Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:24:41 PM EDT
Hey guys,

There is a guy with a weird army email address (at first it was @us.army.mil, but his responses have @3BCT1AD.ID3.ARMY.MIL) that says he may want to buy my Trans Am but he will not be back in the states until December.

Does the hive mind have any suggestions that may help the situation, protecting all parties? I want to avoid a possible scam and make sure he feels comfortable with the sale.

I am not in a hurry to sell it and want it to go to someone who would appreciate it. But I can't sit on it hoping that he will show.

I suggested him paying for the car (cash?), I send him the title when all is clear, he insures it for full coverage to give him piece of mind, and I store it for a few months. It pretty much sits in the garage anyway since it is a weekend fun car.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:29:50 PM EDT
Good luck getting someone to agree to those terms.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:30:50 PM EDT
duh - that is why I am asking for advice....he suggested a downpayment to hold the car
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:34:57 PM EDT
Make the down payment non-refundable. If he's serious he will do it. I can't figure a sight unseen deal is legit. Would you buy a car from a complete stranger without seeing it first? This smells bad to me but hey, I'm not the trusting sort.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:35:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mikejohnson:
duh - that is why I am asking for advice....he suggested a downpayment to hold the car

I just sold a car and held for a guy for 3 weeks. He paid a NONREFUNDABLE deposit of subtantial size (25%). He bought it sight unseen and was very comfortable with those terms. I gave him a reciept that said the amount and non-refundable on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:39:53 PM EDT
what about the email address? could that just be a server thing and not really an issue? kind of like @comcast.net but you can also put the local @plano1.tx.comcast.net ???
Top Top