Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2013 6:07:31 AM EDT
This little project has been going on for about a month.  I'm taking my bathrooms from white "cultured" marble to quartz (Cambria) in the master, and exotic granite (Golden Beach) in the half bath.  I'm putting two new faucets in the master.

Last night I unhooked the plumbing connections. To prepare for demo:

Before:

Pics coming of "after".
BTW--I'm female and will be doing most of the plumbing and fixture removal/replacement myself.

The faucets have been removed from the master:

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Faucets are mounted but I still have drain plumbing to take care of.  Pics of the finished product coming!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Finished except for some touch up painting around the edges:

I did have to have some help on one plumbing connection since I don't own a hacksaw.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Those look really nice!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those look really nice!

I have had dreams of yanking that cultured marble shit out since I moved in.  I just never thought I'd like it as much as I do, especially the new faucets in the master.
I've fixed toilets and leaky showers and sinks but this was the first time I've installed a new faucet and drain from scratch.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice job.

I currently have two bathrooms underway.  They had those fully enclosed including ceiling fiberglass shower and tub units in them.  One was tan and the other was pink that had been painted.
Yuck.

I was waffling on granite, but I'm pretty sure that's what we are going to wind up with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice job.

I currently have two bathrooms underway.  They had those fully enclosed including ceiling fiberglass shower and tub units in them.  One was tan and the other was pink that had been painted.
Yuck.

I was waffling on granite, but I'm pretty sure that's what we are going to wind up with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Your cheapest alternative (if pricing there and here is consistent) is granite.  The slab I used for the half is an exotic and it is normally priced at about $90-95 a square foot.  But the piece I got was a reminant so I only paid $48.  The quartz was more expensive (they are proud of it, Caesarstone, and Hanstone).  The Cambria was priced at $78 a square foot but comes in an enormous color range.  Great if you're looking for a color that granite doesn't come in (lime green, bright blue), and does not need to be sealed or have any kind of maintenance done on it.  It is harder and non-porous compared to granite.

My faucets were new and came off EBay...got them half price.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Bravo!
You did an excellent job, and the after pics look great!
I used to do that sort of thing for a living, and it's not as easy as it seems.
You even saved quite a bit on materials by taking your time and buying smart.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bravo!
You did an excellent job, and the after pics look great!
I used to do that sort of thing for a living, and it's not as easy as it seems.
You even saved quite a bit on materials by taking your time and buying smart.

I know GD makes jokes about women spending, but I was on a budget for this job and stuck to it.  

This project of mine has been going for over a month, so I took my time and got competitive pricing and picked out faucets PRIOR to having my counters cut.  I ordered the Cambria literally a month ago since they only "mill" once a week at the plant.  That's why it takes a long time to get in.  The other thing about Cambria is that they don't have "remnants"--that is, I was told there is no "leftover" from a job.  It's not like Granite where you can buy a slab and have some left over and get the remnant piece for cheap.

Holy Crap was I taken back when I found out the prices on two toned faucets!  That faucet goes for about $125-$150 new in a store.  Widespread ones cost even more!  I did look online at a few salvage places (which BTW, is a GREAT idea if you are near ones) for faucets and found you can get them as cheaply as $20 for nice ones.  I found the ones I got on Ebay and the seller put them on for $59 each.

Everything taken out is being reused in another home, with the exception of the copper tubing.  It's going to be scrapped and I'm going to offset some of my costs with the money I get for that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Turned out great!
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe next year I'll get around to doing the one upstairs.  The guys who brought in my granite pieces said they get light remnants in a lot more than I realize.  I've got to find one light enough to take the colors upstairs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top