Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 10:20:05 AM EDT
I'm thinking about selling my Aimpoint Comp, GG&G Aimpoint Ring, GG&G F.I.R.E. Scout length Rail, Leupold 1.5-5X VariX 3 Illuminated Reticle Scope, Leupold high QRW rings and buying an TAO1 NSN ACOG.

I have a flattop Bushmaster Vmatch - 16"

What do you guys that have TAO1 NSN's think? Should I do it. Is it worth it to get rid of all my other stuff and just go with one multi-purpose scope ?

I mostly just shoot at the range 100 to 300 yards anyways. Are the TAO1 NSN's good for short range shooting too? (50 yards and below?)
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
ESP...

I have the ACOG NSN, and I love it. Absolutely bomb-proof 4x optic. I hear some people bitch about the reticle, the back-up iron sights and other things. All I have to say is that it is hands down the best over all optic I've ever had on an AR. I love it.

That being said, I don't think I'd trade all the stuff you've mentioned for one. That's a lot of good stuff you're talking about trading. The NSN can work @50 yards, but it certainly wasn't designed for it.

For 100-300 yard shooting, like you said you mostly do, the NSN would be great. I just think you should hold off until you can afford one without losing your other optics.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
M4's right.  The Trijicon's a great scope although expensive, but I would hang on to the other stuff ya got too.

The TAO1 is fine for short range, it helps to switch to binocular vision and make sure you adjust for parallax error inside 25M, but you would have to do that with the carry handle iron sights anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a great scope, If only it had the BAC aiming setup & the Donut type reticle for close in work like the TA-31 it would be perfect!  Wait I guess the TA-31 is perfect!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say hold on to your aimpoint--a great sight for rapid acquisition. I've both an aimpoint in a GG&G cantilever mount as well as a ACOG NSN. Overall I sorta give the edge to the aimpoint, and with the relatively short distances you mentioned what's not to love about the aimpoint? The only thing I'd change about the NSN is the eye relief, which I feel is way too short--my NSN is mounted on a pre-ban with collapsible stock and I find I have to keep it in the shortest position with my nose touching the charging handle for me to get a good sight picture. Not sure how it would be on a post-ban full stock.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The NSN is a fantastic battle sight!  I routinely pop head-sized balloons at 300 yds freestanding and have no trouble at 400 yds doing the same from a rest.  The CQB ghost ring is nice but would benefit from some dots on the ring.  I actually practice using the CQB sight at the 25 yd land and it works just fine (not exactly BAC but what the hell [:)]).  Compared to the Elcan the NSN is superior in most respects, especially in weight and precision reticle, and only falls behind in optical quality.  I'm not dissing the NSN there either, the optics are excellent, it's just that the Leica optics of the Elcan are just so superb.

While it replaced the Comp M on my M4 I still have the Aimpoint because there's no better optic inside of 100 yds.  I just like shooting at the longer lanes these days!

If I were you I guess I'd dump the Leupold and rings to get some seed money for the NSN but definately keep the Comp.  Unless you're planning on getting an Comp M2 down the line like I am [;)]...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top