Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 5:54:42 PM EDT
After carefully reviewing Elena Kagan's record and testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, I must oppose her nomination.

OUR VIEW: Kagan deserves bipartisan backing, but won't get it

The American people want judges who impartially follow the text of the Constitution. They reject judges who use their power to impose their own political views — liberal or conservative — on the nation.

Throughout her career, Ms. Kagan has placed her politics above the law.

She has never been a judge, never tried a case before a jury and has practiced law for only three years. She is the least experienced nominee in the last half-century.

Her self-identified judicial heroes are among the most activist judges to ever serve. She even worked to confirm ACLU General Counsel Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the most activist judge now on the Supreme Court.

As a senior adviser to President Clinton, she was instrumental in efforts to restrict private gun rights and to stop legislation to limit "partial-birth" abortions.

As dean of Harvard Law School, Ms. Kagan kicked the military out of the campus recruitment office in violation of the federal law's equal access requirement. Because of her personal opposition to the "don't ask, don't tell" statute, she demeaned and punished the military as our troops were fighting and dying in two wars overseas.

Later, as solicitor general, Ms. Kagan gravely jeopardized the same statute when she allowed a severely flawed circuit court ruling to stand without challenge, despite her sworn duty to defend the law.

Unfortunately, her testimony at the Senate hearing failed to address these concerns, and was more like White House spin than a clear and honest response to questions.

President Obama himself has said that he looks for judges who will impose "their broader vision of what America should be." That is what he thinks he has in Ms. Kagan: someone who shares his big-government vision for the country, and who is willing to advance it from the bench.

In fact, when asked at the hearing, Ms. Kagan was unable to identify any constitutional limits on the government's power to control people's economic decisions.

Americans who are deeply troubled by Washington's growing disregard for the Constitution should also be troubled by this nomination. No senator should vote to confirm an individual to any court who lacks fidelity to the law.

Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama is the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2010-07-21-sessions21_ST_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats my Senator
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Even with all that, we will still have to deal with the dumb, communist bitch for the rest of her miserable life. So goes the rabid stupidity of liberalism in America.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thats my Senator

me to
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome.  Now if the faggot from SC would see the light.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Awesome.  Now if the faggot from SC would see the light.

Don't hold your breath.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad we have two good Senators.

I wonder what it's like to have some of the abominations other states have elected?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Jeff,

Did it ever occur to you that the POTUS should get who ever he nominated confirmed?

Guess not
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey Jeff,

Did it ever occur to you that the POTUS should get who ever he nominated confirmed?

Guess not

If that is the case.... then, why even have a vote?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Jeff,

Guess not

Being sarcastic

Ever seen a Democrat say that???
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hey Jeff,

Guess not

Edited. Sarcasm meter needs recalibration.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Let us also not forget that The Wise Latina (who may be latina but is definitely not wise), Sonia Sotomayor,  while in her confirmation hearings

before the Senate, stated in response to a question,  that the 2nd amendment's scope was settled law via the Heller Vs. DC case.  

Yet, she wrote a dissenting opinion in the McDonald vs. Chicago case,  stating that the 2nd amendment was never meant to be interpreted

as saying that the individual people were to be permitted to be armed for self defense.

Kagan would be every bit the liar that Sotomayor is.   Lie to get in, then do what you please after successfully snowing Congress with your

billions of barrels of bullshit.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Jeff,

Guess not

Being sarcastic

Ever seen a Democrat say that???

Oops.. my bad.

Troll post was not a troll post.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Well some of those Repubs are serious about what I posted.

They believe that (hence voting for Kagan)

Senator Sessions is not. Is he really a R?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm glad we have two good Senators.

I wonder what it's like to have some of the abominations other states have elected?

It's awful. My two "Republican" senators had a photo op with Ted Kennedy on alien amnesty a while back.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Sessions strikes me as a good one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sessions strikes me as a good one.

No Senator Grahmnesty is the good guy
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hey Jeff,

Guess not

Thankfully my sarcasm meter isn't broke.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:58:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey Jeff,

Guess not

ok, so Im told my sarcasm meter is broken,

so, please clarify...you are joking right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top