

My story was not the only one at Campbell during that time. The only thing the Red Cross was on post for was to collect blood during manditory blood drives. I never donated blood either. They do nothing to assist our troops and use them for blood taps to get free blood which they sell for $600 a unit. Pathetic.

I do have a wonderful story about the USO coming to my aid and never expecting it, and it still brings a tear to my eye to tell it. God Bless the USO.

I vote for SA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:23:58 PM EDT
I gave some to the Red Cross. Will give more to the Salvation Army along with whatever I can clean out of my house ASAP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:35:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 9:45:58 PM EDT by SoCalJBT]
I'm too far to offer my personal services, so I'm in for $200.

ETA: Red Cross. Say what you will, but they are the most effective charity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 8:52:28 PM EDT by FN-TPS]
The American Red Cross is not a charity...It's a multi million dollar Corperation like Enron, that sells blood instead of oil.

Only something on the order of 13% of red cross funds go to disaster relief.

Try Googling Red Cross+Blood Trail, if you ever really want to know where all that blood from Red Cross Blood Drives really goes and who's pockets the profits go in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:53:04 PM EDT

No you don't. They collected all that money after 9-11 and so much of it DIDN'T go to the victims of 9-11. So much so that I vowed to NEVER give them money again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:54:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rkbar15:

What TBS said. I believe that the SA will put it to better use.

Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:56:17 PM EDT
Not one dime.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:21:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:
Donate here:

Salvation Army

Thanks for the tip. C-note sent their way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:38:42 PM EDT
I made a large contribution to the economy today... $159 for 1k rounds of XM193PD (I got 5) and an equal number of Federal AE 230gr .45acp @ $170 a case of 1000.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:05:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AcidGambit:
I made a large contribution to the economy today... $159 for 1k rounds of XM193PD (I got 5) and an equal number of Federal AE 230gr .45acp @ $170 a case of 1000.

Ahhh, investing in precious metals. I often invest in lead, copper and brass, myself. Sometimes it can be more valuable than gold or silver. Unless it's Silver-Tips.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:26:27 PM EDT
Not a fan of red cross either im afraid.

Majority of my extra funds go to the USO, MWR, and the Salvation Army.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 10:29:07 PM EDT by Mak]
I would not give one dime to the American Red Cross. As good as thieves.

I used to donate to the Red Cross and others through the Combined Federal Campaign and then I decided that my CFC donations would go to the NRA legal defense fund and Eddie Eagle education fund. That is what I thought when I filled out the paperwork 2 years in a row.

Somewhere along the line the people who ended up with my allotment forms decided to make some changes and my money was donated to animal rights charities, environmental organizations, and an anti organization.

I don't know if it was one of the co-workers who was collecting the forms or someone at the Combined Federal Campaign but in the years that have followed I have shredded those CFC forms when they give them to me at work. I never give through the Combined Federal Campaign/United Way any more because of some idiot playing around with my forms.

I think the Salvation Army is the best way to donate now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:11:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rtech:
The only thing the Red Cross was on post for was to collect blood during manditory blood drives. I never donated blood either. They do nothing to assist our troops and use them for blood taps to get free blood which they sell for $600 a unit. Pathetic.

There are several hundred dollars in direct/indirect costs associated in processing the blood for eventual use. I also know that if you don't donate blood you are cutting your nose off to spite your face. You never know when you might need blood to save your life or that of a family member.

If you are near a Armed Services Blood Program you can donate directly to the military.

www.militaryblood.dod.mil/donor_info/donor_centers.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:19:37 AM EDT
Sorry, not dime one from me either!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:19:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 5:21:02 AM EDT by John_Wayne777]

Originally Posted By ThirtyCal_FAL:

www.redcross.org/

Not me. WAY too many O'Rielly, Hannity, Limbaugh reports of abuses of charity money. I will not contribute.

By all means, if anyone would like to contribute to relief but is wary of charity abuses, let me offer an alternative!

My church, The Church of God based in Cleveland TN, has an organization within it called Operation Compassion. They spend ALL funds on getting supplies to needy people. The workers are mostly volunteer (truck drivers, organizers, etc are all volunteers) and the paid staff (only a couple of people) are paid out of a budget entirely seperate from the actual Operation Compassion funds.

Every dime you send there goes directly to meeting people's needs. They have already sent in 20 tractor trailers loaded with supplies. There is a special project number set up for NO relief. (All monies contributed to that project number must be spent on that project according to the bylaws of the church AND federal law...)

www.faithnews.cc/features/katrina/

If you would like to help but want to give to an organization that will spend the money properly, I can personally vouch for this one. I know the people running it and all the behind the scenes baseball on how the money is spent.

Money sent there WILL result in supplies going to needy folks. I guarantee it....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:45:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:51:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
By all means, if anyone would like to contribute to relief but is wary of charity abuses, let me offer an alternative!

My church, The Church of God based in Cleveland TN, has an organization within it called Operation Compassion. They spend ALL funds on getting supplies to needy people. The workers are mostly volunteer (truck drivers, organizers, etc are all volunteers) and the paid staff (only a couple of people) are paid out of a budget entirely seperate from the actual Operation Compassion funds.

Every dime you send there goes directly to meeting people's needs. They have already sent in 20 tractor trailers loaded with supplies. There is a special project number set up for NO relief. (All monies contributed to that project number must be spent on that project according to the bylaws of the church AND federal law...)

www.faithnews.cc/features/katrina/

If you would like to help but want to give to an organization that will spend the money properly, I can personally vouch for this one. I know the people running it and all the behind the scenes baseball on how the money is spent.

Money sent there WILL result in supplies going to needy folks. I guarantee it....

Good point JW777. I send my money through my church's relief/welfare program. I know that 100% of the money will go towards helping the needy.

Yes, CMJ, there is overhead like gasoline for shipping food, water, tents, hygiene kits, etc. But all the money goes towards helping the needy instead of lining some president's or vice president's pocket.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:35:51 AM EDT
I decided to never give money to the American Red Cross after hearing what they did to a friend of mine who was wounded during the Korean War. At the hospital, he thought he was given access to the phone to call his parents at home and was given some books and candy. He found out that his pay was docked through the US government and had to work his bill off for several months without receiving any net pay. I would imagine the cost for a commercial long distance call from Korea to the US in 1952 would be pretty steep.

The Salvation Army sounds like a good idea for my donation.
Top Top