Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2002 4:40:56 PM EDT
Well, I went to shoot my M91 for the 1st time today. The only ammo. available here in PNS was Sellier & Bellot (Expensive to Boot).

So, I went to the range and loaded 1 round to test it out. It fired no problem. So, I loaded 5 in the magazine and closed the bolt on the 1st round. Fired no problem.

But, the 3rd round had a little too much resistance (Harder than normal to get in the chamber). Since the M91 is a Bolt-Action, I simply pulled the bolt back and extracted the round. I looked at it and immediately realized what was wrong. The bullet was tilted sideways slightly and the neck was damaged. The bullet went in and out of the case easily. So, I placed the round aside and visually inspected the rest of the ammunition. The rest was fine, so I continued to shoot.

I wonder what would have happened if I had been like some people and had simply applied more force to the bolt to get the round in. I'd hate to think what would have happened if I had fired a round with a damaged neck. Can you say KaBoom.

I have heard some horror sotries about S&B causing KBs. This just confirms that they don't seem to have good QC.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
good situational awareness, glad you saved yore rifle from a KB.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You have a picture of the round?
I'm not really familiar with the M91, I'm assuming it's rated for NATO spec ammo?
I've fired some of the worst bent and dented ammunition you have ever seen in issued M-16s and never had a KB. My standing joke was "Hey, it's got a forward assist, and ..... it's not really MY rifle......."
Maybe I was lucky.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The M91 is a Russian .30 Caliber Bolt-Action Rifle that was made until about the time that the SKS came out.

Mine was made by Iskvesk (Russian Arms Maker) in 1943.

The round is 7.62x54mm Russian.
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I wasn't thinking too clearly.
I was given something like what you are describing. The rifle I have is a Moisin-Nagant which, believe it or not, was manufactured by Remington right before Russia's "great war" in 1918. Remington was supposed to fill a contract for 1,000,000 rifles to Russia between 1916 and 1918. Once the war started, Remington was stuck with 650,000 rifles, some of which they sold (cheap) to the US Military for training. The one I have is not in too bad of shape, but it has been sporterized. Kicks like a mule.
I've seen ammo for it with a delivered cost of around $53/440 for some Hungarian surplus.
I cleaned mine up pretty good and only fired about 20 rounds of surplus stuff I got locally to see if it would function. Ordered some dies from Lee and brass from Norma. I guess I could use some of the surp ammo but wanted to see if I could wring out a tad more accuracy with reloads. You caught me off guard. I found a good site for you to check out
[url]http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/sniper.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top