Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/4/2003 11:58:45 AM EDT
I am moving at the end of the month, and our new house will not be ready. I can either have the movers take control of my firearms (yeah, right) and store them with our household goods, or haul them up with me and store them in a climate controlled self storage at our new location. Anyone have any first hand experience with using self storage units for firearms? I have around 30 long guns. Thanks, Bud
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:03:13 PM EDT
I recently moved too. DONT let the movers pack or store your guns. I only let them pack one (a shotgun) by the time I got it back it was totally rusted on the outside, too forever to get off. Climate controlled storage sounds good to me. The ones we took in the car stayed at our hotel room for the month that we were looking for a house.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:06:48 PM EDT
I have taken many a call of a self-storage burglary. I wouldnt do it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:10:59 PM EDT
try to get an interior room, unload you truck in as near as possible place to your unit to avoid lookie loo's..insure the hell out of them and don't tell ANYONE what you have ,not even the storage rental people, they ar not always of the best character...I've heard so many stories about only guns being taken from storage units, makes me wonder how the theif knew they were there and just where to look. of course some were fraud cases made to look like theivery...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:15:42 PM EDT
Maybe if they are in a safe, certainly not if they are loose. I'd also cram extra weight in the safe so it's as heavy as I can make it. Make sure there is extra security. I think it's still chancy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:39:00 PM EDT
I don't think I would store them. Maybe call a trustworthy friend or relative for safe keeping until your house is done.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:57:49 PM EDT
Niether. I'd keep them all in the car(Trunk) if I were you. Oil em all up, roll em up in pastic or wax paper (So the oil dont soak through), and lay em out in layers in your trunk with cardboard in between the layers. I'd put all the ammo in the safe to weigh it down some more, and put that in storage.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:09:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Andreuha: Niether. I'd keep them all in the car(Trunk) if I were you. Oil em all up, roll em up in pastic or wax paper (So the oil dont soak through), and lay em out in layers in your trunk with cardboard in between the layers. I'd put all the ammo in the safe to weigh it down some more, and put that in storage............. so someone can steal your car AND all your guns at the same time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:13:23 PM EDT
Trusted friend or relative is always the best bet.
Top Top