Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2016 4:45:59 PM EDT

Sen. Graham Reminds His ‘Friends in the NRA’ That ‘Every Right Has Boundaries’

by Sam Reisman | 4:12 pm, June 21st, 2016

At a press conference held Tuesday afternoon by a bipartisan coalition of senators urging new legislation that would prevent people on the no-fly list from buying guns, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) urged his “friends in the NRA” to remember that “every right has boundaries.”

“I own a AR-15. If you’re on this list, it doesn’t bother me one bit that you can’t buy one right away,” Graham said. “Here’s what I’m willing to say to the people of South Carolina: We’re at war. And I don’t know how to really protect our nation without changing the way we do business in a fashion that makes sense.”

Though it was far from a panacea against radical Islamic terrorism, he said the proposal was a “step in the right direction” to preventing homeland attacks.

“To my friends at the NRA,” Graham said, “I understand your concern about denying somebody the right to buy a gun. That’s a constitutional right. But every right — whether speech or buying a weapon or any other constitutional right — has boundaries on it.”

The proposal would prohibit gun sales to those on the no-fly list, and it would flag for the authorities any gun purchases made by someone who had been investigated for terrorism in the last five years, according to Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), who has been leading the charge on the plan. Anyone on the list could appeal and recover attorneys’ fees if successful, and the burden of proof would be on the government, she added.

Graham was one of a number of senators co-sponsoring Collins’ proposal who spoke at the press conference, including Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Angus King (I-ME), and Bill Nelson (D-FL). “They keep using the word bipartisan” to describe the coalition, King said. “I prefer the word nonpartisan.”

The press conference came one day after four gun measures, two from Republicans, two from Democrats, were each defeated on the Senate floor Monday. Two of those proposals — one from Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-TX) and one from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) — were written with the goal of blocking gun sales to people suspected of having terrorist ties. Both failed to gather the 60 votes necessary to advance.

“As we had the votes yesterday on the Senate floor,” Ayotte said, “we knew what the result was going to be. And this is an opportunity for us — instead of having political votes that we know are going to fail — to stop the politics with this issue.” Ayotte, who was instrumental in crafting the appeals process of the proposal, added: “This is a common sense bipartisan proposal to ensure that terrorists cannot purchase firearms. No fly, no buy. And this is one that ensures that Americans have the due process protections that they need to challenge the finding if they believe it is wrong.”

“This is a straightforward proposal,” Heinrich said. “I think we’re all heartsick at the terrible Groundhog Day feeling that we’ve had as we’ve seen shooting after shooting after shooting in this country.”

Kaine said that the Senate had been “impotent, weak, silent, and a bystander to this carnage and violence.”

Graham said that it was far less likely for an innocent person to end up on the list than it was for someone on the list to buy a gun and use it in a terrorist attack.

“We can fix the problem with the innocent person,” he noted. “Once the gun’s bought, you don’t fix that.”

Read more at: Mediaite

Call, write, email and visit the local district office of your federally elected officials to respectfully make your opinion known. Keep up the fight ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:49:14 PM EDT
Every Right Has Boundaries
View Quote

How many gun laws do we have on the books now?

Why do I even need to say this? If we restrict rights (even just a little) each time someone does something bad, we will soon have NOTHING LEFT TO RESTRICT. It's extremely simple.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:53:38 PM EDT
When will you fellows vote this Pos out of office?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:56:03 PM EDT
So the Second Amendment, Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments mean nothing.

Due Process is a myth.
If you can be put on a secret list and have your Constitutional rights denied with no legal notification.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:59:10 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nigmalg:

Why do I even need to say this? If we restrict rights (even just a little) each time someone does something bad, we will soon have NOTHING LEFT TO RESTRICT. It's extremely simple.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nigmalg:
Every Right Has Boundaries

Tens of thousands brother. Graham has been out of his norm since losing in the Presidential primaries so badly. He was just re-elected so he doesn't care what he says with another five years until re-election time again. Time to call, write, email and for those of you brothers and sister who reside in the Great State of South Carolina...visit his local district office to respectfully advise him and his staff of your opinion.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:02:29 PM EDT
I wish equal logic flows would be used when comparing thing to the first amendment. There is no ban on words. There is a ban on inciting panic and making threats.
Example:
I can say. I wish all "purple people eaters" would die.
I can't say. I'm going to kill all "purple people eaters".
The latter goes beyond the bounds of the first amendment. It's making a threat to a group/individual person.
Same thing should apply to the the 2A.
Example:
I should be able to posses any gun I want.
I shouldn't be able to arbitrarily point those gun at anyone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:03:22 PM EDT
Eat a turd, Lindsay.
Top Top